toldailytopic: Which TOL member(s) did you dislike at first but now like? (or vice ve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 23rd, 2011 12:08 PM

toldailytopic: Which TOL member(s) did you dislike at first but now like? (or vice versa)

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I always liked Granite (still do) but I think I've manage to wind up on his bad side.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
fool and town heretic were both on my "mock list" but I have grown to enjoy their fellowship greatly.

AMR, struck me as a "snooty" Calvinist but I now have common interests with him and I enjoy reading his posts.

Hilston used to drive me crazy, and while we will likely never see eye to eye on God's foreknowledge I respect his opinion a great deal and enjoy reading his posts.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I always liked Granite (still do) but I think I've manage to wind up on his bad side.

HUH? Since when? I know when someone's on my bad side!:sozo2: :madmad:

For what it's worth, man, I've always liked you. (Kicks the ground, looks at his shoes.)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
fool and town heretic were both on my "mock list" but have grown to enjoy their fellowship greatly.
Likewise. I still dust off the old "he yelled at me" story for the new kids now and then. :chuckle: It was an early abortion bit that changed our give and take and began a more serious consideration of common interests and approaches, if memory serves.

AMR, struck me as a "snooty" Calvinist but I now have common interests with him and enjoy reading his posts.
AMR and red were probably my earliest friends here, though Chrys was generous and supportive right out of the blocks. AMR was the easiest for me to understand at first, given his tendency to approach topics from a more academic and structured perspective...though his read on sovereignty still has me pulling hair. :eek:

I had a few dust ups that turned into friendships over time...Frank E and I began by throwing punches and ended up laughing together on a great deal...Stripe was another one where we circled for a bit before figuring the angle. And ghost. :chuckle: I think that's as close as I've come to a fist fight here, but it all worked out in the end.

I've found there are a good number of people here worth talking to and becoming fond of, some fairly strong disagreements and even fundamental assumptions about life notwithstanding. AB, zip, Rusha, seyd, Radish, MD...I could list a large number of those, within and outside of the faith.

I had more of a problem with LH and SH at first. Now I realize a great deal of it had to do with their relative youth and brass. So I don't get overly worried and find either of them (they're really a great deal alike if on opposite sides of the faith coin) can make a point worth hearing just when you're about to unsubscribe to a thread they're stomping around in.

Things have started out less than amiably with a few heathen who came in riding angry show ponies only to settle and alter methodology over time and alter my opinion and relation in kind. No point in naming names...And there are some, like Stuu, who can't seem to help themselves or get around their bias enough to even follow the rules of grammar relating to anything that touches on/relates to God and the Holy, but whom I'm fond enough of even so because I think their hearts are in the right place even if their heads are suspect... Al is another of that sort.

My earliest exchange with Granite ended with me calling him, I think, a popinjay, which got him chuckling and changed the subtext. Some people are like that. You have to rough and tumble a bit before you really take measure of one another and then there you go.

Cracked

Most that I didn't care to "hang out with", I still do not - though I have to say that I have tried (perhaps they have as well).

That being stated, I have to say Knight and LH. We are not buddies or anything, but I appreciate them. Okay, enough with the lovey-dovey...

some other dude

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 23rd, 2011 12:08 PM

toldailytopic: Which TOL member(s) did you dislike at first but now like? (or vice versa)

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I keep hoping that eventually I'll like Town Heretic. :)

WizardofOz

Stuu and Silent Hunter are beyond hope, but Stuu can at least be witty at times so his stock is up slightly in my book.

taikoo has been mocking less and is being more respectful of belief others have. That's a plus.

I'm sort of like/like less with greenrage depending on the topic. He's a bit too confrontational but isn't as bad as others make him out to be.

sod is usually trollish but can be funny

I've come to tolerate serpentdove. She doesn't annoy me like she used to.

aSC is a complete moron but I think I have come to understand what's driving him

Mary Contrary is my adversary but she is articulate and I respect her (a little) :p

mighty_duck is articulate and passes up the cheap jabs even when they're open

I don't argue with moderate right-wingers in general as often as I used to

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are three that really stand out for me:

Knight - we REALLY clashed when I first joined here. However, I am glad I was allowed to remain long enough to actually interact with him and realize he has a very kind and caring side to him ... as well as funny.

Ghost and Elohiym ... sort of the same thing. I have clashed with both but also had both of these members reach out to me at a time when I needed some uplifting words.

All three of these guys have a soft and extremely kind side (no matter how much they try to hide it). :eek:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Generally, those who I like I hit it off with pretty quickly. Never really had a big TOL falling out.

Those I dislike are sorted out with speed as well, although the full depth of their problems and reasons for disliking them occasionally take a little while to figure out.:cool:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Likewise. I still dust off the old "he yelled at me" story for the new kids now and then. :chuckle: It was an early abortion bit that changed our give and take and began a more serious consideration of common interests and approaches, if memory serves.

AMR and red were probably my earliest friends here, though Chrys was generous and supportive right out of the blocks. AMR was the easiest for me to understand at first, given his tendency to approach topics from a more academic and structured perspective...though his read on sovereignty still has me pulling hair. :eek:

I had a few dust ups that turned into friendships over time...Frank E and I began by throwing punches and ended up laughing together on a great deal...Stripe was another one where we circled for a bit before figuring the angle. And ghost. :chuckle: I think that's as close as I've come to a fist fight here, but it all worked out in the end.

I've found there are a good number of people here worth talking to and becoming fond of, some fairly strong disagreements and even fundamental assumptions about life notwithstanding. AB, zip, Rusha, seyd, Radish, MD...I could list a large number of those, within and outside of the faith.

I had more of a problem with LH and SH at first. Now I realize a great deal of it had to do with their relative youth and brass. So I don't get overly worried and find either of them (they're really a great deal alike if on opposite sides of the faith coin) can make a point worth hearing just when you're about to unsubscribe to a thread they're stomping around in.

Things have started out less than amiably with a few heathen who came in riding angry show ponies only to settle and alter methodology over time and alter my opinion and relation in kind. No point in naming names...And there are some, like Stuu, who can't seem to help themselves or get around their bias enough to even follow the rules of grammar relating to anything that touches on/relates to God and the Holy, but whom I'm fond enough of even so because I think their hearts are in the right place even if their heads are suspect... Al is another of that sort.

My earliest exchange with Granite ended with me calling him, I think, a popinjay, which got him chuckling and changed the subtext. Some people are like that. You have to rough and tumble a bit before you really take measure of one another and then there you go.

Popinjay?.....You called Granite a popinjay? :plain:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I appreciate the kind words from Knight given earlier above. Time has softened the animous we both bore towards one another initially. While our differing belief systems will always remain immiscible, we have managed to get along well in the past few years.

When I first joined I ran afoul of Ktoyou. Yes, I know that is hard to believe. But we soon became fast friends.

I prefer not to mention those that I started out enjoying discussions with who then slipped into never-ending vitriol or other bad behaviors. Just don't think it would serve any purpose to go into these matters as I prefer to keep the peace as much as possible.

I suppose I have mellowed over time, arriving at the point that I have to be more discerning with whom I spend time discussing topics with these days. Not every discussion is a "line in the sand" for me, nor any comment made in my direction obligates me to respond, so I try to pick and choose.

I enjoy TH when he is waxing eloquent and digging deep into his belief system, as it relieves me the pain of teasing out what he is all about theologically between the lines of his myriad posts tangential to the essential nuggets of where he stands. ;)

TH remains one of my first to read members, along with regulars like Lon, Assuranceagent, Hilston, Evoken, student_ad_x, WanderInFog, Psalmist, Nicholsmom, and Nang. If you are old enough, you would recognize the following allusion: they all are my TOL E. F. Huttons, "when they speak, everyone listens". ;)

My most frustrating experience, in that I think we both would perhaps learn a few things from one another, is with Sozo/Mystery/Door/Ghost, who often has interesting things to say, but, sadly, that useful content is sometimes lost by flights of uncontrolled intemperance.

Lastly, there is godrulz, an off-again, on-again relationship with whom I have adopted a more moderate attitude towards in 2011. :squint:

AMR

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm having a hard time thinking of someone I changed my feelings about. Generally I still like who I have always liked and don't like those who I never got along with.

One person comes to mind, who seems to have become a cranky old man. But I'll leave them nameless. :angel:

And of course, guys like Sozo and Elo can take you on a bit of a roller coaster ride. I love their input but don't always appreciate their attitudes and manner of discourse.

Thunder's Muse

On my very first day here on TOL, I had a run in with both TH and Mary C :chuckle:

I now consider them friends and can rely on them for encouragement, wisdom and lots of laughs.

I've had a few run ins with rainee...and to be honest, it troubles me. I don't like conflict and have decided to leave that one alone.

I've also found Door/Ghost to one of the kindest people around. If you can see past his hard exterior, there is a big softie :)

LH, Stripe and Nick M...we've had our share of 'not so nice' communication....but I've seen another side to them as well, and when I actually listen to what they say, I often learn something new.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

While it is not "I'm okay, you're okay"

Those whom I have disliked and taken up acquaintanceship are few, and never wind up in the ignore list, I just move on.

It would be the same for those whom I have liked and decided it isn't worth it, I move on.

For the most part I okay with everybody here at TOL, I'm sure that to some I'm just too whatever, still it is my nature to bring encouragement, hope, and comfort, which I shall continue to do.

This probably didn't explain anything, but sometimes you just say that's nice and leave it at that.

Yes, there are people that I do not like, they are outside of TOL.

ragTagblues

Hmmm no one spring to mind to be honest . . . .

Strip springs to mind I suppose, of course that was back in the days when he was Stipe . . . We still agree on very little; but these days we only discuss sport, to which I think we mostly agree . . .

I used to have the occasional scrap with the MODS back in the day; but not these days!

Which is less to do with a mutual liking and more to do with bigger fish to fry . . . :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.