ECT There are Two Worlds Spoken of in the Bible, The Old and the New

iamaberean

When the bible speaks of world the words that are translated can be land or an age.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
G3625
οἰκουμένη
oikoumenē
oy-kou-men'-ay
Feminine participle present passive of G3611 (as noun, by implication of G1093); land, that is, the (terrene part of the) globe; - earth, world.

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world
G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end).

Jesus Foretells Destruction of the Temple
Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
The temple will be totally destroyed.
Signs of the End of the Age
Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
This is 'end of the age'.

Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

This is how they died!
https://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/how-did-the-12-apostles-die-a-bible-study/

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Preached in all the known world to all the nations (lost sheep of Israel) the one's Jesus said:
Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

The Abomination of Desolation
Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: )
That happened, destruction of the temple in 70 AD, the end of the Age of Law.

crossnote

I would have thought you were referring to...

2 Peter 3:10,13 NKJV
[10] But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. [13] Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

iamaberean

I would have thought you were referring to...

2 Peter 3:10,13 NKJV
[10] But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. [13] Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

First part 'earth and the works' is age of Law. 'New heavens and a new earth' is still future because in the new heavens and earth there will be no wicked ones.

Mat 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

crossnote

First part 'earth and the works' is age of Law. 'New heavens and a new earth' is still future because in the new heavens and earth there will be no wicked ones.

Mat 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
I guess I'm not grasping your main point.

iamaberean

I guess I'm not grasping your main point.

My point in the original post is that there are two different 'Greek' words being translated as 'world'. One is 'oy-kou-men'-ay', which is 'earth' and the other is 'ahee-ohn' which is 'age'. My example is to show scripture with proper interpretation.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world (earth) for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
G3625
οἰκουμένη
oikoumenē
oy-kou-men'-ay
Feminine participle present passive of G3611 (as noun, by implication of G1093); land, that is, the (terrene part of the) globe; - earth, world.

The scripture above - Mat 24:14 is speaking of land.

The scripture below - Mat 28:20 is about an age.
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world (age)
G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end).

Only by knowing which word is being translated can you properly understand the scripture.

Last edited:

crossnote

My point in the original post is that there are two different 'Greek' words being translated as 'world'. One is 'oy-kou-men'-ay', which is 'earth' and the other is 'ahee-ohn' which is 'age'. My example is to show scripture with proper interpretation.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world (earth) for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
G3625
οἰκουμένη
oikoumenē
oy-kou-men'-ay

The scripture above - Mat 24:14 is speaking of land.

The scripture below - Mat 28:20 is about an age.
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world (age)
G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'

Only by knowing which word is being translated can you properly understand the scripture.

I have a pretty good grasp of the Greek and differences in word usage, I just thought you had a point you wanted to make concluding from the fact that there are at least two Greek words translated into one English word 'world'. Yes it is important we look into differences such as that.

iamaberean

In the Gospels, the word translated as world, is usually an age. That would be the 'Age of Law' or 'Age of Grace'. We just need to know which.

First, let us take a look at Mat.
Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
The subject is the temple that they were looking at and Jesus said it will be destroyed. The rest of these scriptures will be about that temple being destroyed.

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? "age" What age were they living in? LAW, and at the end of the age of law would be 'judgment day'.

The children of Israel knew what the end of the age meant.
Joh 11:20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
Joh 11:21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
Joh 11:22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
Joh 11:23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
Joh 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world (land) for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
When the temple was destroyed it was 70 AD and the disciples had witnessed to all the known world (land) by that time.

iamaberean

The end of this age is about to come. How do we know? Because the Lost Sheep of Israel are being identified and God is coming to save them from their enemies, the wicked ones.

According to history the movement of the Lost Sheep of Israel to the land God was to give them is now revealed. It is Europe, England & their nations along with the USA. These are the only Christian countries in the world. All of these are in jeopardy of being destroyed and God is not going to allow that.

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mat 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

The Parable of the Weeds Explained
Mat 13:36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.
Mat 13:37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world (age).
Mat 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Mat 13:43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

https://ensignmessage.com/articles/where-did-the-twelve-apostles-go/

Last edited: