toldailytopic: The oil crisis. What are some ideas that might help us be less depende

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 7th, 2011 11:03 AM

toldailytopic: The oil crisis. What are some ideas that might help us be less dependent on foreign oil?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Oil jumps to near $107 amid fierce Libya fighting

Oil prices climbed to near $106 a barrel Monday as intense fighting between Libyan government forces and rebels appeared to be turning into a civil war and raised the prospect of a prolonged cut in crude exports from the OPEC nation.

By early afternoon in Europe, benchmark crude for April delivery was up $2.25 to $106.67 a barrel, the highest since September 2008, in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract had gained $2.51 to settle at $104.42 a barrel on Friday.

In London, Brent crude for April delivery was up $1.80 to $117.77 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange.

Over the weekend, supporters and opponents of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi fought in several cities, heightening fears that the country is headed for a protracted conflict. Libya's oil output has fallen by at least 1 million barrels per day from 1.6 million since the uprising began last month.

read full story

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Mandate that:

No car produced or imported into this country can get less than 35 miles to the gallon within the next five years.

No car (other than police or emergency vehicles) can be sold or operated without a device that limits its top speed to a universally mandated 65 miles per hour maximum and enact harsh fiscal penalties for violations.

Any car currently on the road have installed a device to indicate speeds in excess of that within five years.

Also, give cash incentives to companies that convert their goods transporting rigs to natural gas and to stations that provide it.

Build a high speed railway system between major population centers to further undercut the cost of shipping large amounts of consumer goods and to make longer trips by consumers less wasteful and more affordable than driving or flying.

Just a few things that would have a staggering impact on our ability to cut the purse strings of nations that take our money but are hostile to our interests and undermine our economy.

some other dude

Yet the liberals in this country wont let us drill in areas that we know are rich in oil reserves.

Liberals3.jpg

Maybe we could figure out how to turn them into oil?

HisServant

I guess the true dirty little secret right now is that as far as oil goes, we do not really need to drill more wells in the US right now.. we have a shortage of production rigs that have been moved elsewhere in the world. On top of that many US oil companies have vast reserves of capped oil wells just waiting for the economic indicators to be just right before they open them up.

I would vote for more nuclear energy right now, in combination with solar and other renewables. As far as limiting speed on highways, I feel exactly the opposite, speed is not always a determination of fuel economy (for example, my truck has a sweet spot around 75mph where it gets the best economy).. the real problem is start-stop traffic.. so we need more efficient traffic routing.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Mandate that:

No car produced or imported into this country can get less than 35 miles to the gallon within the next five years.

No car (other than police or emergency vehicles) can be sold or operated without a device that limits its top speed to a universally mandated 65 miles per hour maximum and enact harsh fiscal penalties for violations.

Any car currently on the road have installed a device to indicate speeds in excess of that within five years.

Also, give cash incentives to companies that convert their goods transporting rigs to natural gas and to stations that provide it.

Build a high speed railway system between major population centers to further undercut the cost of shipping large amounts of consumer goods and to make longer trips by consumers less wasteful and more affordable than driving or flying.

Just a few things that would have a staggering impact on our ability to cut the purse strings of nations that take our money but are hostile to our interests and undermine our economy.

do you work for Obama
or
do you just get his memos?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
do you work for Obama
or
do you just get his memos?
Said the voice of Fox News. :plain:

Or: point me to the place where the current administration proposed any of these. I'd take that as an encouraging sign of some rationality in relation to the current untenable position of our nation regarding oil and consumption.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
high speed rail

I heard it on fox
So I mention one thing you heard on Fox that the President supports and you come up with that goofy response to me.

:plain:

You vote?

What, you work for David Duke or something? Because he supports voting too.

Good grief. :mmph:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So I mention one thing you heard on Fox that the President supports and you come up with that goofy response to me.

:plain:

You vote?

What, you work for David Duke or something? Because he supports voting too.

Good grief. :mmph:

fox said it was a lousy idea
so
maybe your other ones are as well

Status
Not open for further replies.