toldailytopic: Should vegetarians have equal rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dena

I have no issues with vegetarians. I've limited myself to fish, eggs and chicken. I try to keep my consumption of chicken down a bit too.

Getting meat that is treated ethically can be difficult so I see why some would opt out of it all together. I do think it's wrong to eat animals that have been tortured so I try not to participate in that sort of thing. I eat only chicken from one place and I never eat meat that I didn't purchase myself.

Last edited:

Angel7

Vegas Cowboy...To your comment it's unnatural...(We're talking about vegetarians, remember?) My reply was is it a choice or was I born this way (vegetarian.) :p Who's to say it is unnatural?

autumn_trees37

Hahaha!!! I love the Silence of the Lamb's response. Honestly, I think vegetarians are entitled to their own views. If they want to go without meat, that's their choice. Those of us who are interested in ways to make money can start a restaurant business that caters to vegetarians and charge them 5 times as much. It could help us boost the economy. =D

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vegas Cowboy...To your comment it's unnatural...

Got it, thanks.

(We're talking about vegetarians, remember?)

:think: I do remember that, come to think of it.

My reply was is it a choice or was I born this way (vegetarian.) :p

Definitely a choice.

Who's to say it is unnatural?

That would be me, which is why I said it. I have a card which entitles me to certify things as natural or unnatural. :p

:wave2:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Got it, thanks.

:think: I do remember that, come to think of it.

Definitely a choice.

That would be me, which is why I said it. I have a card which entitles me to certify things as natural or unnatural. :p

I have a bigger card:chew:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have no issues with vegetarians. I've limited myself to fish, eggs and chicken. I try to keep my consumption of chicken down a bit too.

Getting meat that is treated ethically can be difficult so I see why some would opt out of it all together. I do think it's wrong to eat animals that have been tortured so I don't not to participate in that sort of thing. I eat only chicken from one place and I never eat meat that I didn't purchase myself.

I would agree. This was not always the case and today, it is more ethical treatment when the animal is alive.

Vegas Cowboy...To your comment it's unnatural...(We're talking about vegetarians, remember?) My reply was is it a choice or was I born this way (vegetarian.) :p Who's to say it is unnatural?

No one other than you. It is a personal issue, nothing less, nothing more. :wave:

One Eyed Jack

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 16th, 2011 09:47 AM

toldailytopic: Should vegetarians have equal rights?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sure. Does anyone actually think they shouldn't?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fair enough indeed. I just took issue with the connection to those who value animal rights as it really doesn't make a good argument in itself.

I'm not talking about those who value animal rights. I'm talking about those who want to make animals equal to humans. There's a difference.

And again, fair enough. I'm not a vegetarian but I support the rights of animals to be treat humanely and without any cruelty whether bred for consumption or otherwise. There's no excuse for it whatsoever. One of my best friends turned 'veggie' years ago after witnessing the culling in an abbatoir, and is also staunchly anti abortion as well....

:e4e:

There's a big difference between supporting the humane treatment of animals and wanting to outlaw ownership of animals or trying to make animals equal to man, in my opinion. I was talking about the extreme fringe in my statement above.

That said, I think it's healthier to eat a mixture of meat and vegetables and grains, for us. On top of that, it's rather limiting to keep oneself to just to vegetables and grains. :)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Sure. Does anyone actually think they shouldn't?

Knight has to thing up the topic of the day, with a little help from his friends. Not all can be provocative.

You're right, no one thinks they should have less rights, unless within the church of the fatted cow:kookoo:

Arthur Brain

I'm not talking about those who value animal rights. I'm talking about those who want to make animals equal to humans. There's a difference.

There is, but they're a fringe and hardly representative of the whole. We had a nut organization here called the 'Animal Liberation Front' at one point. They threatened to poison chocolate bars and such to further their "cause", which did anything but if they actually had the sense to see it...

There's a big difference between supporting the humane treatment of animals and wanting to outlaw ownership of animals or trying to make animals equal to man, in my opinion. I was talking about the extreme fringe in my statement above.

Exactly. It's only a fanatical extreme that promotes that type of thinking which didn't seem to come over in your original post, but that could also have been my reading of it. I think I'd have felt inclined to make my point anyway at some juncture...:D

That said, I think it's healthier to eat a mixture of meat and vegetables and grains, for us. On top of that, it's rather limiting to keep oneself to just to vegetables and grains. :)

Indeed. Man can't live by bread alone an all that....

Having said that my veggie mate is more healthy than I am....

:noid:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
There are always extreme cases, as there are extreme persons, many people need to feel part of a people thing, whatever that is, or if I am making sense, people need validation. That is better

Here is a sensible reason, I eat little meat now because heavy food makes me feel sick, there is no ideological, or moral bases involved. I do what I do because I choose to do it. I do not much care if other people like it or not.

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I never mind eating a vegetarian meal if the cook is very creative. I don't think I would mind being a vegetarian if I had my own chef or if I had a lot of time to devote to cooking. I don't like meals that are supposed to approximate the taste of meat though.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I never mind eating a vegetarian meal if the cook is very creative. I don't think I would mind being a vegetarian if I had my own chef or if I had a lot of time to devote to cooking. I don't like meals that are supposed to approximate the taste of meat though.

Sounds good! Finding a good cook is not easy. Mine, she likes to talk about subjects, which bore me. Today, I slept through her 11:00AM until 2PM visit. This was very good indeed! She woke me, rather she came into my room for payment.

genuineoriginal

Proposed Constitiutional Amendment:
No Protected Status Based on Vegetarian or Vegan diet. Neither the United States, through any of its branches or departments, nor any of its agencies or political subdivisions, shall enact, adopt or enforce any statute, regulation, ordinance or policy whereby Vegetarian or Vegan diet, conduct, or practices shall constitute or otherwise be the basis of or entitle any person or class of persons to have or claim any minority status, quota preferences, protected status or claim of discrimination.​

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do enjoy a good wild mushroom pizza. :chew:

Of course, it's made even better with the addition of sausage, ham, pepperoni, meatballs.........................

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Personally I believe we need more vegetarians.

Means more meat for the rest of us, no? :squint:

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.