Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all our righteousnesses filthy rags or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=2589]Clete[/MENTION], it's not about how we perceive what is good or evil or what we can do, it's much deeper. It's Christ form the foundation of creation. There is none righteous but One, that's what it is about concerning mankind.
    Even if was possible for a man other than Christ to not sin, that sinless man would still fall short because it is about doing the will of the Father. The only way to obey His will is to deny self in all things and exalt the Son. The only reward is to exalt God's chosen One or be tried by fire to prove what is good and acceptable to the Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by ffreeloader View Post
      Your entire post, the way it was worded, pointed to works as the basis for an Isrealite/Jew to be seen as righteous. To offer a sacrifice was an act of faith, not of working to attain salvation. The Isrealites, as they lived before Jesus needed something to help them visualize their Savior and what He would do to redeem them as it is much harder to visualize a future event than it is to look back at that same event. We have a distinct advantage over them. Thus, God to equalize things between them and us gave them a worship that allowed them to visualize the work of their Savior.

Thus their righteousness was attained to by faith just as ours is. We are all justified by faith in Christ. That's the meaning of Paul's references to Abraham, that he had his righteousness imputed to him, just as we do, and that he would be the father of those who live by faith just as he did.
      What post?

You quoted me speaking to gt. I hadn't even spoken about the op.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally Posted by Clete

It's a denial of the fall in Eden.
        Only if you insist conlfating two entirely seperate issues.

This is a hidious way of doing hermaneutics but regarless of that, it speaks to only one of two seperate issues that you seem unable to seperate.

Just because Adam and Eve sinned, doesn't mean that they never did anything good for the whole rest of their lives. It just doesn't mean that at all.

Was it a sin to conceive their children? Was it a sin for Adam to work to produce a living for his family? Was it a sin to for them to raise their children, which they must have done with some wisdom because Jesus Himself refers to their first born as "righteous Abel". A point I've made before and which you seem blind too.

They didn't deserve because of Adam and Eve's sin but because of their own. Once again, the fact that they sinned doesn't mean that everything they ever did was sin nor that they never did anything righteous. Indeed, many throughout the bible are called righteous.

Oh no it wasn't!

That God Himself directly told them not to eat of. The fruit isn't the point, the rebellion is the issue. The forbidden fruit was the door way out of paradise. It was the alternative to God. They chose to walk through that door and reject God. No small thing at all.

Not that it matters, the issue here is not a matter of degree.

This is your doctrine speaking, not God's word. First of all, selfishness is one aspect of the sin nature but it isn't it's essense. I doubt that you could even articulate what that would mean. In fact, depending on just what you mean by "selfish" it may not be accurate at all.

Regardless, your doctrine here oversteps itself anyway. Not every act is selfish! Where do you read that at in the bible? You don't!

Well, just think that through for half a second!

Your doctrine has led you to this conclusion while the bible is full to overflowing with people throughout that it calls righteous and tells dozens, perhaps hundreds of stories about when certain people did righteous acts that God rewarded them for in a whole variety of ways.

So, which is right, God's word or your doctrine?

Why would you even bother to hold such a doctrine for more than five minutes? I mean you can get through ten pages of the bible without reading about someone doing something good or God rewarding righteous people or saving them from disaster or whatever. Such things are throughout the whole bible!

Take the whole book of Jonah for example, Jonah was a knuckle head but he did was God told him to do eventually and as a result Ninevah repented.

Was Ninenah's repentence a good thing or was it a selfish sin?

Where there is no law, sin in not imputed.

I didn't make that up, ffreeloader.

And following God's law is legalism - by definition.

You can try to follow the law if you want but you will fail and then the law will do that which it was intended to do, it will kill you. The law's ministry is a ministry of death. There is one other thing, and only one other thing in the bible that had a ministry of death, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. The law is the knowledge of good and evil. It is, in effect, the fruit of that Tree. When Jesus nailed the law to the tree He meant for it stay there. Why would you wish to take it down and become a slave to it again? For those who where crucified in Him are dead to the law and thus the law has nothing to say to them. Christ's death and resurrection has left those who are in Him with the same command that Adam and Eve had, the same choice. We can choose to be righteous through Love (capital L) or through the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. You cannot do both! The law is carnal. It is of the flesh and at war with the things of the Spirit. The law is not of faith but of flesh. We are to crucify our flesh, not feed it with the forbidden fruit.

You have no idea what you're talking about and I can see that you aren't interested in trying to understand it.

Sounds great!

Except that pretty much the entire bible contradicts you.

Don't bother responding again unless you intend to directly respond to the passages of scripture that I have repeatedly cited that directly contradict your doctrine and which demonstate that you are now willfully conflating two entirely seperates issues.

Clete
        Why do you keep harping for an OT perspective on two separate issues? Is it your theological training that excuses when in reality there is only One issue we need to address, that God before the foundation of the world choose all who believe in Christ for reward.
        Last edited by Cntrysner; October 23rd, 2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cntrysner View Post
          Paul said, I die daily and that is his reward. That is what you do to do any good and that is the way we will be judged. If you want a crown then you have to die for it in your spirit as Christ did at the cross. I rejoice in the gift but the more I understand about Christ the more I die and the more I die the more I am exalted in Christ.
          I don't understand what else to say to express the fact that you are conflating two completely seperate issues.

And this is an huge overstatement anyway! You don't die in the sense that you no longer exist! When you say "the more I die", what you do mean? Die to what?

That's a real question! I know the biblical answer but I want to know what your answer is. I can't see how you could even have an answer. What do those words mean when you say them?

I was a lost sinner but now I am found but still a sinner and if a sinner, there is no good I can do to be acceptable, it is all Christ. I don't know why you can see it that way.
          I quoted you the scripture!

Where there is no law, sin is not imputed.

Has anyone, other than me, ever said those words to you before? They aren't my words, their Paul's but I'm curious to know what you think they mean.

God saved me on his promise, I knew I was going to hell so to speak but it wasn't enough for me to die to self because I trusted in my good work, my actions, and I produced majorly according to want I had as a child . Through weeks of the reality of me going to hell he gave me the promise that broke me of my selfish attitude and it was this....I will save your wife and kids if you will surrender.
          Surrender to what?

Be specific.

What, in your view, does this "surrender" look like in your daily life.

Again, I know the biblical answer to these questions but I suspect that you do not. That is to say, that I don't think that you've ever thought through just what you mean when you repeat these very common Christian clichés.

The truth cut deep within me. I was the appointed head of my family and knew it and all I could do was not good enough and I surrendered all my ability to Him. I'm talking about I couldn't do anything because I kept breaking down all the time just thinking about what was His and it was what I wanted most of all. I contend against myself still today and die daily because I have grandkids and a great grandchild on the way and if there is any reward for me it will be as before, continue to die for reward and exalt the righteous One, what I want is in His hands, not mine. I'm trying to be true to His promise with the reality that I can do nothing.
          Do you not see the contradiction in that sentence which I've highlighted?

Is it wrong to "try to be true to His promise"?

Isn't the fact that you're trying, proof that you can at least do that - try?

I'll tell you this. You will fail.

You will fail - I guarantee it! God will see to it that you fail!

You know why? Because you're trying. You're trying to accomplish something that only God can do and that He has already done!

As I read your post, I can feel the guilt that is overwhelming your every thought. This tells me that you are living the Christian life in your flesh. Your entire identity is all wrapped up in your flesh. When you look at you, you don't see Christ, as God does, you see sin, dispare, distruction and death and, every day, you scare yourself back into the outstretched arms of Jesus begging Him to forgive you again. WHICH HE DOES NOT DO!!!!

Now, hopefully, those last five words were rather jaring. They were intended to be.

Jesus does not forgive sins twice or three times or a dozen times or a million times. He forgives sins once. He declares you righteous once. He baptizes you into the Body of Christ once. He doesn't do it once a day or once a week or once a month, He does it once - period!

You can ask him to forgive you over and over and over again but all He's going to do is roll His eyes in loving frustration and tell you that there is no longer anything to forgive! You are NOT UNDER THE LAW and where there is no law, sin is not imputed. If sin is not imputed to you then what is there to forgive? NOTHING! Not because you don't do things you shouldn't but because Christ has already died for those sins and you have been baptized by the same Spirit that rose Jesus from the dead into His Body and are now hidden in Him. And if you died in Him then you have also been raise with Him! Your identity is now Christ! It is no longer you who lives but Christ lives His life through you by faith. The question that remains is not whether you're a sinner, you are not because He is not. The question then is only whether you believe it!

Do you?

There is only One righteous, only One purveyor of truth, only One that can do good and that is the Creator of all.
          That very same one is He in whom you are now identified and in whom you now rest. Rest - not try - not struggle - REST.

I find when I am weak, I am strong in the faith of Christ. If I am missing out on some other purveyance of truth I will by His will gladly do so. I am not weak, I am not missing out, I am very strong in the rewards of Christ.
          Awesome!

So, now that we've gone into some depth concerning our sin nature and the believer's idenity in Christ, let's look at an entirely different issue and ask the question, can people do anything that can rightly be considered a righteous act?

Is it possible for anyone to do anything right or is every single act that anyone ever performs, no matter what it is or why they did it, only ever evil?

Before answering please think about what Paul is instructing us to do in Galatians 6:4 and then read through Ezekiel 18 and then come and tell me what your answer is.

I am telling you now, you do not want to be rendered according to your good. The more you strive to do good, which is a good thing, the more you should see it is not worthy but for self in this world.
          I make no effort to strive to be that which I already am in Him. (Gal. 2:20; Phil. 3:12)

Resting in Him,
          Clete
          sigpic
          "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

[MENTION=2589]Clete[/MENTION], it's not about how we perceive what is good or evil or what we can do, it's much deeper. It's Christ form the foundation of creation. There is none righteous but One, that's what it is about concerning mankind.
            First of all, why is it impossible for you to not create two seperate posts for me to respond too?

As for the above assertion, no one has suggested otherwise. If you think I have it is because you are conflating two seperate issues.

Even if was possible for a man other than Christ to not sin, that sinless man would still fall short because it is about doing the will of the Father. The only way to obey His will is to deny self in all things and exalt the Son.
            No one has denied that all have fallen short of the glory of God. No one!

If you think I've done otherwise, it is because you are conflating two seperate issues.

The only reward is to exalt God's chosen One or be tried by fire to prove what is good and acceptable to the Lord.
            This is a lie! This is direct, blatant and seemingly intentional mistatement and outright contradiction to the explicit teaching of scripture!

Why do you keep harping for an OT perspective on two separate issues? Is it your theological training that excuses when in reality there is only One issue we need to address, that God before the foundation of the world choose all who believe in Christ for reward.
            Read the thread!

I've quoted passage after passage after passage where God not only talks about the existence of righteous people but names them specifically in more than one context.

Further, the notion that people are utterly incapable of doing anything good is blatantly false on its face. Jesus Himself even talked about unbelievers doing things that were right!

Now, either refute the passages of scripture or admit that you cannot! Your doctrine has no effect on me! You believe what you want, I will believe what the bible tells me.

Clete
            sigpic
            "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

Originally posted by Clete View Post
              I don't understand what else to say to express the fact that you are conflating two completely seperate issues.

And this is an huge overstatement anyway! You don't die in the sense that you no longer exist! When you say "the more I die", what you do mean? Die to what?

That's a real question! I know the biblical answer but I want to know what your answer is. I can't see how you could even have an answer. What do those words mean when you say them?

I quoted you the scripture!

Where there is no law, sin is not imputed.

Has anyone, other than me, ever said those words to you before? They aren't my words, their Paul's but I'm curious to know what you think they mean.

Surrender to what?

Be specific.

What, in your view, does this "surrender" look like in your daily life.

Again, I know the biblical answer to these questions but I suspect that you do not. That is to say, that I don't think that you've ever thought through just what you mean when you repeat these very common Christian clichés.

Do you not see the contradiction in that sentence which I've highlighted?

Is it wrong to "try to be true to His promise"?

Isn't the fact that you're trying, proof that you can at least do that - try?

I'll tell you this. You will fail.

You will fail - I guarantee it! God will see to it that you fail!

You know why? Because you're trying. You're trying to accomplish something that only God can do and that He has already done!

As I read your post, I can feel the guilt that is overwhelming your every thought. This tells me that you are living the Christian life in your flesh. Your entire identity is all wrapped up in your flesh. When you look at you, you don't see Christ, as God does, you see sin, dispare, distruction and death and, every day, you scare yourself back into the outstretched arms of Jesus begging Him to forgive you again. WHICH HE DOES NOT DO!!!!

Now, hopefully, those last five words were rather jaring. They were intended to be.

Jesus does not forgive sins twice or three times or a dozen times or a million times. He forgives sins once. He declares you righteous once. He baptizes you into the Body of Christ once. He doesn't do it once a day or once a week or once a month, He does it once - period!

You can ask him to forgive you over and over and over again but all He's going to do is roll His eyes in loving frustration and tell you that there is no longer anything to forgive! You are NOT UNDER THE LAW and where there is no law, sin is not imputed. If sin is not imputed to you then what is there to forgive? NOTHING! Not because you don't do things you shouldn't but because Christ has already died for those sins and you have been baptized by the same Spirit that rose Jesus from the dead into His Body and are now hidden in Him. And if you died in Him then you have also been raise with Him! Your identity is now Christ! It is no longer you who lives but Christ lives His life through you by faith. The question that remains is not whether you're a sinner, you are not because He is not. The question then is only whether you believe it!

Do you?

That very same one is He in whom you are now identified and in whom you now rest. Rest - not try - not struggle - REST.

Awesome!

So, now that we've gone into some depth concerning our sin nature and the believer's idenity in Christ, let's look at an entirely different issue and ask the question, can people do anything that can rightly be considered a righteous act?

Is it possible for anyone to do anything right or is every single act that anyone ever performs, no matter what it is or why they did it, only ever evil?

Before answering please think about what Paul is instructing us to do in Galatians 6:4 and then read through Ezekiel 18 and then come and tell me what your answer is.

I make no effort to strive to be that which I already am in Him. (Gal. 2:20; Phil. 3:12)

Resting in Him,
              Clete

You seem to have anger issues which I am trying to get to the reason why. PM me if you please.
              What are you holding back for self, is it rewards? I was in your place, I feel your feelings because of your words.

Those without the law are a law into themselves.

You said God will see that I fail, because I exalt His Son above myself? How does that make any sense at all?

I die daily, no, I die moment by moment when I compare myself to Christ. How do I die you ask, I die to myself. I do feel guilt as appointed head of my family but I am exalted in Christ to the right hand of the Father because I accept my guilt. Why is that so hard for you to understand? It is a very peaceful situation for me when it is all Christ. I can't express the gratitude I feel for His sacrifice enough as a benefactor of a son in Christ. I don't think much on my rewards, I'm sealed, concerning salvation I have in Him. He offers much more to me than myself eternally, so I will keep myself in proper respect because He owns all that I want and he knows what I need even more than I do.

I don't repent or ask for forgiveness. I stand convicted in my salvation moment by moment. I have an intercessor for my sin who is Christ. I am exalted, and sealed, I set at the right hand of God this very minute in Christ. I am an inheritor of all creation down to it's very molecules but want is it that I even know all things. The most for me is that the Father will wipe away all my tears and I die daily now because it's not all about me and never truly was, It's my family and more, it was what I could not see until He showed it to me.

Comment

You seem to have anger issues which I am trying to get to the reason why. PM me if you please.
                I'm not angry.

If I were angry, there's no way you would have needed to use the word "seem" in that sentence.

If straight talk is turned into anger in your mind, then that's your issue, not mine.

What are you holding back for self, is it rewards? I was in your place, I feel your feelings because of your words.
                Okay, that's it!

I've tried. I'm done.

This site wastes more of my time than anything else I do! What am I doing here? What sort of insanity is involved in trying to have a conversation with people who are stubbornly stupid?

I'm out!

Don't bother responding. I will not read it.

Interpret this as anger if you like!
                Good bye.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by popsthebuilder1 View Post
                  What post?

You quoted me speaking to gt. I hadn't even spoken about the op.

You're correct. I'm sorry. I read a post and mistakenly attributed it to you. Can't tell you why I made that mistake because I don't know why I did. My bad.
                  “Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.”
                  ― Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

“One and God make a majority.”
                  ― Frederick Douglass

Comment

You're correct. I'm sorry. I read a post and mistakenly attributed it to you. Can't tell you why I made that mistake because I don't know why I did. My bad.
                    No problem. I'm glad you caught it.

peace

Comment

Good things that people are capable of doing....
                      • Love God
                      • Love your neighbor
                      • Provide for your family
                      • Protect your family
                      • Raise your children to fear God
                      • Be generous to those in need
                      • Rebuke one who does evil
                      • Dispise muderers, adulterers, rapists, child molester and sodomites.
                      • Resist the devil
                      • Read God's word.
                      • Ask God for wisdom
                      • Repent of sin
                      • Beleive that God became a man, died for your sin and raised from the dead
                      • Tell others that God became a man, died for their sin and rose from the dead

That's a rather short list. There are thousands of good things that people, both believers and unbelievers alike, do every single day.

Clete
                      sigpic

Comment

If this was meant for me, here's a list of texts to look at that fit far far better with the context of the advice to the church of Laodicea. The ones you point out point to gold being heaven. I ask, huh? The context of the passage ties gold and white raiment together so any explanation of the two has to be spiritual for the raiment of Christ, as you pointed out, points to our justification and the robe of righteousness Christ offers us.

The texts are not in logical order, but in the order they appear in the Bible. You'll have to study the relationship between them and the advice to Laodicea for yourself. I think that with some contemplation you will see the connection.

Job 33:10
                        Isaiah 13:12
                        Lamentations 4:1
                        Ezekiel 16:8-17
                        Zechariah 13:7
                        Malachi 3:2
                        1Peter 1:7
                        It wasn't to you in particular, however context IS Isaiah.

The context: You dirty a rag, it needs to be washed.
                        My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
                        Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
                        Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
                        Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
                        No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
                        Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

The dirty rag needs to be thrown away.

Isaiah 64:6 All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

The blood offerings the Jews had to do were as dirty bloody rags because they were not really sorry for their sins.
                          Oh how I love the Word of God!

Do not just read the word do it.

Comment

The Jews had to do the righteous act of the purification works to atone for their sins.

The Gentiles were dead in their sins because they did not do the purification works which included blood of animals.

God gave the blood of animals to atone for people's sins:

Leviticus 17:11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life.

The Gentiles were dead in their sins because they did not get circumcised in the flesh and do the other purification works of the law:

Colossians 2:13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins.

Circumcision in the flesh was the sign that one could go to the temple to offer the blood of animals.

God did not like it that the Jews could do the purification works, which included blood sacrifices, but not really be sorry for their sins.

The Jews would do the purification works with animal sacrifices, but they didn't mean it.

Isaiah 1 explains why God did not like their sacrifices, and Psalm 51 explains what would make God like the sacrifices.

These scriptures also tell us what would cause God to like the sacrifices:

Psalm 20:3 May He remember all your gifts and look favorably on your burnt offerings. Selah

Psalm 66:13 I will enter Your house with burnt offerings; I will fulfill my vows to you--

Comment

Psalm 51
                              For the director of music. A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.
                              1Have mercy on me, O God,
                              according to your unfailing love;
                              according to your great compassion
                              blot out my transgressions.
                              2Wash away all my iniquity
                              and cleanse me from my sin.
                              3For I know my transgressions,
                              and my sin is always before me.
                              4Against you, you only, have I sinned
                              and done what is evil in your sight;
                              so you are right in your verdict
                              and justified when you judge.
                              5Surely I was sinful at birth,
                              sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
                              6Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
                              you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
                              7Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
                              wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
                              8Let me hear joy and gladness;
                              let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
                              9Hide your face from my sins
                              and blot out all my iniquity.
                              10Create in me a pure heart, O God,
                              and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
                              11Do not cast me from your presence
                              or take your Holy Spirit from me.
                              12Restore to me the joy of your salvation
                              and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
                              13Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
                              so that sinners will turn back to you.
                              14Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
                              you who are God my Savior,
                              and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
                              15Open my lips, Lord,
                              and my mouth will declare your praise.
                              16You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
                              you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
                              17My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
                              a broken and contrite heart
                              you, God, will not despise.
                              18May it please you to prosper Zion,
                              to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
                              19Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
                              in burnt offerings offered whole;
                              then bulls will be offered on your altar.

There was no sacrifice for adultery and murder, or David would have brought it.
                              David is an example of how we have to repent of our sins to be forgiven.
                              Notice that David says he gives offerings that God would delight in after he repents and is forgiven and washed clean. David's plea for forgiveness and being cleansed of his sins is prophetic of what we would all have through Jesus.

Comment

God made the old law because the people were so sinful.

The old law with the purification works was a teaching tool about what was coming, salvation through Jesus.

The old law with the purification works was a shadow of Jesus who was coming.

God hated the righteous acts of offerings for sin that the Jews did because they sinned and did not stop sinning.

God spoke of a New Covenant He would make one day with the Jews and all people.

The old law was NOT based on faith.

A person could sin, give a sin offering and still be called a child of God and be near God's Spirit.

God made the New Covenant that would be based on faith.

Galatians 3:12 The law is not based on faith;

Faith makes the difference because it is a heart condition of repenting of sin and having faith that the Spirit of God washes those sins away.

Comment

Working...
                                X