toldailytopic: Which book in the Bible speaks to you the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 21st, 2011 11:53 AM

toldailytopic: Which book in the Bible speaks to you the most?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Romans directly speaks to the body of Christ therefore that is the book that speaks most directly to me in my opinion.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Romans is the letter that lays the foundation for the Body of Christ. It is the letter by which all other writings are to be evaluated concerning the Gospel that Jesus gave Paul for the church. I consider all things in the light of Romans.

Selaphiel

Luke-Acts. They belong together, so I hope that gets me off the hook for mentioning two :chuckle: If I had to choose among those two, I would choose the gospel of Luke.

Buzzword

kmoney said:
More and more I think Revelation should be only rarely focused on.

Seriously.
When I was a teen I made it my mission to "decode" the whole thing, especially after my dad suggested that many of the images (horses shooting fire and burning sulfur from their mouths, to name one) could be modern technology described using a very limited vocabulary.

...as I've gotten older, I've realized that no one has all the answers, which unfortunately doesn't prevent squabbling among Christians who think this or that part "obviously" means what they say it means.

I'm not sure if I'd say a particular book of the Bible "speaks" to me more than others, but in dealing with people on TOL God keeps bringing me back to James 1:19-20.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree with Knight and Ghost.....Romans is the hub.

Concerning the Revelation of Christ thru John, one can only understand it in light of the whole of scripture, especially GOD's plans for Israel as distinct from the Church.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Seriously.
When I was a teen I made it my mission to "decode" the whole thing, especially after my dad suggested that many of the images (horses shooting fire and burning sulfur from their mouths, to name one) could be modern technology described using a very limited vocabulary.

...as I've gotten older, I've realized that no one has all the answers, which unfortunately doesn't prevent squabbling among Christians who think this or that part "obviously" means what they say it means.

I'm not sure if I'd say a particular book of the Bible "speaks" to me more than others, but in dealing with people on TOL God keeps bringing me back to James 1:19-20.

I agree. I just think trying to decode and figure out Revelation with all the obscure imagery, etc. and figuring out who the anti-Christ is, etc. just creates confusion and strife. Forget the End Times and focus on the here and now.

And I know you were just answering the daily topic but...I also enjoy James. :up:

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I'm gonna be original here and say Romans. An in depth study of Romans brought me to Christ(I used to say back to Christ, but I don't believe I was saved until said study), and Romans is where I have my brain workouts!:eek:

Also, 1st Corinthians is amazing...

**edit: and 1 John!

**edit to that edit- and Psalms.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Luke-Acts. They belong together, so I hope that gets me off the hook for mentioning two :chuckle: If I had to choose among those two, I would choose the gospel of Luke.

Why the Gospel of Luke instead of one of the other gospels?

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Interesting choice. What makes you choose that?

Hi, money.

Some people turn to the Psalms when they're dealing with suffering of some sort. They find comfort in the writings. And that's fine, I suppose. But the Psalms were written to show Israel that they would be delivered from their tribulation in a physical sense. They show the wrath of God on the wicked, with justice being ultimately dealt out as Messiah sets up His kingdom, saving His people from the nations raging around them. We can take great application from the Psalms, but we in the Body of Christ aren't promised deliverance from persecution here on this earth.

II Corinthians deals with suffering, too, but in a very different way. That letter shows how to deal with suffering now, showing that we can rejoice even in the midst of the most severe persecution as we look not at the things of the flesh but at that which has an eternal weight of glory.

II Corinthians reveals Paul's perspective on pain and suffering in the flesh. We will never, in this flesh, be exempt from pain and suffering of some sort (some more than others). So I love this letter because we believers can read about Paul's trials, read his perspective on them, and shift our own focus on how we view the trials in our lives (sickness, death, money worries, etc.).

By reading the letter, we are exhorted to take our eyes off the things which are seen and keep them on the eternal.
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weigt of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. II Cor. 4:17-18​
Awesome stuff. I love II Corinthians.

Randy

Selaphiel

Why the Gospel of Luke instead of one of the other gospels?

Many of the unique stories it contains are among my favorite passages in the Bible:

Luke 7:36-50
Luke 9:54-56
Luke 10:25-36
Luke 15:11-32 (That story is basically the gospel in summation for me)
Luke 19:1-10
Luke 24:13-35

In addition it is masterfully told and I love the theology implied in the movement of events in Luke-Acts. The story in Luke moving towards Jerusalem, then Acts start in Jerusalem and spreads out through the world through the missionary work of the apostles.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

By reading the letter, we are exhorted to take our eyes off the things which are seen and keep them on the eternal.

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weigt of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. II Cor. 4:17-18​
Awesome stuff. I love II Corinthians.

Randy

:thumb:​

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
Which book in the Bible speaks to you the most?

One single book is difficult to pick, however I submit the following...

The O/T - the Psalms.

The N/T - Luke, John, Romans.

Status
Not open for further replies.