toldailytopic: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker: Hero or zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't, but that's what lawyers like to do.

My wife went to law school in Boston; If I had a nickle for everytime she has said "When I went to law school in Boston..." I could have retired many years ago.
That's what LAWYERS like to do? Do I really have to remind you that I was responding to a question you asked, while pointing out the irrelevance of it? You, not I, were interjecting irrelevancies. In point of fact, it's a tactic I often see employed by people who feel they are losing on the merits of a discussion, whether attorney or otherwise, in an attempt to shift the focus away from the losing topic. Which is, of course, why I called you on it. :D

PL

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
:plain:

Huh? Of course you will. Just check in with Chrysostom.

We'll see what happens with Walker's shenanigans. I certainly don't believe he's a hero, but on a bright side, maybe it's thrust some union issues into the public eye enough that we can begin taking a reasonable look at problems with unions, and find ways to make them work better... I believe the unions in the US need a serious overhaul. I do believe unions are important. I don't believe taking away collective bargaining rights is right. Private or public.

yes
but
I really get upset with the public ones

I have, but you are only interested in establishing yourself as the smartest person in the thread instead of addressing my argument.
You're already resorting to ad hominem attacks? Instead of worrying about my motives, just make your point, already. If you're on firm ground with your beliefs, why all the obfuscation?

Because the more money and benefits the greedy PUBLIC sector unions ask for, the more my taxes go up.

So, you think desire to pay a smaller bill justifies command pricing and breaking the labor market. Under that rationale, we would be operating under a Soviet system. You do understand that command pricing is the very thing that drove the economy of the USSR into the ground, the thing that the Cold War was waged over, and one of two key points that defines communism (the other being state ownership of the means of production)? You know, the thing that you righties like to scream about whenever Obama does, well, anything? You do get that that's what you're advocating for, don't you? I get a real kick out of righties who get so tangled in talking points that they advocate communism.

Anyway, were we to apply your rationale, the US would be operating on a command economy pricing system instead of a market pricing system. Since I'm guessing you don't understand why that's a bad thing (you advocate it, after all), I'll lay it out, again in broad strokes. Everyone wants to pay less for everything. That's essentially a restatement of enlightened self-interest. A market system takes advantage of it by pitting it against itself, suppliers and demanders, engaged in negotiation, a process which elicits information from both parties, helps to define the net gain from an agreement, and decides on how that gain is to be split. By contrast, a command pricing system simply sets prices where it thinks they should be, ignoring that enlightened self interest and letting the chips fall as they will, and often winds up with surpluses and shortages as a result, as the price set is only rarely at market equilibrium, the price where quantity supplied meets quantity demanded for a given product. In short, the market way is vastly more efficient - this is the underpinning of the mixed market economy we are in. That's also why wanting to pay less for something doesn't justify resort to command pricing - market failure, and often severe inefficiency results. It's a really crappy way to manage an economy - just ask the USSR.

To help make the above concepts clearer, I'll provide an example. The labor market is fairly complex, with a number of popular economic models to describe it, and I'm trying to keep this simple, so I'll go with a product instead. Let's use the B2 Stealth Bomber. We want to pay less for these things - they're like 2 bill a pop. So we use your rationale and go with command pricing instead. We decide we're only going to pay 1.5 billion. Of course, the real value of that bomber is 2 billion, give or take, so what we're essentially doing is pocketing 500 million of extra profit from the transaction for the taxpayer, and extracting it from the company making the bomber.

Of course, no company is going to want to make the 1.5 bil bomber, and in this case, it simply wouldn't get built, unless the government nationalized the company's means of production (this is a major reason why command pricing and nationalization go hand-in-hand). In the case of labor, however, the supply is fairly inelastic unless the job in question requires little training. That is to say, about the same amount of labor is going to be supplied no matter the price set. This allows employers to seek to carve out extra profit without the need to nationalize - the worker is going to wind up working at less than market value, resulting in market failure, unless they have some organized resistance. This is one major reason why we have labor unions to begin with.

It's also worth pointing out that, the more elastic a unionized supply of labor is (the less training it requires to do the job), the more the benefits of the union extend beyond the union, to other workers in the broader labor market, because they have more valuable alternatives - their wages increase as the result of unionized labor. The trend is alarmingly clear in this graph:

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2011/01/20/report-incomes/

In fact, that graph is probably showing an even stronger correlation than actually exists, since a whole host of republican policies over the last three decades have been exerting a downward pressure on middle class income, aside from unionbusting. Mostly, this has involved quietly doing nothing: for example, refusing to peg the minimum wage to inflation, but inflation-indexing the alternative minimum tax, which results in an inflationary pay cut for the majority of workers every year, staggered with the middle class gradually paying more in taxes as they enter higher brackets due to the inflation. Or refusing to close tax loopholes that allow CEOs and major corporations to pay less than even the lowest tax bracket (janitors and secretaries being the favorite comparisons there). There are more active measures as well, like starving the IRS of funding - something they're trying to do again this year (and also something that is COMPLETELY at odds with their supposed newfound fiscal responsibility).

PL

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Delmar observes that when he catches the barbarian race pimping again by accusing the Tea Party without evidence of "showing signs assailing Jews and blacks" the barbarians defense is "the Republicans are calling them racist too".

Am I saying that there are no racists in the Tea Party movement? No I am not. I am also certain that there are racist Republicans and racist Democrats. My point is this...

Delmar has pointed out to the barbarian, in the past, that if examples of "showing signs assailing Jews and blacks" were common, the barbarian easily be able to quickly come up with dozens and dozens of examples of this with a quick Google search instead of the two or three examples he was able to provide, when I busted him for race pimping last time!

Racism is real. It really does harm to people and standing against it is too important to use for political advantage against your enemies! You should be ashamed of yourself!

chrysostom observes the futility of pointing something out to the barbarian

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Town Heretic laughs and laughs. :plain:

you don't think much of my arguments
but
you know where I stand

many here can not only complete my sentences
but
they can also do my posts

you on the other hand do a very good job of arguing your position
but
we still do not know exactly what it is

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you don't think much of my arguments
but
you know where I stand
I don't see a great deal of argument from you. That's what I object to. You like simple declaratives and questions instead of answers to inquiry on the very points you raise. That's poor sportsmanship and worse discourse.

many here can not only complete my sentences
but
they can also do my posts
Many could do the same for Letsargue or squeaky. And?

you on the other hand do a very good job of arguing your position
but
we still do not know exactly what it is
Rubbish. This is your general meat/declarative insult by insinuation. It was no more true the first time you made a dancing remark than it is now. I've played against that on occasion in response to it, which was probably a mistake...but at the time I couldn't believe you were serious.

Else, if you don't understand what I believe on an issue then you either don't read me or don't mean to understand as I rarely enter any substantive topic without opinion and illustration/reason in support of a particular position. But, again, to understand where someone stands you have to substantively engage them and not dance around with declarations you don't mean to defend and invitations to inquiry you don't mean to answer.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Delmar observes that when he catches the barbarian race pimping again

You probably should avoid using that term, since it's commonly used by groups like Storm Front and Aryan Nation. It's the way racists try to excuse themselves by counter-denials. I'm sure you didn't intend to support them, but you should know that.

by accusing the Tea Party without evidence of "showing signs assailing Jews and blacks"

I already showed them to you. And yes, even some republicans are angry about it. I showed you that, too.

Am I saying that there are no racists in the Tea Party movement? No I am not. I am also certain that there are racist Republicans and racist Democrats.

Indeed, I have encountered antisemitic democrats. No so many who hate black people. I don't see that as an excuse. Nor should you.

Delmar has pointed out to the barbarian, in the past, that if examples of "showing signs assailing Jews and blacks" were common, the barbarian easily be able to quickly come up with dozens and dozens of examples of this with a quick Google search instead of the two or three examples he was able to provide, when I busted him for race pimping last time!

Someone named Delmar told me I was right about the problem, last time. I assumed it was you.

Racism is real. It really does harm to people and standing against it is too important to use for political advantage against your enemies!

It is something we should assail wherever and whenever it appears. If the tea party decides to distance themselves from that, then good on them. If not, then they deserve our scorn.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

I think people who post slurs against others for their race or ethnicity are contemptible. Not everyone thinks so. I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.