ECT To the Jew First

Jerry Shugart

What was the "good news" of Christ which was first preached to the Jews that resulted in salvation for those who believed it?:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek" (Ro.1:16).​

Was it not the same "good news" of Christ by which the Jewish believers were born of God?:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1-5).​

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:30-31).​

"He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the children of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (Jn.1:11-13).​

iamaberean

What was the "good news" of Christ which was first preached to the Jews that resulted in salvation for those who believed it?:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek" (Ro.1:16).​

Was it not the same "good news" of Christ by which the Jewish believers were born of God?:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1-5).​

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:30-31).​

"He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the children of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (Jn.1:11-13).​

Do you not believe that when one speaks of Jews that you must separate the good figs (children of Judah) and the bad figs (children of Esau)?

The Good Figs and the Bad Figs
Jer 24:1 The LORD shewed me, and, behold, two baskets of figs were set before the temple of the LORD, after that Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon had carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, and the princes of Judah, with the carpenters and smiths, from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon.
Jer 24:2 One basket had very good figs, even like the figs that are first ripe: and the other basket had very naughty figs, which could not be eaten, they were so bad.
Jer 24:3 Then said the LORD unto me, What seest thou, Jeremiah? And I said, Figs; the good figs, very good; and the evil, very evil, that cannot be eaten, they are so evil.
Jer 24:4 Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Jer 24:5 Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel; Like these good figs, so will I acknowledge them that are carried away captive of Judah, whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans for their good.
Jer 24:6 For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up.
Jer 24:7 And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.
Jer 24:8 And as the evil figs, which cannot be eaten, they are so evil; surely thus saith the LORD, So will I give Zedekiah the king of Judah, and his princes, and the residue of Jerusalem, that remain in this land, and them that dwell in the land of Egypt:
Jer 24:9 And I will deliver them to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth for their hurt, to be a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse, in all places whither I shall drive them.
Jer 24:10 And I will send the sword, the famine, and the pestilence, among them, till they be consumed from off the land that I gave unto them and to their fathers.

Jerry Shugart

Do you not believe that when one speaks of Jews that you must separate the good figs (children of Judah) and the bad figs (children of Esau)?

There is no reason to suppose that they must be separated because the "good news" of Christ that was first preached to the Jews was preached to all of the Jews.

iamaberean

Fake Jews:
Rev_2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
Rev_3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
The good news for the Jewish people is that which is unattainable through the works of the law is made attainable by faith.

Jerry Shugart

The good news for the Jewish people is that which is unattainable through the works of the law is made attainable by faith.

Even when the Jews were under the law they were saved by grace through faith:

"Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all"
(Ro.4:16).​

That is made plain by the following words of the lord Jesus which He spoke to the Jews who lived under the law:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (Jn.6:47).​

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
Even when the Jews were under the law they were saved by grace through faith:

"Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all"
(Ro.4:16).​

That is made plain by the following words of the lord Jesus which He spoke to the Jews who lived under the law:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (Jn.6:47).​

Yes sir. Before Messiah came the Jewish people needed to have the faith of Abraham which consists of being fully persuaded that God Almighty was able to perform what he promised Abraham and his seed.

Jerry Shugart

Yes sir. Before Messiah came the Jewish people needed to have the faith of Abraham which consists of being fully persuaded that God Almighty was able to perform what he promised Abraham and his seed.

Yes, and when the Lord Jesus walked the earth the Jews who believed that he is the Christ, the Son of God, received life when they were born of God (Jn.1:11-13, 20:30-31, 1 Jn.5:1-4).

Vail Lifted

BANNED
Banned
Yes, and when the Lord Jesus walked the earth the Jews who believed that he is the Christ, the Son of God, received life when they were born of God (Jn.1:11-13, 20:30-31, 1 Jn.5:1-4).

The life that God offers through his son is more precious than anything this world has to offer. I will say that for sure.

DAN P

Hi Jerry and Acts 9:15 rads , And the Lord said to him , Go , because this man is a vessel of choosing for Me , , the one to bear My name before #1 GENTILES and #2 , KINGS #3 then the n sons if Israel !!

How can you reconcile this with your OP ?

dan p

Jerry Shugart

How can you reconcile this with your OP ?

I reconcile my teaching by saying that the following gospel which was promised by the OT prophets (and not the gospel which was kept secret since the world began) was what Paul preached to the Jews at Acts 9:

"Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh" (Ro.1:1-3).​

When do you say that Paul preached that gospel?