ECT What is the gospel & what is it's end goal or purpose for our lives?

Jason0047

What is the gospel & what is it's end goal or purpose for our lives?​

What is the gospel?

The gospel is this:

1 "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures"
(1 Corinthians 15:1-4).​

In other words, it is believing in Christ's death and resurrection on our behalf for salvation.

Coming to the Lord for salvation for the first time, can also involve believing in Jesus for salvation.

12 "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:12-13).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16).​

Coming to the Lord for the first time can also involve a person being convicted of their sins, and desiring to seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ by way of prayer.

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

"And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner." (Luke 18:13).

But a new believer needs to accept the gospel, too. They must shortly in time come to believe in Christ's death and resurrection. For believing the gospel is essential to our salvation. It is a belief in which we stand upon for salvation.

But...

What is the gospel's end goal or purpose for our lives?

The gospel's intended purpose is to make us live holy.

Proof #1. - Ephesians 5:25-27.

25 "...even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." (Ephesians 5:25-27).

The purpose of why Christ died for us (Which is a part of the gospel), is so that we be cleansed by the washing of the water of the Word (i.e. the Scriptures). This is so that Christ may be able to present to Himself a glorious church (us) that is without spot, wrinkle, holy, and without blemish.​

Proof #2. - 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 says,

13 “...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).​

Proof #3. - Romans 16:25-26.

25 “Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:” (Romans 16:25-26).​

Proof #4. - Hebrews 5:9 says,

“And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;”​

Proof #5. - 1 Thessalonians 1:8-9 and 1 Thessalonians 1:11-12.

8 “In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;” (1 Thessalonians 1:8-9).

11 “Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
12 That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.” (2 Thessalonians 1:11-12).​

If any reader happens to come across this post reading this, and they have never accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, I would encourage them now to check out the follow comic book tracts below.

For Men:
This-Was-Your-Life.gif

https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=0001

For Women:
You-have-a-date.jpg

https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=1072

May God bless you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ;
And may the love of the Lord Jesus fill your life today.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

In other words, it is believing in Christ's death and resurrection on our behalf for salvation.

You left out the part about redemption through the death of the Lord Jesus, that believers are "justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Ro.3:24).

How can you possibly leave out the purpose of His death and the fact that believers are "justified freely by His grace"?

Jason0047

You left out the part about redemption through the death of the Lord Jesus, that believers are "justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Ro.3:24).

How can you possibly leave out the purpose of His death and the fact that believers are "justified freely by His grace"?

The OP was not meant to be an exhaustive study. Romans 3:24 is a part of the gospel mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. The gospel is how a person first gets saved. A person is freely saved by God's grace when they first come to Christ. From that point on, they have to walk with the Lord by faith and live holy as a part of the end purpose or goal of the gospel.

Jerry Shugart

The OP was not meant to be an exhaustive study. Romans 3:24 is a part of the gospel mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. The gospel is how a person first gets saved. A person is freely saved by God's grace when they first come to Christ. From that point on, they have to walk with the Lord by faith and live holy as a part of the end purpose or goal of the gospel.

When Paul preached the gospel of grace those who heard him knew of that grace (Col.1:6).

It seems strange that when you mentioned the gospel you said absolutely nothing about the "purpose" of the Lord Jesus' death.

The gospel is how a person first gets saved. A person is freely saved by God's grace when they first come to Christ. From that point on, they have to walk with the Lord by faith and live holy as a part of the end purpose or goal of the gospel.

What if they don't walk with the Lord by faith and live holy after they have been saved?

Jason0047

When Paul preached the gospel of grace those who heard him knew of that grace (Col.1:6).

It seems strange that when you mentioned the gospel you said absolutely nothing about the "purpose" of the Lord Jesus' death.

If you were to re-read 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, it gives the purpose. It is to be saved. It says that He died for our sins. Again, the OP was not meant to be an exhaustive detailed break down. All a person needs to be initially saved is to believe in Jesus as their Savior believing in His death and resurrection to save them on their behalf. Obviously they are being saved from sin because Jesus died for our sin.

You said:
What if they don't walk with the Lord by faith and live holy after they have been saved?

They fall into spiritual death and lose their salvation. Granted, they can repent again of their sins as long as they do not reject Jesus as their Savior.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

They fall into spiritual death and lose their salvation. Granted, they can repent again of their sins as long as they do not reject Jesus as their Savior.

Those who received John's first epistle were told that they already possessed eternal life (1 Jn.5:11). And the Lord Jesus said that those to whom He gives eternal life will never perish:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn.10:28).​

We also read the following:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (Jn.3:16).​

Jason0047

Those who received John's first epistle were told that they already possessed eternal life (1 Jn.5:11).

1 John 2:3 says that a person can have an assurance in knowing the Lord if they find that they are keeping His commandments. 1 John 2:4 says that a person who says they know the Lord and yet they do not keep His commandments, they are a liar and the truth is not in him. Logic dictates that a person is not forced against their will to obey God.

In fact, the Bible teaches that we need to endure in our faith to continue to be saved:

"But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;" Hebrews 3:13-14.

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him." James 1:12.

"But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." Matthew 24:13.

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." Revelation 2:10.

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Revelation 2:7.

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." Revelation 2:11.

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." Revelation 3:5.

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." Jude 1:21.

You said:
And the Lord Jesus said that those to whom He gives eternal life will never perish:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn.10:28).​

Right, and you are ignoring the context.
They shall never perish, and no man can pluck them out of his hand if they meet the conditions of verse 27.
Verse 27 says this:

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" (John 10:27).

So the conditions are hearing God's voice, and following Him (which is to obey His commandments). To follow the Lord is to obey Him, and this is how we know the Lord (See again: 1 John 2:3-4).

You said:
We also read the following:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (Jn.3:16).​

Entrance. This is talking about how to get saved. But if one is still doing evil, they are not coming to the light of Christ for salvation.

For if you were to keep reading in John 3, it says this:

19 "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." (John 3:19-21).

Verse 20 is really enlightening. It says everyone who does evil hates the light, unless his deeds should be reproved (or corrected). So if a person is still sinning and or doing evil and they claim to know Christ, they are lying according to 1 John 2:4 and they actually hate the light (the true light of Christ who leads men out of darkness and sin and into paths of righteousness for His namesake). The Bible is actually against Belief / Faith Alone-ism (See James 2:24).

Jason0047

Believers are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace (i.e. Jesus Christ). It is why a person who comes to Jesus for the first time can have an assurance of salvation (Without doing any kind of work). Initial and ultimate salvation is a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8-9). We are not ultimately saved by works of righteousness we have done alone without God's mercy (Titus 3:5). For even if a believer were to stumble into sin, do they get clean by doing another work? No. They get clean by confessing their sins to Jesus (1 John 2:1) (1 John 1:9) and they ask Jesus to help them to overcome their sin (or to forsake it) (Matthew 26:41) (Romans 13:14) (John 15:5). But make no mistake, Scripture is also abundantly clear in that it teaches we are saved by "works of faith" after we are saved by God's grace, too. Simply click on the following spoiler button to check out the verses.

Spoiler
After we are saved by God's grace,
God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

“Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

"Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, "(1 Timothy 6:3-4).

"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (Romans 6:1-2).

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

"If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha." (1 Corinthians 16:22).

"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

“If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10).

And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.” (Luke 10:25-28).

“...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:17-19).

"And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38).

”If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24-26).

"...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62).

“Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8).

"Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).

"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

”And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:12-15).

"For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).

“For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

"...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17).

“Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” (Philippians 2:12).

“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;” (Titus 2:11-12).

“...And having become servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness and the end, everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22).

”Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).

“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:41-46).

”His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21).

”And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

”Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation [i.e. as the people of Israel did when they rebelled against him in the desert.”] (Hebrews 3:12-15) (Note: The explanation on verse 15 in brackets is taken from the Living Bible Translation (TLB)).

”Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)” (Hebrews 3:10-11).

”Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. (Hebrews 4:11).

“In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

“He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

There are five things (as a whole) in the Bible that people are not getting when they read Paul, and thus they easily misunderstand him in justifying a false "sin and still be saved" or "Belief Alone" type gospel (Which is no doubt appealing because it means that a person does not have to change their life all that much and they can live for themselves instead of the Lord). But Jesus says, "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do the things which I say? (Luke 6:46) (NHEB).

Here are the 5 things (as a whole) in Scripture that your average Christian does not understand when they read Paul:

#1. The Bible teaches that there is a change of the Law (Hebrews 7:12); So when Paul talks about the "Law" (generically), he is referring to the Torah, i.e. the Old Law (or the many laws given to Moses and Israel) and not the commandments given to us by Jesus Christ and His followers (i.e. the New Law or New Testament Law).

#2. Paul was fighting against "Circumcision Salvationism" (Which is Law Alone Salvationism without God's grace); A certain sect of Jews were trying to deceive some Christians into thinking they had to first be circumcised in order to be saved. This was a heresy that was clearly addressed at the Jerusalem council (See Acts 15:1, Acts 15:5, Acts 15:24). Paul also addressed this problem; Paul said to the Galatians that if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2), and then Paul mentions how if you seek to be justified by the Law, you have fallen from grace (Galatians 5:4). This "law" is the Torah because circumcision is not a part of the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers.

#3. The Bible speaks against the "False Pharisee Religion" that Paul used to be part of (Which taught: "Law Alone Salvationism" or "Works Alone Salvationism" without God's grace, i.e. Jesus Christ) (See Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42, Luke 18:9-14). Hence, why Paul said we are saved by God's grace through faith and not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9) and that we are not saved by works of righteousness that we have done but we are saved by his mercy (Titus 3:5).

#4. The Bible teaches that sin can separate us from God from Matthew to Revelation (Matthew 5:28-30) (Matthew 6:15) (Matthew 12:37) (Matthew 25:31-46) (Luke 9:62) (1 John 3:15) (Galatians 5:19-21) (Revelation 21:8).

#5. The Bible teaches that obedience to God's commands is tied to eternal life from Matthew to Revelation (See Matthew 19:17-19) (Luke 10:25-28) (1 John 1:7) (1 John 3:23) (Hebrews 5:9) (Revelation 22:14).

Jerry Shugart

Entrance. This is talking about how to get saved. But if one is still doing evil, they are not coming to the light of Christ for salvation.

No, it is not talking about entrance exclusively but instead about the eternal security of the believer also:

Whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. What do you not understand about those words? And what about what the Lord Jesus said here?:

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

Of course those believers living at the time those words were spoken by the Lord Jesus died physically so the "death" which believers will never experience is the second death:

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death" (Rev.20:14).​

Jason0047

No, it is not talking about entrance exclusively but instead about the eternal security of the believer also:

Whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. What do you not understand about those words? And what about what the Lord Jesus said here?:

Everlasting life is a person that we have to abide in in order to have it. Everlasting life is not something that is forever placed upon us because the word "everlasting" is a part of the words "everlasting life."

1 John 5:12 says he that has the Son has life, and He that does not have the Son does not have life.
Jesus alone possessed immortality (See 1 Timothy 6:16).
In order to have the assurance that we know the Lord, we have to be keeping His commandments (See 1 John 2:3).
For that person who says they know the Lord, and they do not keep His commandments, they are a liar and the truth is not in them (See 1 John 2:4).

You said:
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

Notice Jesus ALSO says he that LIVETH in me. To have an assurance that we know Him (or that we live in Him). We have to keep His commandments (1 John 2:3-4). No Jesus, and there is no life (See again: 1 John 5:12).

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" (2 Corinthians 13:5).

John 5:24 says, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

One has to HEAR His Word to have everlasting life.
Hearing God's Word means to obey it.
For Jesus said to the Jews,
"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God." (John 8:47).

You said:
Of course those believers living at the time those words were spoken by the Lord Jesus died physically so the "death" which believers will never experience is the second death:

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death" (Rev.20:14).​

Revelation 2:11 says,
"He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death."

So you have to overcome so as not to be hurt by the second death.

Jerry Shugart

Everlasting life is a person that we have to abide in in order to have it.

Let us look at what the Apostle John told those who received his first epistle:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 Jn.5:11).​

First of all, the Greek word translated "eternal" means "without end, never to cease, everlasting" (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon).

So John is saying that they have a life in the Son which will never end. If it could end John would never have used the word "eternal" to describe that life. But he did use that word.

Secondly, we know that eternal life is a gift (Ro.6:23) and we know the once a gift is given by the Lord He will never take back that gift:

"God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable"
(Ro.11:29).​

Revelation 2:11 says,
"He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death."

So you have to overcome so as not to be hurt by the second death.

Yes, and it one's faith which overcomes the world:

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith"
(1 Jn.5:4).​

Jason0047

Let us look at what the Apostle John told those who received his first epistle:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 Jn.5:11).​

First of all, the Greek word translated "eternal" means "without end, never to cease, everlasting" (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon).

So John is saying that they have a life in the Son which will never end. If it could end John would never have used the word "eternal" to describe that life. But he did use that word.

Secondly, we know that eternal life is a gift (Ro.6:23) and we know the once a gift is given by the Lord He will never take back that gift:

Yes, and it one's faith which overcomes the world:

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith"
(1 Jn.5:4).​

But you are reading these verses with a laser beam and ignoring the other verses that I have presented. Please address the other verses I presented, and then we can have a continued discussion on this, my friend.

Address the verses in the OP and also address the recent verses I posted to you that relate to "everlasting life." For Scripture has to be read as a whole and we cannot focus a laser beam on certain verses at the expense of ignoring others.

beloved57

jason

One has to HEAR His Word to have everlasting life.
Hearing God's Word means to obey it.
For Jesus said to the Jews,
"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God." (John 8:47).

One must be of God in order to hear His Word and submit to it !

Jason0047

jason

One must be of God in order to hear His Word and submit to it !

This is not the case. Scripture again has to be compared with Scripture.

For the Scripture says we have to FIRST repent, and then we are converted.

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;" (Acts 3:19).

beloved57

This is not the case. Scripture again has to be compared with Scripture.

For the Scripture says we have to FIRST repent, and then we are converted.

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;" (Acts 3:19).

Jesus tells us who it is that hears Gods words Jn 8:47

47 [FONT=&quot]He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.[/FONT]

Jason0047

Jesus tells us who it is that hears Gods words Jn 8:47

47 [FONT="]He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.[/FONT]

This is not the case because Acts 3:19 says REPENT and then one is converted. So Jesus was talking about how a person is of GOD in regards to their obedience after they have repented and believed in John 8:47. The context of John 8:47 focuses on the Jew's bad deeds through their whole life and not a one time act time act of accepting the Lord.

Also, in Acts 16:30-31 it says,

30 "And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,..."

Yet, if Calvinism is true, Paul and Silas would have answered the jail keeper's question by saying, "You can do nothing to be saved and it is purely an act of God that you will have to wait so as to see if you are one of the lucky chosen elected ones."

Yet, this is not what happened.

Jerry Shugart

But you are reading these verses with a laser beam and ignoring the other verses that I have presented.

I addressed Revelation 2:11. So it is your time to address what is written to those who received John's first epistle:

Last edited:

Jason0047

I addressed Revelation 2:11. So it is your time to address what is written to those who received John's first epistle:

No. You did not address the verses in the OP. You also did not address my points about how Jesus only has immortality (1 Timothy 6:16), and that we need to abide in the Son in order to have life (1 John 5:12).

As for God's gifts being irrevocable according to Romans 11:29:

God’s gift of salvation is irrevocable so long as the conditions are met.

For if you were to skip up a few verses, it says this:

21 "For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off." (Romans 11:21-22).

So you cannot focus a laser beam on just those verses you prefer seeing.

As for Revelation 2:11:

You really did not explain that all too well and how that works in your belief.
It simply means what it says. If you overcome you will not be hurt by the second death. To overcome is to not sin and to continue to believe in Jesus and to obey Him. One is not overcoming if they are sinning, and running in the opposite direction away from Jesus. A belief alone is akin to the same belief that demons have (See James 2:19).

Jerry Shugart

As for God's gifts being irrevocable according to Romans 11:29:

God’s gift of salvation is irrevocable so long as the conditions are met.

What is said by Paul about the gift of eternal life is an unconditional statement. You add conditions which are not there.

Anyone can make the bible say anything they want it to say by using your method.