ECT 'Speaking in Tongues', true vs false.

God's Truth

Exactly

Refuted multiple times already.

"Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise." Jeremiah 17:14

"Worship the LORD your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you…"Exodus 23:25

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." ~Isaiah 41:10

...and many moire.

Give one scripture that says it will stop.

Hawkins

By my own experience somehow I believe that I know what it is. It's basically about a soul to soul talking in the absence of a physical body. That is to say, it is a mechanism humans can communicate, say in Hades. Whoever speaks you (your soul to be specific) will hear as your native tongue. I also speculate that if the one doesn't actually speak your language, and when you hear he "speaks" in your tongue, somehow the speech is a bit mechanical. For example, if you hear an angel speaks, and hear it as in your native tongue then the speech may be perceived a bit mechanical as the angel is speaking in his own language for you to hear as your native tongue.

That said. In the event of Pentecost God just needs to establish such a mechanism, thus whatever the apostles said (more likely in Aramaic) will be heard as everyone's own native tongue simultaneously.

Aimiel

I've never given an interpretation of tongues, but I have heard several. Those whom The Lord calls upon to deliver a word in tongues are blessed, but those who interpret are, as well. Hearing God speak in this manner is transforming and amazing. I've seen and heard many things that are 'marvels' and some more wonderous than can be described. There's revelation that God wants to share, always; but because of unbelief, He stays silent. The blessing that God gives in the Gifts and Ministries of The Holy Spirit are without measure. There is nothing I would take in trade for the blessings I've received in His Presence. Nothing compares. Paul said that he spoke in tongues more than those he was writing his letter to, but also told them to covet to prophesy. Every Christian ought to follow that exhortation. We should seek God that He might give us words to speak in prophecy. As more and more of us seek Him in this, true guidance and direction will be shared with the Body of Christ and we will begin to actually come together in the unity of The Faith.

oatmeal

By the way, the gift of the Holy Ghost,in this case, is not tongues. It is:

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Yes, that is true.

with that gift is included the ability to operate the manifestation of speaking in tongues and the other eight operations of the spirit

Aimiel

Hi and just one answer is in 1 Cor 13:8 says that TONGUES , THEY SHALL CEASE !!

And they did CEASE as that means it is the NEAR VIEW , WHY ?? Because THEY SHALL CEASE / GLOSSA is in the Greek FUTURE TENSE !!

And since they ceased , because Israel has been set aside as written in 2 Cor 3:13-16 THE FAR VIEW will begin as written in Mark 16:17 and 18 as nthese Jews will speak in NEW TONGUES !!

dan p
Tongues have not ceased just as knowledge and prophecy have not. WHEN they do, it will be in conjunction with one another, because that which is perfect will have come. It hasn't. There is NOTHING perfect in this world, yet. Let's look at the context of your 'pet' Scripture...

Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Obviously Paul wants us to 'believe all things' including the tongues, knowledge and prophecies that those who move in the Gifts and Ministries of The Holy Spirit share; and he wants us to know that when 'perfection' comes: there will no longer be a need for prophecy, tongues or knowledge, because we will have nothing to prophesy (everyone will have exhaustive knowledge of the future, just like God does), no need to speak in tongues (speech in Heaven isn't like earth, as we shall all know one another's thoughts) and there won't be ANY lack of knowledge, since we'll be like God (perfect) and know Him, Face-to-face. When we can look at God and see Him, we'll be like Him because we'll know His Thoughts and also know that He knows ours. Perfection does away with more than just these three things, but the insight Scripture gives us by describing prophecy, tongues and knowledge being gone (the three most important things that The Holy Spirit gives us) grants us insight into what perfection is like. If we allow Him to: He can give us more prophecies, tongues and ever deepening knowledge of Him, all we have to do is seek Him for these things and follow His Book of Instructions:

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Those of you who are un-believers can make fun of us believers all you want, but I want to follow my Orders from Headquarters (Holy Scripture) and I'll just keep right on prophesying, speaking in tongues and studying, meditating and listening to The Holy Ghost until I reach perfection. Those of you who have already achieved perfection on your own: more power to you. :chuckle:

andyc

So speaking nonsensical words and utterances with no one to understand or for no practical reason, is it spiritually the same as the speaking in tongues given to the apostles and the early church.

1Co 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands [him]; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

andyc

Trophimus is a person that was left in Miletus sick.

I quoted the passage and you didn't even bother to read it.

Everything I've ever said, every single syllable of it is still here on this thread for the entire world to read.

And Lazarus died. He didn't stay dead, did he?

oatmeal

We find that the scripture shows us that it did occur, but how can a Christian tell if 'Speaking in Tongues' is being given by the Holy Spirit or it has come by a false spirit. Just because a person starts to mutter, mumble or shout unknown 'words' doesn't necessarily mean that they are being given them by the Holy Spirit. People with dementia, or drunks and the insane mumble and shout unknown words, are they being given spiritual gifts of speaking in tongues. Of course not, so how can one tell if the source is from the Holy Spirit, or from another origin.

There are many references to speaking in tongues in the Bible, and we find the most about tongues are Acts 2 and I Corinthians 12-14. Now, you have to understand that at the time there were Jews and non-Jews who came to Jerusalem and from nearby regions who spoke another languages. To communicate with others with different languages, the early Christians needed to have been given a gift so they could understand the Gospel, and the scripture clearly shows that happening. There are many times being able to speak to others in their own tongue or language was very important as we see in the instance when Paul addressed the Jews to give them a understanding of who he was.

Acts 22
1 Men, brethren, and fathers, hear ye my defence which I make now unto you.
2 (And when they heard that he spake in the Hebrew tongue to them, they kept the more silence: and he saith,)
3 I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

Now in Acts 2 when the Apostles speak in tongues it makes if very clear why and what they were speaking.

Acts 2
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

The key part here is there were coming to Jerusalem, 'Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.' We clearly see the purpose and the actual use of speaking in tongues, it was not just babbling or muttering of foolish nonsense, it had a specific purpose and directed for the understanding of those from other languages and lands, as they heard 'speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.'

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

So speaking nonsensical words and utterances with no one to understand or for no practical reason, is it spiritually the same as the speaking in tongues given to the apostles and the early church.

Keep in mind it happened in the early church, the deception of Montanism known by its adherents as the 'New Prophecy', and its followers claimed the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. They spoke in ecstatic visions and utterances and claimed they received the prophetic gift from the prophets. It originated in Phrygia, and spread rapidly to other regions in the Roman Empire and persisted in some isolated places into the 6th century. It was a false speaking in tongues, and was recognized as such, yet spread everywhere and fooled many Christians till it was stamped out.

Seems to me you answered your own questions.

Although there is more to learn about speaking in tongues than what you brought up