toldailytopic: The theory of evolution. Do you believe in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 14th, 2011 10:17 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm more of a strong proponent of the theory of revolution...though as with this everyone has their own spin on it.

:plain:

Selaphiel

I accept (believe is a bad word for it) the theory of evolution based on the mountains of evidence that supports it. It is in fact my favorite scientific theory, I enjoy learning about evolution and biology in general as a hobby.

bybee

I accept (believe is a bad word for it) the theory of evolution based on the mountains of evidence that supports it. It is in fact my favorite scientific theory, I enjoy learning about evolution and biology in general as a hobby.

Good distinction Sela! I too, accept the theory of evolution as plausible based on the evidence. I believe it is open to adjustment as new evidence is found.
It does not interfere with my faith in God or his word.
In the scheme of things we know very little. By faith I have what God has given me.

genuineoriginal

Good distinction Sela! I too, accept the theory of evolution as plausible based on the evidence. I believe it is open to adjustment as new evidence is found.
In the scheme of things we know very little. By faith I have what God has given me.

Evolution has never been confirmed, it is not plausable, it is busted.

no avatar

I believe that there are evolutionary things going on, but I don't believe in the theory of evolution as Darwin proposed it. The evidence just doesn't add up.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
It makes a heck of a lot more sense than the preposterous idea that
everything was created in six days, God made eve out of Adam's rib,
there was a talking serpent, and that because Adam and Eve ate some piece of fruit, all subsequent humans are guilty,
that Noah and his ark with two of every animal species existed,and that there was a massive flood,etc.
And that God somehow chose a young girl in ancient Palestine out of the blue in order to impregnate her with his "son" and to have him brutally executed to expiate for the sins of all mankind(at least those gullible enough to believe all this nonsense),and that if you don't accept Christ as your personal savior you're doomed to eternal hellfire even if you've been a good person and done a lot of good things,and that if a horrible individual repents and accepts Jesus at the last minute,he or she will enjoy heaven for eternity.
This whole rigamarole has never made any sense to me and many other non-christians. No offense meant to Christians.

taikoo

I made that distinction too when i said "accept the ToE as real as rain".

For a theist it is "belief" for an atheist it is "understand / accept" I guess.....

taikoo

Why would they? :idunno:

Really, you dunno?

Do you believe or accept any theory that science has to offer?

Ok..

Id say the reason to accept it as real would be the massive amount of data, cross correlated with all the other physical science.

The existent data all supports the theory. No data exists that would falsify it. if somehow it were to be falsified, it would be the virtual destruction or complete destruction of all theory in all of the physical sciences. That is how tightly they are linked.

That is all we have for any theory or "law' in science.

We accept "Boyles law" or the like, and use them in practical applications all the time and they work great.

In the absence of an ability to run an infinite number of experiments under an infinite variety of conditions, we cannot say that Bolye's law is proven.

Is that a reason not to "believe" or accept any law of theory in science?

Now you answered my question, with a question of your own. Not really fair... can you answer the original question please? Why wouldnt you accept the ToE as real? (or any other theory)

taikoo

I believe that there are evolutionary things going on, but I don't believe in the theory of evolution as Darwin proposed it. The evidence just doesn't add up.

Lets not bring Darwin in here, lets look at the theory as it exists now.

If you have something specific that does not "add up" that may be jsut your opinion..

if you have some idea to falsify it, lets hear it.

miriam

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 14th, 2011 10:17 AM

I accept the theory of evolution, just as I accept the atomic theory and the germ theory.

pqmomba8

Personally, I believe that the entire universe was sneezed out of a right nostril of a big, big being initially existing by himself in an infinite void.

Seriously, think about it.....makes eminent sense.

no avatar

Lets not bring Darwin in here, lets look at the theory as it exists now.

If you have something specific that does not "add up" that may be jsut your opinion..

if you have some idea to falsify it, lets hear it.

Life can't just pop in out of nowhere. Science has proven it can't. No life, no evolution.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Personally, I believe that the entire universe was sneezed out of a right nostril of a big, big being initially existing by himself in an infinite void.

Seriously, think about it.....makes eminent sense.
Sounds just as logical as complex living organism being "sneezed" out of the primordial goo of the ancient earth. :idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.