toldailytopic: Affirmative action. Should government force companies to hire people o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 16th, 2010 12:53 PM

toldailytopic: Affirmative action. Should government force companies to hire people of certain races, colors, religions, genders, or sexual orientations?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

NO

NO

toldailytopic: Affirmative action. Should government force companies to hire people of certain races, colors, religions, genders, or sexual orientations?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
*Hurriedly pops up some Jiffy Pop while awaiting Gamera*
:) This ought to be good.

The Berean

Well if any company only wants to hire white people that company will be out of business in a very short time! :rotfl:

PlastikBuddha

:think:
While I agree that something must be done to keep employers honest in regards to things like sexism and racism, I think affirmative action is a pretty ham-handed way to go about it. I don't know of a better solution off of the top of my head, but I'm fairly sure there are better ideas out there.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
*Hurriedly pops up some Jiffy Pop while awaiting Gamera*
:) This ought to be good.

popcorn.gif

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no such thing as "sexual orientation" but that can be a different topic of the day. If you were to force a company to hire based on racial prefrences, what would be the standard? Since America is mostly white, does that mean you are required to hire mostly white people?

Why not hire the best for your company? If you don't like how the company does business, go elsewhere.

Newman

Affirmative action's goals are to quell racism, prejudice, and discrimination.
Affirmative action's tools are racism, prejudice, and discrimination.
Affirmative action fails.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned

Yes, because there are some people who would not be fair. Yes, it's still that way, behind closed doors mostly now, but racism and sexist discrimination is still alive in America.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, because there are some people who would not be fair. Yes, it's still that way, behind closed doors mostly now, but racism and sexist discrimination is still alive in America.

However, that works both ways. There are also people who have a crummy work history and work ethic, BUT because of their race, sexual orientation or gender might claim they did not get the job.

Also, in a privately owned business, I do not believe the business owners should have to explain why they do or do not hire someone.

As for myself, I wouldn't personally want to be employed by a business that dismissed me because of gender or age. IMO, they are below my standards.

Tyrathca

Affirmative action is not however the only way to attempt to address that, nor do I think it is the best way.

It leads to contrived situations and particularly falls foul of demographics. For example if a business is located in an area where the size of a minority is bellow average or is less educated than average then then such laws would force employers into hiring people who are not only undeserving due to ability but also who will be disproportionately represented. Furthermore what is to happen of minorities which represent only a very small percentage of the population (such as muslims in the USA) meaning a single job would massively over represent them in most small businesses? What if no people from these small minorities apply (since distribution of minorities is often clustered)? What if none who apply are qualified? What if their quota has been filled but another quota has not? Then they would be discriminated against by law.

Finally it encourages implicit racism as it implies that minorities can not get jobs on their own merits and thus all employees, regardless of why they got the job, would be tarnished by the implication that they are just quota fillers. I know of a particular example where affirmative action was taken for women in the fire brigade in my state, this positively enraged women firefighters as it demeaned their rightfully achieved place (and they said in a public row).

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame

If one is conservative, no, because it will exacerbate divisions among people in the workplace.

If one is liberal, yes, because it will exacerbate divisions among people in the workplace.

Tyrathca

If one is conservative, no, because it will exacerbate divisions among people in the workplace.

If one is liberal, yes, because it will exacerbate divisions among people in the workplace.
Please enlighten the rest of us how either statement has anything to do with whether someone is liberal or conservative. And then account for why many liberals (perhaps even most) do not approve of affirmative action.

Status
Not open for further replies.