ECT Mary: Mother of God

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Philippians 2:6-7 NLT
The Bible is very clear that Mary gave birth to a human being.

Wrong, because Jesus was not a mere human being. Jesus was fully God and fully man.

What the hell is it with you people who cannot understand simple concepts.

The Council of Ephesus in AD 431, I say again, the Council of Ephesus in AD 431, decreed that Mary is the Theotokos because her son Jesus is both God and man: one divine person with two natures (divine and human).

The title of Mother of God (Greek: Μήτηρ (του) Θεοῦ) or God Bearer, is most often used in English, largely due to the lack of a satisfactory equivalent of the Greek τόκος. Because of that the title is often left untranslated, and she is called "Theotokos".

Mary "bore" God (Jesus) in her womb so she is the God Bearer, Mother of God.

This is the belief of almost all Christians, Catholic and Orthodox. Only a tiny fringe reject it.

God's Truth

Jesus IS God, therefore Mary is the Mother of God. You're not very bright are you.

Do you even bother to read or learn or do you just repeat child-like things over and over like a dumb parrot.

The Council of Ephesus in AD 431, I say again, the Council of Ephesus in AD 431, decreed that Mary is the Theotokos because her son Jesus is both God and man: one divine person with two natures (divine and human).

The title of Mother of God (Greek: Μήτηρ (του) Θεοῦ) or God Bearer, is most often used in English, largely due to the lack of a satisfactory equivalent of the Greek τόκος. Because of that the title is often left untranslated, and she is called "Theotokos".

This is the belief of almost all Christians, Catholic and Orthodox. Only a tiny fringe reject it.

Mary is the mother of the earthly part of God.

Romans 1:3 regarding his Son, who as to his earthly life was a descendant of David,

We don't say David is of immaculate conception since he is Jesus' grandfather.

We don't pray to David or even Abraham because they are the ancestors of Jesus.

What happens when people say to Jesus blessed is your mother?

Jesus says ALL WHO obey are his mother, sisters, and brothers.

Since Catholics keep exalting Mary and calling her the mother of God---it has led to false doctrines, such as Mary being of immaculate conception; and,

it leads to Mary being venerated/worshiped.

God's Truth

Wrong, because Jesus was not a mere human being. Jesus was fully God and fully man.

What the hell is it with you people who cannot understand simple concepts.

We don't go by councils after the apostles.

You nullify the words of God by your teachings from mere men who didn't have God testify to what they said.

...and like the Greeks, the Catholics adopted their idea of worshiping gods.

The humble Mary needed a Savior and said so herself.

Luke 1:47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus IS God, therefore Mary is the Mother of God. You're not very bright are you.

Do you even bother to read or learn or do you just repeat child-like things over and over like a dumb parrot.

Where does it say in Scripture that she is the mother of God? That is only a figment of the Catholic Churches imagination. Typical Catholic drivel

Right Divider

Body part
Where does it say in Scripture that she is the mother of God? That is only a figment of the Catholic Churches imagination. Typical Catholic drivel

They use FALSE logic to come to the conclusion that Mary is the "mother of God".

Jesus IS God, therefore Mary is the Mother of God.

Indeed Jesus is God... but Mary had NOTHING to do with that.... NOTHING.

Mary is Jesus' mother ONLY in regard to His HUMAN nature.

Hilltrot

Jesus was not a mere human being. Jesus was fully God and fully man.

I don’t disagree. When the Word which had always existed became human, he didn’t cease to be God even though he took on all the attributes of being a human being. But he was human and Mary gave birth to a human. Do you deny that Mary gave birth to a human named Jesus?

You seem desperate to make sure that everyone give Mary the title of “Mother of God”, but that title was never given to her by the apostles. The title was given to her after Augustine and others had fully infected the church with Gnosticism, Manichaeism, and Greek philosophy. Why are you so desperate that people use this title? Why not “Mother of Jesus” - the title actually given her in the Bible?

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
You seem desperate to make sure that everyone give Mary the title of “Mother of God”, but that title was never given to her by the apostles

A New Testament was never given to us by the apostles either. The 2 books of the NT were ratified in the 4th century by Pope Damasus I.

I am sure that will not stop you from using it though, right?

The title Theotokos (God -Bearer) was given to her by those to whom the Apostles passed on their AUTHORITY. Let me also add that ALL Christians have believed this since the Council of Ephesus in decreed it AD 431, not just Catholics, and the only ones who don't accept this are protestants, a small minority within the Body of Christ, and that unacceptance has only been for the last 500 years.

So, it would seem to me that YOU guys are the ones who are desperate to disavow that which is established Christian belief.

Protestant are totally blind to context and perspective. They believe that their neo-Christian 500 year old beliefs are authentic Christians beliefs, and that the 2,000 year old beliefs of almost all of Christianity are wrong. That is quite a bit of arrogance.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
A New Testament was never given to us by the apostles either.

You seem to be confused, or perhaps misled. Paul states explicitly that the oracles of God (aka, the scriptures) were committed to the Jews.

As far as I can tell, all of the authors of the Bible's books (including the New Testament books) were Jewish.

It has nothing to do with what some group of men from a few hundred years after the fact said about what books should and should not be in the Bible.

The 2 books of the NT were ratified in the 4th century by Pope Damasus I.

Only two? Or was that a typo?

The title Theotokos (God -Bearer) was given to her by those to whom the Apostles passed on their AUTHORITY.

Aside from this being a fallacious appeal to authority, The Apostles didn't pass on their authority.

The Twelve Apostles (no, Paul is not included in the twelve, Matthias is) will rule upon twelve thrones over the twelve tribes of Israel.

They never passed on their authority to anyone.

Paul's authority regarding scripture came directly from God. Paul was of Jewish descent.

Paul said the oracles of God were committed to the Jews, not some council of Christians several hundred years after his death...

All of that means that "theotokos" isn't Biblical, and because of that, can be safely disregarded.

Let me also add that ALL Christians have believed this

Appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy.

since the Council of Ephesus in decreed it AD 431,

Appeal to authority is also a logical fallacy.

not just Catholics, and the only ones who don't accept this are protestants, a small minority within the Body of Christ, and that unacceptance has only been for the last 500 years.

And?

If the majority believe something, that doesn't automatically make what they believe true.

In other words, appeal to popularity...

So, it would seem to me that YOU guys are the ones who are desperate to disavow that which is established Christian belief.

Appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy.

Protestant are totally blind to context and perspective.

Saying it doesn't make it so. (Also known as question begging, another logical fallacy.)

They believe that their neo-Christian 500 year old beliefs are authentic Christians beliefs,

Compared to Paul, the Twelve, and Jesus, the Catholic church is "neo-Christian."

Beam, eye, remove it hypocrite.

and that the 2,000 year old beliefs

Appeal to tradition again...

of almost all of Christianity

Appeal to popularity... again...

are wrong. That is quite a bit of arrogance.

So is using logical fallacies to defend one's position, as you have done in your entire post...

truechristian

BANNED
Banned
Mother of God is blasphemy and a lie and liars will be destroyed when Jesus returns.
Jeremiah 7:18 tells of GOD showing Jeremiah how Jerusalem in Judah had turned pagan with many idols - expressly condemned by Commandments 1&2 - and 7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
This paganism is why GOD allowed the Judahites to be captured by The Assyrians and shipped off to Babylon.
catholics who offer cakes to the sun and worship idols of Ishtar/venus/Queen of Heaven will die when Jesus returns.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
[h=1]Scott Hahn - Mary: Christ's Greatest Masterpiece[/h]

St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology presents: Join Scott Hahn in celebrating the joy of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception with this short video about God's greatest masterpiece, Mary. For more visit: http://www.salvationhistory.com

truechristian

BANNED
Banned

St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology presents: Join Scott Hahn in celebrating the joy of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception with this short video about God's greatest masterpiece, Mary. For more visit: http://www.salvationhistory.com

catholicism is Simon Magus's False Chrsitianity based on sorceries and miracles performed by Magus's familiar demons and the worship of idols of Ishtar/Venus/Queen of heaven and dead men and women's bones.

Hilltrot

A New Testament was never given to us by the apostles either. The 2 books of the NT were ratified in the 4th century by Pope Damasus I.

I am sure that will not stop you from using it though, right?

God didn't ratify "You should not steal." until the Exodus. So, it must have been alright to steal before then, right?

See the error in your logic?

The books and letters of the New Testament were written in the 1st century by those who were apostles or worked for or with the apostles. The "ratification" was just stating what everyone had already agreed upon.

Theotokos was not used by the apostles or those who knew the Apostles. The first possibly use of the word theotokos to refer to Mary mother of Jesus was in the second half of the 3rd Century. The "ratification" of the word in the 5th century caused a schism in the church.

See a difference?

The title Theotokos (God -Bearer) was given to her by those to whom the Apostles passed on their AUTHORITY. Let me also add that ALL Christians have believed this since the Council of Ephesus in decreed it AD 431, not just Catholics, and the only ones who don't accept this are protestants, a small minority within the Body of Christ, and that unacceptance has only been for the last 500 years.

You are talking to straw men. I am not Protestant and am not protesting anything. I don't believe in anything that the Protestants have added in the last 500 years.

and also

Matthew 7:14 NLT
[14] But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

Did I go to a Catholic website to disavow the term "Mother of God"? Did I start this thread? No the desperation is not on my side.

Protestant are totally blind to context and perspective. They believe that their neo-Christian 500 year old beliefs are authentic Christians beliefs, and that the 2,000 year old beliefs of almost all of Christianity are wrong. That is quite a bit of arrogance.

The greater arrogance is changing the Gospel. I believe the Gospel hasn't changed since the 1st century.

Galatians 1:8 NLT
[8] Let God's curse fall on anyone, including us or even an angel from heaven, who preaches a different kind of Good News than the one we preached to you.

truechristian

BANNED
Banned
This isn't helpful. Catholics aren't pagan.

Every catholic is taught to be pagan as soon as they can kneel and worship an idol of Ishtar/Venus-QueenofHeaven.

'Your eyes are dimmed and your ears are blocked but if you would turn' to the Dead Sea Scrolls that were written before Jesus was born and read that GOD banned pagan worship of idols that you catholics do:

Exodus 20 from Scroll 1Q2 Exodus
1 God spoke all these words, saying,
[..]
3 “You shall have no other gods before me.
[..]
5 you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, Yahweh your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and on the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 and showing loving kindness to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...yed-in-israel/

truechristian

BANNED
Banned
]

Trump, your Your eyes are dimmed and your ears are blocked ever since you were dragged to that confessional when some probably pedo old pagan priest demanded you confess imaginary sins to him.
Then you had to eat a piece of cake baked for Ishtar-QueenofHeaven and threatened that if you didn't believe it really was a bit of Jesus's flesh you would die in a flaming hell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Communion#/media/File:Elsőáldozó_fortepan_40689.jpg

Then you were given a catholic bible perverted to cause you to sin by having Commandments 1& 2 removed. But for your benefit here they are as written with GOD's own finger on the tablets of stone Moses carried up Mt Sinai!
Exodus 20 from Scroll 1Q2 Exodus
1 God spoke all these words, saying,
[..]
3 “You shall have no other gods before me.
[..]
5 you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, Yahweh your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and on the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 and showing loving kindness to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...yed-in-israel/

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
From another thread:

Is There a Queen in the Kingdom of Heaven? PART ONE
By Tim Staples - source link

(quoted with permission)

Pope Pius XII effectively summarized the core reasons Christians ought to honor Mary with the title of Queen of Heaven and Earth:
According to ancient tradition and the sacred liturgy the main principle on which the royal dignity of Mary rests is without doubt her divine motherhood. In holy writ, concerning the son whom Mary will conceive, we read this sentence: “He shall be called the son of the most high, and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father, and he shall reign in the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end,” and in addition Mary is called “Mother of the Lord,” from this it is easily concluded that she is a queen, since she bore a son who, at the very moment of his conception, because of the hypostatic union of the human nature with the Word, was also as man, king and lord of all things. So with complete justice St. John Damascene could write: “When she became mother of the creator, she truly became queen of every creature.” Likewise, it can be said that the heavenly voice of the Archangel Gabriel was the first to proclaim Mary’s royal office (Ad Caeli Reginam, 34).

In a future blog post, I will give more positive reasons for faith in Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth, but many Protestants I speak to cannot get past one biblical text from the Old Testament that casts a shadow over this topic like none other. In Roman Catholics and Evangelicals—Agreements and Differences, Norman Geisler and Ralph MacKenzie present that text along with their commentary that represents the misguided faith of millions. And that text is Jeremiah 7:18:
Do you not see what they are doing in the streets of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? The children gather wood, the fathers kindle fire, and the women knead dough, to make cakes for the queen of heaven; and they pour out drink offerings to other gods, to provoke me to anger.

Geisler and MacKenzie comment:
To call Mary “Queen of Heaven,” knowing that this very phrase comes from an old pagan idolatrous cult condemned in the Bible (cf. Jer. 7:18), only invites the charge of Mariolatry. And Mariolatry is idolatry (p. 322).

I can certainly sympathize with their thinking here. I once thought the same. But the truth is: this text has absolutely nothing to do with the Blessed Mother as Queen of Heaven for at least three reasons:
  1. Jeremiah here condemns the adoration of the Mesopotamian goddess Astarte (see Raymond Brown, S.S., Joseph Fitzmeyer, S.J., Roland E. Murphy, editors, The Jerome Biblical Commentary, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1968, p. 310). She is in no way related to Mary. In fact, “she” did not and does not exist in reality. Mary, on the other hand, was a real historical person who was—and is—a queen by virtue of the fact that her son was—and is—the king.
  2. Jeremiah condemned offering sacrifice to “the queen of heaven.” In Scripture, we have many examples of the proper way we should honor great members of the kingdom of God. We give “double honor” to “elders who rule well” in the Church (1 Tim. 5:17). St. Paul tells us we should “esteem very highly” those who are “over [us] in the Lord” (1 Thess. 5:12-13). We sing praises to great members of the family of God who have gone before us (Psalm 45:17). We bow down to them with reverence (1 Kings 2:19). We carry out the work of the Lord in their names (Matt. 10:40-42, DRV), and more. But there is one thing we ought never to do: offer sacrifice to them. Offering sacrifice is tantamount to the adoration that is due God alone. And this is precisely what Jeremiah was condemning. The Catholic Church does not teach—and has never taught—that we should adore Mary (see CCC 2110-2114; Lumen Gentium 66-67; CCC 971). Catholics offer sacrifice exclusively to God.
  3. To the Evangelical and Fundamentalist, the mere fact that worshipping someone called “queen of heaven” is condemned in Jeremiah 7 eliminates the possibility of Mary being the true Queen of Heaven and Earth. This simply does not follow. The existence of a counterfeit queen does not mean there can’t be an authentic one. This reasoning followed to its logical end would lead to abandoning the entire Christian Faith! We could not have a Bible because Hinduism, Islam, and many other false religions have “holy books.” We could not call Jesus Son of God because Zeus and Hera had Apollo, Isis and Osiris had Horus, etc. The fact that there was a false “queen of heaven” worshipped in ancient Mesopotamia does not negate the reality of the true queen who is honored as such in the kingdom of God.
If you enjoyed this and want to know more, click here.