toldailytopic: How did the universe come into existence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 23rd, 2011 10:10 AM

toldailytopic: How did the universe come into existence?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I used to believe that the universe was somehow all contained within a tiny spec of super dense matter and than it exploded and expanded into what we see today. Yet there are far too many problems with that theory in my opinion (most notably where did that spec of dense matter come from?)

For me... the most logical, scientifically possible, and realistic explanation is that a supernatural God designed and then created (out of nothing) all that exists to today.

Silent Hunter

I used to believe that the universe was somehow all contained within a tiny spec of super dense matter and then god caused it to explode and expand into what we see today. Yet there are far too many problems with that theory in my opinion (most notably where did god come from?).

For me . . . the most logical, scientifically possible, and realistic explanation is that no supernatural god designed and then created (out of nothing) all that exists to today . . . rather the universe has always existed . . . in one form or another.

pqmomba8

I used to believe that the universe was somehow all contained within a tiny spec of super dense matter and than it exploded and expanded into what we see today. Yet there are far too many problems with that theory in my opinion (most notably where did that spec of dense matter come from?)

For me... the most logical, scientifically possible, and realistic explanation is that a supernatural God designed and then created (out of nothing) all that exists to today.

I thought the universe was sneezed out of the right nostril of G-d. :)

But seriously, I will grant you that the big bang theory is a pretty heavy concept to wrap one's mind around. But, to take that and make a leap to "an invisible, non material, magical being" created the universe......well........doesn't that take a much higher leap of faith?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
...doesn't that take a much higher leap of faith?
I don't think so. :idunno:

Matter and energy creating themselves out of nothingness is entirely implausible to me. Yet it's very plausible to imagine the universe being created by a force outside of the natural realm.

ragTagblues

Ahhh this is a long and arduous topic to answer and can cause many problems in explanation, in answering this point I may have to reference several respected sources on the subject.

The problem starts with the fact that no one actually likes the universe very much and tend to talk about it in hushed tones, as one would about an alcoholic uncle or someone who voted for the 3rd party! "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." (Douglas Adams, 1984). So first we have to get past the very painful subject or 'taboo' if you will of talking about the creation of the universe, I urge you all to remember when reading this that "There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side" (Homeless Man, 2001).

We are also faced with the problem of what would that mean to existentialists everywhere to find out how and why the universe was created. A top British scientist theorized that - “There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.” (Douglas Adams, 1984). For without this issue are we not all destined to become pot smokers?

I think in light of this information that we are better off not knowing how it was created and should be able to continue our existence in blissful ignorance.

pqmomba8

Ahhh this is a long and arduous topic to answer and can cause many problems in explanation, in answering this point I may have to reference several respected sources on the subject.

The problem starts with the fact that no one actually likes the universe very much and tend to talk about it in hushed tones, as one would about an alcoholic uncle or someone who voted for the 3rd party! "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." (Douglas Adams, 1984). So first we have to get past the very painful subject or 'taboo' if you will of talking about the creation of the universe, I urge you all to remember when reading this that "There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side" (Homeless Man, 2001).

We are also faced with the problem of what would that mean to existentialists everywhere to find out how and why the universe was created. A top British scientist theorized that - “There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.” (Douglas Adams, 1984). For without this issue are we not all destined to become pot smokers?

I think in light of this information that we are better off not knowing how it was created and should be able to continue our existence in blissful ignorance.

Douglas Adams - R.I.P.....the man was a literary GENIUS!!!!!!!

lucybelle

TOL Princess
I believe that God created the universe... That's easy.
The tough question is... did He do it in literally 6, 24-hour, days. THAT's where I start to get a little gray...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All material things have a point of origin. That point is the necessarily uncaused cause and immaterial spirit: God.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe that God created the universe... That's easy. The tough question is... did He do it in literally 6, 24-hour, days. THAT's where I start to get a little gray...

Don't worry about it. You'll have enough problems just mentioning God. :D

I believe the account in Genesis 1 is historically accurate and is to be understood as it is plainly read.

In a little more detail and with some extra details from human understanding:

Day1:
God made the Earth and the stars by putting their masses in the right places, switching on gravity and stretching everything at the same time.

Day2:
God made the crust of the Earth dividing the oceans half under and half above it.

Day3:
Gravity pulled thicker parts of the Earth's crust (called Heaven) downward which made lighter parts go up and out of the water. He then made a garden.

Day4:
God created the sun and the moon.

Day5:
God made fish and birds.

Day6:
God made animals and people.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh. And in the late 1800's, God created Rugby and gave it to a soccer player. :D

He has a way of taking the weak and the lowly and making them strong. :thumb:

fool

Hall of Fame
Matter and energy creating themselves out of nothingness is entirely implausible to me. Yet it's very plausible to imagine the universe being created by a force outside of the natural realm.

Why would the force have to be outside the natural realm?

Status
Not open for further replies.