toldailytopic: The last year of your life. You have 365 days to live, what types of t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 10th, 2009 08:14 AM

toldailytopic: The last year of your life. You have 365 days to live, what types of things will you do in your final year on earth?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

DocJohnson

Eat all the Twinkies I could ever want to eat!

Good one! For me it would be McDonald's and KFC.

I might also travel around to see all the historical sites I've been wanting to visit... but of course there will have to be a McDonald's or a KFC close by. :D

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Good one! For me it would be McDonald's and KFC.

I might also travel around to see all the historical sites I've been wanting to visit... but of course there will have to be a McDonald's or a KFC close by. :D

If you wanted to see the Pyramids of Egypt you are in luck. When you are standing on the Giza Plateau...staring at the ancient monuments known throughout the world...if you simply turn around...you will see...get this...Colonel Sander's and a KFC.

And that is the truth.

It felt kind of weird standing there looking at the Sphinx knowing right behind me I could order a 6-piece fried chicken combo with mashed potatoes and gravy and a biscuit.

However...seeing them is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It has been a long time, but if I remember correctly, the McDonald's at the Grand Canyon is very expensive.

Granite

Hall of Fame
First things first I'd travel...

To the Rockies.

To Ireland. Visit the ancestral homestead.

To Phoenix--the wife's cousin leaves out that way.

England. Always wanted to visit the cousins on the other side of the pond.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
thinking about something like this is a waste of time

we should be ready to die tomorrow

but

live today as if we have many years to live

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 10th, 2009 08:14 AM

toldailytopic: The last year of your life. You have 365 days to live, what types of things will you do in your final year on earth?

I'd have to hang out with David Letterman and a whole lot of canned corn. :chew: There's a man who can appreciate a can of corn...or laughter...or forgetting. (extra points for the literary reference). :poly:

That's a good week. I'll get back to you on the rest. :think:

...It felt kind of weird standing there looking at the Sphinx knowing right behind me I could order a 6-piece fried chicken combo with mashed potatoes and gravy and a biscuit.

However...seeing them is pretty amazing.
I know just what you mean. I could stare at that combo all day long...or until I got hungry. :plain:

Punisher1984

The last year of your life. You have 365 days to live, what types of things will you do in your final year on earth?

1. Buy every gun I ever wanted.

2. Get plenty of range time for about 2-3 months.

3. Declare war on the social extablishment and go out in the same manner Yukio Mishima did.

4. Meet up with Mishima in Valhallah and fight and party til Ragnarok come!

DocJohnson

1. Buy every gun I ever wanted.

2. Get plenty of range time for about 2-3 months.

3. Declare war on the social extablishment and go out in the same manner Yukio Mishima did.

4. Meet up with Mishima in Valhallah and fight and party til Ragnarok come!

What? You couldn't think of anything exciting to do with your final year on the planet? :D

chair

I had a friend who went through this. He died a week ago.

After that, this thread looks pretty dumb to me.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Probably travel a lot most of the year and then end it spending time with family/friends.

zoo22

I'm not sure, but one thing I'd do is try to identify/cut things out of my life that I don't care as much about and focus on a few things that I know do matter to me. I'd try to simplify for the year.

Family, friends, try to create some lasting art, travel, work to keep a daily journal, choose one particular cause I believe in and try to make an impact towards it.

Of course, all of these things can be done every day... But a difference for me might be to try to keep other things from creeping in and distracting. I'd try not to spread myself too thin with too many things, as seems to happen in life. Get rid of extra baggage, and try to carry a smaller, simpler pack filled only with the things that matter most.

Edit: I'd also work to create/find some things for some of the people in my life that I could leave behind specifically for them. Reminders of why our relationship was important, why or how they mattered to me, times we had together, so on. Photographs, a package of letters, a ticket stub, whatever might be applicable as a remembrance or celebration of certain relationships.

And I'd arrange a big party/get-together.

Last edited:

zoo22

I had a friend who went through this. He died a week ago.

After that, this thread looks pretty dumb to me.

Sorry for your loss, Chair.

I don't think it's dumb to think about these things, though. To lose sight of reality through fantasy, sure, but to stop to consider what matters to you and relate it back to your life, I don't think is dumb.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

After down sizing to travel, I (we) would spend three months with our daughter . . .

Make an appointment to have lunch with Pastor Charles Swindoll . . .

Make the trip to Indianapolis Motor Speedway to see the museum one more time . . .

Attend a Sunday morning service at Moody Memorial Church in Chicago . . .

Then go to all the places that I have lived or visited when I was kid . . .

Hot Springs, South Dakota
Spokane, Washington
Arlington, Washington
Smokey Point, Washington
Marysville, Washington
Everett, Washington
South Seattle, Washington
Portland, Oregon
Down the Pacific Coast Highway to
Porterville, California
Delano, California
I-40E to Albuquerque, New Mexico
I-25N to finish up in Denver, Colorado. I consider Denver home since I (we) lived there from 1952-2003.

Have lunch at the Tatter Cover in Denver.

Visit my TOL friends in Denver.

I would have to convince Mrs Psalmist that was the thing to do.

And If I couldn't do the above, I would be content to remain where I am, with Mrs Psalmist and finishing well at the retirement/healthcare center.

nicholsmom

I'm not sure, but one thing I'd do is try to identify/cut things out of my life that I don't care as much about and focus on a few things that I know do matter to me. I'd try to simplify for the year.

Family, friends, try to create some lasting art, travel, work to keep a daily journal, choose one particular cause I believe in and try to make an impact towards it.

Of course, all of these things can be done every day... But a difference for me might be to try to keep other things from creeping in and distracting. I'd try not to spread myself too thin with too many things, as seems to happen in life. Get rid of extra baggage, and try to carry a smaller, simpler pack filled only with the things that matter most.

Edit: I'd also work to create/find some things for some of the people in my life that I could leave behind specifically for them. Reminders of why our relationship was important, why or how they mattered to me, times we had together, so on. Photographs, a package of letters, a ticket stub, whatever might be applicable as a remembrance or celebration of certain relationships.

And I'd arrange a big party/get-together.

I didn't really know it until I read this, but this is just what I'd do :thumb:

Thanks for the plan :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.