ECT LORD in the OT verses Lord in the NT

Right Divider

Body part
In all of the "gospels", Isaiah 40:3 KVJ is quoted. Mark leaves out the reference to the LORD/Lord, but the others do not.

Isa 40:3 ¶ The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. AKJV/PCEJohn 1:23 He said, I [am] the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias. AKJV/PCE

Matt 3:1-3 1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, 2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. 3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. AKJV/PCE

Mark 1:2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. AKJV/PCE

Luke 3:4 As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. AKJV/PCE

As you can see, "Lord" is used to refer to the "LORD".

The frequent use (27 verses) in the NT of "the Lord Jesus Christ" refer to this same LORD.

Last edited:

genuineoriginal

In all of the "gospels", Isaiah 40:3 KVJ is quoted. John leaves out the reference to the LORD/Lord, but the others do not.

Isa 40:3 ¶ The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. AKJV/PCE

John 1:23 He said, I [am] the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias. AKJV/PCE

Matt 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. AKJV/PCE

Mark 1:2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. AKJV/PCE

Luke 3:4 As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. AKJV/PCE
It looks like Mark is the one that left out the reference to "Lord"

As you can see, "Lord" is used to refer to the "LORD".

The frequent use (27 verses) in the NT of "the Lord Jesus Christ" refer to this same LORD.
Not quite.
The verses quoted are speaking about "the way of the LORD", which is defined in Genesis:

Genesis 18:19
18 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.​

glorydaz

It looks like Mark is the one that left out the reference to "Lord"

Not quite.
The verses quoted are speaking about "the way of the LORD", which is defined in Genesis:

Genesis 18:19
18 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.​

That's the lamest attempt I've seen from you in awhile, GO.

genuineoriginal

That's the lamest attempt I've seen from you in awhile, GO.
I can only point out what the scriptures say.
"The way of the LORD" is a phrase that has a specific meaning.
It does not mean the location where Jesus will travel.
It means a life devoted to following God's desires.

1 Kings 2:2-4
2 I go the way of all the earth: be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man;
3 And keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
4 That the Lord may continue his word which he spake concerning me, saying, If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail thee (said he) a man on the throne of Israel.​

2 Kings 21:19-22
19 Amon was twenty and two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned two years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Meshullemeth, the daughter of Haruz of Jotbah.
20 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord, as his father Manasseh did.
21 And he walked in all the way that his father walked in, and served the idols that his father served, and worshipped them:
22 And he forsook the Lord God of his fathers, and walked not in the way of the Lord.​

Right Divider

Body part
I can only point out what the scriptures say.
"The way of the LORD" is a phrase that has a specific meaning.
It does not mean the location where Jesus will travel.
It means a life devoted to following God's desires.
The POINT.... which you are too ignorant to understand is that the word LORD (יְהֹוָה) in the OT is translated Lord (κύριος) in the gospels (some of them).

Many try to make the Lord Jesus Christ a different "lord" than the LORD God. Paul says that we have ONE LORD and that Lord is God.

This is also why Thomas calls Jesus, "My Lord and my God.".

P.S. Your attempted diversion is incorrect.

genuineoriginal

The POINT.... which you are too ignorant to understand is that the word LORD (יְהֹוָה) in the OT is translated Lord (κύριος) in the gospels (some of them).
You seem to be lacking much knowledge about how the word κύριος is used in the Old Testament (Septuagint) and the New Testament.
κύριος is the Greek translation of the Hebrew עֶדְנָה, which is translated as lord in English.

Genesis 18:12
12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
Hebrew: וַתִּצְחַק שָׂרָה בְּקִרְבָּהּ לֵאמֹר אַחֲרֵי בְלֹתִי הָֽיְתָה־לִּי עֶדְנָה וַֽאדֹנִי זָקֵֽן׃
Greek: ἐγέλασεν δὲ Σαρρα ἐν ἑαυτῇ λέγουσα οὔπω μέν μοι γέγονεν ἕως τοῦ νῦν ὁ δὲ κύριός μου πρεσβύτερος

κύριος is only used as the Greek translation of the Hebrew יהוה because the Jews substituted עֶדְנָה whenever they came across יהוה in their reading.

The Translation of the Tetragrammaton
Long before the birth of Christ it had become customary among Jews to avoid pronouncing the sacred Name by substituting אֲדֹנָי (Adonai, meaning “Lord”) for יהוה when the Hebrew text was read aloud, and the Greek equivalent to this is κύριος. And so we find in the Greek New Testament κύριος used in quotations from the Old Testament, where the Hebrew has יהוה.

Right Divider

Body part
You seem to be lacking much knowledge about how the word κύριος is used in the Old Testament (Septuagint) and the New Testament.
κύριος is the Greek translation of the Hebrew עֶדְנָה, which is translated as lord in English.
We all enjoy your misdirection's.... NOT.

Jerry Shugart

Food for thought:

"The LORD (יְהֹוָה) said unto my Lord (אָדוֹן), Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool" (Ps. 110:1).​

"For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD (κύριος) said to my Lord (κύριος), Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool"
(Mk.12:36).​