toldailytopic: The significance and role of the father within the family unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
toldailytopic: The significance and role of the father within the family unit. #dailytopic

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

novice

Who is the stooge now?
The role of the father in the family unit was created by God to symbolize man's own relationship with God Himself.

Being a father within the family unit helps a man understand how God loves His children, and what an awesome responsibility it is to be the head of the household.

DEVO

Documenting mans devolution
God gave fathers the job of correcting their children just as He (our Father) corrects us. Proverbs 3:12 For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

antiknight

That's not always true. It can be and often is. My father is hugely significant in my family for several reasons beyond our biological connection.
That significance is merely anecdotal, i.e., it's your own personal "significance" which is fine and I'm sure that is comforting to you. Yet as far as overall significance is concerned your father was merely the mechanism that created his offspring (you).

allsmiles

That significance is merely anecdotal, i.e., it's your own personal "significance" which is fine and I'm sure that is comforting to you. Yet as far as overall significance is concerned your father was merely the mechanism that created his offspring (you).

Your attempt to trivialize my father's sacrifices and the hardship he necessarily went through to raise seven children, is funny to me. What else do you believe you know about my family?

Flipper

What do you believe?

That fathers have a very important formative influence on their children. They can help or hinder a child's emotional and mental maturity, and they can mitigate negative influences in a child's life. They're critical guides that can make big difference in what sort of an adult a child will become.

Your POV seems a way too reductionist. Fathers and mothers may not seem to matter a whole lot as individuals when you view humanity en mass or if you view us from a universal and geological perspectives but those sorts of scales don't have much relevance to us in our day-to-day lives either.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
The role of the father in the family unit was created by God to symbolize man's own relationship with God Himself.

Being a father within the family unit helps a man understand how God loves His children, and what an awesome responsibility it is to be the head of the household.
:thumb:

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
A father has incredible power in a child's life. He can give his child a sense of safety and stability, but he can also make his child feel worthless and afraid. It seems like those people with the worst fathers have the hardest time developing their relationship with God. It is an awesome responsibility to be a father!

bybee

The father

The father

toldailytopic: The significance and role of the father within the family unit. #dailytopic

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
I don't think we realize how important the father is in the family. In childhood I thought of my father as our protector. He kept us safe from harm. The father sets the standards for behavior within the family. Children need their father's approval as much as they need his love. peace, bybee

koban

If you want to see how important fathers are to the family unit, look at cultures where the father is absent.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For me it's always been far too easy to suspect the father's role should be as was portrayed to me by my own father. The father's role is an ideal that not many can live up to without first having the proper model to learn from.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think we realize how important the father is in the family. In childhood I thought of my father as our protector. He kept us safe from harm. The father sets the standards for behavior within the family. Children need their father's approval as much as they need his love. peace, bybee

My father died at a young age, he was 44, I was 13, then from that point on my example of guardian, guide and stay was gone. So at that time seeing the purpose and role of a father was quite diminished.

For me it's always been far too easy to suspect the father's role should be as was portrayed to me by my own father. The father's role is an ideal that not many can live up to without first having the proper model to learn from.

To live to my father's role, of what I can remember, would have been difficult. He was a just and a fair man; one thing that I grasped was — Keep your word.

:think:

The significance and role of the father within the family unit.

To be the head of the family, with wisdom and understanding, to be a protector and provider, to love all of his family and act accordingly in both private and public. I made it a point that our children would see that I do love their mother with unaltered affection and inalienable love.

I have seen many examples before I became a father, but grasp the the significance and role of the father within the family, I had to become one. I cannot say that I have done all that well at being a father, but I can say this, I have three children that I love dearly, along with their spouses, and our grandchildren and great grandchildren.

That is all I can add to the subject.

nicholsmom

The significance and role of the father within the family unit.

To be the head of the family, with wisdom and understanding, to be a protector and provider, to love all of his family and act accordingly in both private and public. I made it a point that our children would see that I do love their mother with unaltered affection and inalienable love.

:thumb: Nicely said, too.

My view of the father's role has been influenced not only by the example of my father, but also by his father, and the father of my own children. All of these I subject to the Word of God and find that, while none of us is perfect, it is possible to meet the role defined there since all of these three did and do. They protect and provide for the family; they teach and train in righteousness and work ethic; they model moral steadfastness and correct error; they play - they instigate play, plan playtime, ensure playfulness - to unite, strengthen and encourage; they love their children and the mother of those children unconditionally, fully understanding what is and is not love.

These, among other things, are the role of the father, regardless of meeting the standard, or failure to do so. That many fathers fail at this role in no way diminishes the role itself. That many do an outstanding job of it shows that it is not an impossible role to fill - and that should encourage men to press on toward the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.