toldailytopic: At what point does a person become a person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 30th, 2011 09:44 AM

toldailytopic: At what point does a person become a person?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Would it then follow that any living human without a heart beat or brain activity isn't a person?

Yes, that would follow. (Just don't assume the worst about this statement.) Initial brain or heart activity is a good line of demarcation.

WizardofOz

Anything other than the point of conception seems entirely arbitrary.
:thumb:
That's really what it all comes down to.

A person who is pro-choice up to a certain point of development is good at arguing with themselves.....dependent on what time it is, of course ;)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we spend a lot of time on

what is a person
who is pro life
what is pro life etc

but
not so much time on the best way to address the problem of abortion

personhood
amend the constitution
vote third party
vote republican

Why?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Anything other than the point of conception seems entirely arbitrary.

I have an established, vested right to my life. Any attempt to divest me of it without violative cause (the only recognized abrogation and one sponsored by my action) would be an offense against the principle of law that protects it. That is, you can't simply walk up and shoot me in my noggin because you're unconvinced of my humanity.

In that we see the problem from the origin end of things. If you can't demonstrate the point of divestment then you can't, with any more honest and rational authority, make the case for vesting either.

Now if we can't find the means to objectively vest or divest relative to the standard at law we are compelled to either recognize every point along my line or reject the foundation of the right and with it every point.

Who, other than Gerald, votes for open season? :plain:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Implantation of the zygote in the uterus.

And for fish and other creatures that lack a uterus and fertilization occurs in another place? Many species of fish, for instance...are they not fish then since there was no implantation? Or do they become fish at the moment of the joining of the egg with the sperm?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
we spend a lot of time on

what is a person
who is pro life
what is pro life etc

but
not so much time on the best way to address the problem of abortion

personhood
amend the constitution
vote third party
vote republican

Why?

Simple...under law, execute those engaging in abortion the same way that other murderers are executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.