toldailytopic: What is a miracle? Is God still performing them to this day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 21st, 2011 10:18 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Many folks will claim that a blooming flower is a miracle or the birth of a baby is a miracle. It's true those things are amazing but claiming that a natural event is a miracle only undermines the importance of a true miracle.

A true miracle is something that happens yet COULD not happen via natural means (such as a completely dead man coming back to life).

God does not perform miracles just to show off. God has performed miracles in the past to signify events such as the coming of the Messiah, etc. I do not believe that God is performing miracles in this day and age.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From Fisher's Catechism:

"It [a miracle] is such an astonishing and surprising effect, contrary to the ordinary course of nature, as surpasses the power of all created beings, and can be produced by divine omnipotence only; such as, dividing the waters of the Red Sea and Jordan, making the sun to stand still, raising the dead, giving eye-sight to the born blind, curing all manner of diseases by a word, and the like."

AMR

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From Fisher's Catechism:

"It [a miracle] is such an astonishing and surprising effect, contrary to the ordinary course of nature, as surpasses the power of all created beings, and can be produced by divine omnipotence only; such as, dividing the waters of the Red Sea and Jordan, making the sun to stand still, raising the dead, giving eye-sight to the born blind, curing all manner of diseases by a word, and the like."

AMR
That's a good description of a miracle. :up:

Why did God perform miracles? And is He still performing them today?

oatmeal

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 21st, 2011 10:18 AM

Romans 10:9-10 People are choosing confess with their mouth the lord Jesus and believe in their heart that God raised him from the dead.

People today still believe in miracles.

God raising Jesus Christ from the dead is a miracle.

What about us?

What condition were we in before we did Romans 10:9-10?

Ephesians 2:1-3,12. Romans 5:12. Romans 1:28-32 Romans 3:23

We were in dire straits. We were dead in trespasses and sins.

What did salvation do for us?

Romans 3:22, Romans 5:1-5,9,21

We can reign in life Romans 5:17

Instead of death, we have eternal life. Romans 6:23

In stead of the world's losers. We are now more than conquerors. Romans 8:37

Instead of glorifying ourselves, we can glorify God who gave us eternal life. Romans 15:5-6

We have boldness and access with confidence to God himself.

Ephesians 3:12

God did that miracle for us. Yes, miracles by God continue.

Miracles done by the power of God in men's lives continue.

Paul did miracles, Peter did miracles, Philip did miracles. Acts 8:6

Not only is God doing miracles in people's lives, but believers, energized by the power of God in their lives are doing miracles as well.

oatmeal

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A person recovering from surgery in answer to prayer is not a miracle. Not is the birth of the child a miracle. These all happen withing the confines of the laws of Nature which God set into motion. A miracle is something that completely defies the laws of nature. It is God injecting into Nature and altering it for His purposes. That being said, Miracles are for the sake of the believer. Why do I say that?

Take a look at biblical history. When God did Miracles in front of Israel to deliver them from Egypt, what did they do? They worshiped a golden calf. When God fed them Manna and Quail, what did they do? They grumbled and ended up wandering for 40 years in the wilderness.

Mark 6:52
For they considered not the miracle of the loaves: for their heart was hardened.
and
John 6: 26
Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
In the end Jesus raised such ire that He was crucified, even though He did many miracles. They were believed by those waiting for Him, but those already set against Him, the miracles did not do any convincing.

Miracles don't move the hearts of people already set against the truth. People have pride and don't like being made to look like idiots. They would rather not admit they are wrong and just say the miracle is a sham. The Pharisees did that and accused Jesus of having a devil.

That being said: Do Miracles happen today?--I would say rarely if any at all. The so called miracles of Benny Hinn and Kathryn Khulman are not Miracles. If you do your research you find that their so called miracles are actually just a sham. One woman who was 'healed' by Khulman of bone cancer in the spine actually had her spine collapse and she died four months later.

rexlunae

A true miracle is something that happens yet COULD not happen via natural means (such as a completely dead man coming back to life).

Seems like a reasonable definition to me. It's important to make the distinction between things that are amazing, things that are extremely lucky, and things that are outright miraculous.

Shalom

I agree with the opening post Knight. The definition of a "miracle" in this conversation is really important too and something we would all have to agree on in order to understand each others opinions. I have never seen anything happen that can not completely be denied or disproved especially flat out physical miracles.
I have however "seen" things that "blow my mind" and I just may blurt out, "Wow! That was a miracle!!" Most of these being signs of a changed heart by God or a submission of somebody to Gods will and love. For example, Ive seen people I never ever thought would change come to the Lord unhardened and repentant, people over come personal struggles or addictions they have battled and fought with for years, or people grow leaps and bounds in their personal spiritual life. I have experienced all of this in my own personal relationship with the Lord. I know this is kind of a weird outlook but these above examples almost seem like "spiritual miracles". Is that possible? Still no matter what though these can all be deniable or disclaimed since only God can really know any mans heart. It was just a thought that popped into my mind when I read the OP that I decided to throw out there. :idea: :cool:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Even C.S. Lewis (non-charismatic) understood that a supernatural God 'naturally' can and does do miracles.

There is no exegetical basis for cessationism relating to miracles, healings, deliverance, gifts of the Spirit for the Church Age. Pentecostals are the largest and fastest group group of Christianity and rightly emphasize and experience the person and work of the Holy Spirit according to the Word as the first century church did.

Last edited:

elohiym

John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

That is being raised from the dead by the power of God to new life in Christ. It is a miracle by any definition of miracle.

I do not believe that God is performing miracles in this day and age.

Then nobody is being born of God in this day and age.

Mat 11:4-5 Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.

All those miracles are occurring today Knight. Every single one of them.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Knight and AMR's definitions work for me. And I do not believe God is performing miracles today on any kind of regular basis. And I have never seen one. And I used to go to an Assemblies of God church.:eek:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I agree with the opening post Knight. The definition of a "miracle" in this conversation is really important too and something we would all have to agree on in order to understand each others opinions. I have never seen anything happen that can not completely be denied or disproved especially flat out physical miracles.
I have however "seen" things that "blow my mind" and I just may blurt out, "Wow! That was a miracle!!" Most of these being signs of a changed heart by God or a submission of somebody to Gods will and love. For example, Ive seen people I never ever thought would change come to the Lord unhardened and repentant, people over come personal struggles or addictions they have battled and fought with for years, or people grow leaps and bounds in their personal spiritual life. I have experienced all of this in my own personal relationship with the Lord. I know this is kind of a weird outlook but these above examples almost seem like "spiritual miracles". Is that possible? Still no matter what though these can all be deniable or disclaimed since only God can really know any mans heart. It was just a thought that popped into my mind when I read the OP that I decided to throw out there. :idea: :cool:

:wave2: Hey Shalom. Hope you are doing well.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

What if we just aren't aware of natural means that can do certain things? Raising the dead seems straightforward, but things like tumors disappearing or the blind being able to see might be more difficult. :idunno:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Miracles don't move the hearts of people already set against the truth. People have pride and don't like being made to look like idiots. They would rather not admit they are wrong and just say the miracle is a sham. The Pharisees did that and accused Jesus of having a devil.
I guess it depends on the person.

Mat 11:21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
Mat 11:22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
Mat 11:23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
Mat 11:24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.​

One woman who was 'healed' by Khulman of bone cancer in the spine actually had her spine collapse and she died four months later.
She must not have been able to maintain the level of faith required to keep her miracle. :plain:

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
A person recovering from surgery in answer to prayer is not a miracle. Not is the birth of the child a miracle. These all happen withing the confines of the laws of Nature which God set into motion. A miracle is something that completely defies the laws of nature. It is God injecting into Nature and altering it for His purposes. That being said, Miracles are for the sake of the believer. Why do I say that?

Take a look at biblical history. When God did Miracles in front of Israel to deliver them from Egypt, what did they do? They worshiped a golden calf. When God fed them Manna and Quail, what did they do? They grumbled and ended up wandering for 40 years in the wilderness.

Mark 6:52
and
John 6: 26
In the end Jesus raised such ire that He was crucified, even though He did many miracles. They were believed by those waiting for Him, but those already set against Him, the miracles did not do any convincing.

That being said: Do Miracles happen today?--I would say rarely if any at all. The so called miracles of Benny Hinn and Kathryn Khulman are not Miracles. If you do your research you find that their so called miracles are actually just a sham. One woman who was 'healed' by Khulman of bone cancer in the spine actually had her spine collapse and she died four months later.

Anybody think the Israeli Six Day War was a miracle?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Knight and AMR's definitions work for me. And I do not believe God is performing miracles today on any kind of regular basis. And I have never seen one. And I used to go to an Assemblies of God church.:eek:

What about the miracle of giving somebody faith in order to get saved?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I have seen what I consider is a miracle

it was on the front wall of our church
and
I did show it to our pastor who was not impressed
but
I can't be sure of what he saw

what I saw were four faces
but
only one at a time

the shroud face of Jesus
and
God the father

Jesus at Gethsemane
and
Mary

God the Father looks like a lion
and
the reason I believe it is Him
is
because His picture is superimposed on the shroud face of Jesus

the face of Mary was superimposed on Jesus of Gethsemane
but
you could only see one of the four at any one time

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
I have seen what I consider is a miracle

it was on the front wall of our church
and
I did show it to our pastor who was not impressed
but
I can't be sure of what he saw

what I saw were four faces
but
only one at a time

the shroud face of Jesus
and
God the father

Jesus at Gethsemane
and
Mary

God the Father looks like a lion
and
the reason I believe it is Him
is
because His picture is superimposed on the shroud face of Jesus

Why do Catholics see things like this? I've heard stories about people seeing things like this, of Jesus, Mary, God, you know, people or things like that, on trees, or here or there, but why, how, how often, and are these miracles too, or are they not of or from God at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.