toldailytopic: Which is better: Mac, Windows, Linux, or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy2006

There is no reason to ever own a Mac. Get a Windows machine with better components for half the price with a huge selection of software. I enjoy Linux, but the constant sleuthing to get compatible software can get old.

I tend to agree with this. Mac has it's niche in the design industry and creeps in where the non-computer savvy consumer resides, but other than that the price is a just a joke for what you get.

Everything I need I can get with Windows and Linux, and Windows 7 easily competes with any Apple OS, no need to pay twice as much for the same hardware and equivalent software. You are also going to have more software selection with Windows, but you can always run Windows or an emulator on a Mac so that's probably a wash.

As far as customizing and micro-managing your computer goes, I can't stand Macs. Once they make the Apple logo 100x cooler I'll consider shelling out an extra $2000 for it :D

Android vs iOS or more generally open vs proprietary would be an interesting topic. :e4e:

pqmomba8

I tend to agree with this. Mac has it's niche in the design industry and creeps in where the non-computer savvy consumer resides, but other than that the price is a just a joke for what you get.

Everything I need I can get with Windows and Linux, and Windows 7 easily competes with any Apple OS, no need to pay twice as much for the same hardware and equivalent software. You are also going to have more software selection with Windows, but you can always run Windows or an emulator on a Mac so that's probably a wash.

As far as customizing and micro-managing your computer goes, I can't stand Macs. Once they make the Apple logo 100x cooler I'll consider shelling out an extra $2000 for it :D

Android vs iOS or more generally open vs proprietary would be an interesting topic. :e4e:

Android, Androind, Andoir....wait, did I mention that Android BLOWS iOS away? (Especially, if you root your phone......)

rexlunae

Apple makes computers, Microsoft makes software.

You know, I've often thought that the only thing Microsoft really makes well is hardware. I have a Microsoft keyboard on my FreeBSD workstation at work, and the same keyboard and Microsoft mouse on my Ubuntu workstation at home, and I love all of them. The Xboxs are actually decent platforms. When it comes to software though, the way that they've succeeded is not by having a superior product, but by cornering the market with exclusive contracts and leveraging other monopolies.

Why did everyone end up running MS-DOS? Because they had an exclusive contract with IBM. They leveraged this dominance to push Windows. Then they leveraged the dominance of Windows to push Office, and IE, and MSN. None of these products have ever been the best at anything, and many other companies have made their bread by being the better alternative.

They continue that strategy today. How are they trying to sell Windows Phone 7? By signing an exclusive deal with Nokia, the world's largest phone maker. They've got a lot of ground to make up there though.

For myself, I like FreeBSD for servers, and Ubuntu for desktops and workstations.

Status
Not open for further replies.