toldailytopic: Are corporate CEO's paid to much? If so, what's your solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 1st, 2010 09:26 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Cracked

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 1st, 2010 09:26 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

For them all to become Christians and seek the kingdom first as a servant. Problem solved.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Rushing out, but I don't think Knight will mind a link to something that should be of real help in understanding the question here. It's a paper on historical trends in compensation from 1936 to 2003, to give some idea of the transformation. The charts at the end are especially noteworthy and the trends discussed have accelerated into this decade.

See: here.

One note to whet appetites: by 2003 the compensation level was 5.5 times higher, as a percentage. Nice work if you can get it.

The Berean

I would give a CEO a certain base salary and any additional bonuses would be tied to company performance. The base salary would be dependent on the annual revenues of the specific company.

GuySmiley

Hmmm . . . I'm a corporate CEO, so of course not. But I dont think this question is really about people like me. :) So, about the millions of dollars a year guys getting million dollar bonuses when employees are suffering, yes they are overpaid. No I dont really have a solution.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Define overpaid.

I think TB has a pretty good pay scale, by making salaries proportional to the revenues of the company.

I definitely get angry about the stories in the news. CEOs making tons of money and bonuses. The company goes under, yet the CEO gets a "golden parachute" and can just go retire on an island somewhere. When you can make so much in so little time, who cares about the long term health of the company?

I'm not sure how I'd solve the "problem" though. Unfortunately, greed is a big motivator so it usually takes a lot of money to attract talent to these types of positions. I don't like the idea of government getting involved too much. Perhaps the shareholders need a bigger role in things. They have a stake in it. And I'm not sure how the bonuses work right now, but there should be away to tie those incentives to the longer term growth of the company instead of just the next quarter end or year end. CEO signs a contract with a base salary and then get a bonus at the end based on the company's performance.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It depends of several factors, such as the person's ability to increase profits.

Then there are many lodged in large companies, usually vice presidents making far more than they are worth, such are the deadwood in private enterprise, as we might call them stuffing in civil service.

Conclusion: some are worth more than their salary and many are just old company persons warming a seat all day.

zoo22

toldailytopic: Are corporate CEO's paid to much?

Yes.

If so, what's your solution?

Vilify greed. People don't seem to consider greed as an abomination.

For example, I sure see a lot of folks at TOL shouting out about homosexuals. It seems a top priority. No? But I don't see much outcry regarding greed. Well, unless perhaps it involves politicians. And that's about politicians... Not about greed.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

For example, I sure see a lot of folks at TOL shouting out about homosexuals. It seems a top priority. No? But I don't see much outcry regarding greed. Well, unless perhaps it involves politicians. And that's about politicians... Not about greed.

Greed, like pride can be a taskmaster; greed leading to vice is condemned at hand, yet pure greed is more malignant and deep.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Greed bad? No. It's what powers the Godly system of capitalism. :plain:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Greed bad? No. It's what powers the Godly system of capitalism. :plain:

More than any other social and cultural event, Christianity led to Feudalism. A big improvement other the Paganism of the ancient cultural. I would have to agree, though, that Capitalism is the eventuality of Feudalism and under it came new ideas of liberty and human rights.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It depends of several factors, such as the person's ability to increase profits.

Then there are many lodged in large companies, usually vice presidents making far more than they are worth, such are the deadwood in private enterprise, as we might call them stuffing in civil service.

Conclusion: some are worth more than their salary and many are just old company persons warming a seat all day.

I tend to appreciate these types more.....at least they usually stay out of my way and don't interfere with me making money for them and the shareholders with their foolishness and arrogance. :plain:

The Berean

I tend to appreciate these types more.....at least they usually stay out of my way and don't interfere with me making money for them and the shareholders with their foolishness and arrogance. :plain:

I thought the olive oil business runs pretty smoothly.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Well, that is one point of view. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.