ECT Obey the Gospel

turbosixx

I've been thinking about the gospel "proper" and this verse came to mind.

2 Thess. 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

I was wondering 1) how does one obey the gospel and 2) is it a one time thing?

Here are some examples of the word "obey" (G5219) used elsewhere in scripture.
Rom. 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Eph. 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

Col. 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

Danoh

The answer to your question is laid out, not surprisingly, in the latter half of 2 Thessalonians 2.

Acts 17:11, 12.

Rosenritter

2 Thess. 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Rom. 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Col. 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

I am reminded of hearing some people argue that we do not need to obey and especially not the gospel of Jesus Christ. Someone even said that "Trust and obey, for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey" is a terrible song.

Obedience is not a one-time thing. If children are obedient to their parents, it is not sufficient to be obedient at one point in space-time. Obedience to the gospel is to believe in our Lord and Christ, and the continuing action of that belief is faith. This faith is manifested in repentance, and obedience to his commandments, which are chiefly summed in one word, love. This belief, faith, obedience, and repentance are the works of our faith, the evidence that our love is true. Against this there is no law.

Galatians 5:22-26 KJV
(22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
(23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
(24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
(25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
(26) Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Danoh

I am reminded of hearing some people argue that we do not need to obey and especially not the gospel of Jesus Christ. Someone even said that "Trust and obey, for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey" is a terrible song.

Obedience is not a one-time thing. If children are obedient to their parents, it is not sufficient to be obedient at one point in space-time. Obedience to the gospel is to believe in our Lord and Christ, and the continuing action of that belief is faith. This faith is manifested in repentance, and obedience to his commandments, which are chiefly summed in one word, love. This belief, faith, obedience, and repentance are the works of our faith, the evidence that our love is true. Against this there is no law.

(22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
(24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
(26) Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

The answer to his question is laid out, not surprisingly, in the latter half of 2 Thessalonians 2.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Is there a difference between obeying the gospel and obeying the commandments? Or are the commandments a part of the gospel? When we think of the truth of the gospel we might be thinking of facts beliefs statements. But that we have sinned is a part of the gospel. And to not sin does that involve obeying the gospel? Because it most certainly involves the commandments as sin is transgression of the law. But we are not under the law we are under grace. Can we or should we obey the law? And is it required of all believers? Do we learn and voluntarily submit to what God reveals to us for us to obey?

Danoh

Is there a difference between obeying the gospel and obeying the commandments? Or are the commandments a part of the gospel? When we think of the truth of the gospel we might be thinking of facts beliefs statements. But that we have sinned is a part of the gospel. And to not sin does that involve obeying the gospel? Because it most certainly involves the commandments as sin is transgression of the law. But we are not under the law we are under grace. Can we or should we obey the law? And is it required of all believers? Do we learn and voluntarily submit to what God reveals to us for us to obey?

The answer to his question is laid out, not surprisingly, in the latter half of 2 Thessalonians 2.

john w

Hall of Fame
The context is "believe(ing)":

Romans 2:8 KJV but unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

Romans 6:17 KJV But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Romans 10 KJV

1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. 6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) 7 or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) 8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9 that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 and how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

...and thus, wait for it...(my note)...

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel.

Romans 1:5 KJV by whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

Romans 16:26 but now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

EOT. QED. RIP. CLOSED.

way 2 go

oh rosenritter there is that word "spirit" again which you just do not understand
this will be fruitless discussion for you. :dead:

interesting that it says fruit of the spirit
not fruit of your flesh trying to obey his commandments

:think:

Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

john w

Hall of Fame
Obedience to the gospel is to believe in our Lord and Christ, and the continuing action of that belief is faith. This faith is manifested in repentance, and obedience to his commandments, which are chiefly summed in one word, love. This belief, faith, obedience, and repentance are the works of our faith, the evidence that our love is true.

Define this fuzzy "continuing action." How much "repentance." Lay it out for us. What is the "bar" of "obedience to his commandments?" All of them? 76% of them? 99.99999% of them? Just "do your best?" How much "love? How much "faith?" How much EVIDENCE? You decide? Do be a dear, and quantify all of the above alleged "good news,"objectively, as in the death, burial, resurrection, is objectively presented.

Save it-it is a rhetorical question. An honest, and saved one, would admit that they do not do, as you assert we must, including yourself. And get this, lost one, and whoever falls for the above "subtil"(Genesis 3 ff KJC) deception: There is only one person, that fulfilled the LORD God's burdensome demand, to obedience to his commandments, to faithfulness, to "love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might"(Deuteronomy chapters 6,10, 11, 13, 30, Matthew 22:37 KJV), all to the standard that He demands-100% compliance-the man Christ Jesus, God, in the flesh, the great God and Saviour. We all "come short," and are declared "guilty," as charged, so shut your mouth......And hence, the reason He came to earth-the dbr.

Romans 3 KJV
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God..........23 for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Rosenritter

1. When you use the word commandments, it simply means "that which is commanded." There might be potential confusion between specific commandments, such as "the Ten Commandments" and other commandments such as "A new commandment I give unto you" (John 13:34) and "Again, a new commandment I write unto you" (1 John 2:8).

2. When you use the word "law" that also means a system of rules or guidelines which influence our behavior. Like the word "commandments" it might represent a specific set of laws such as "Moses's law" (Hebrews 10:28) or "even the law of commandments contained in ordinances" (Eph 2:15) or instead the application of what should influence our behavior in the gospel also called "the law of Christ" (Gal 6:2) or "the law of liberty" (James 2:12).

Can or should we obey the law? If you mean the law of Moses, that is of a covenant that is done away, its commandments written in stone are said to be abolished (Eph 2:15) and I would also ask, what would be gained? Peter called the Law (of Moses) a yoke which our forefathers were unable to bear (Acts 15:10.)

Acts 15:10-11 KJV
(10) Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
(11) But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Can or should you obey the law of Christ and the law of liberty? If you understand this law then the answer is most certainly, for the law of Christ and the law of liberty is summed with one word, even love.

Galatians 5:13-14 KJV
(13) For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
(14) For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1 John 2:3-5 KJV
(3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
(4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
(5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Legend:
Red is the Old Covenant of commandments and ordinances and the law of Moses,

Blue is the new covenant in Christ's blood of love and liberty.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
1. When you use the word commandments, it simply means "that which is commanded." There might be potential confusion between specific commandments, such as "the Ten Commandments" and other commandments such as "A new commandment I give unto you" (John 13:34) and "Again, a new commandment I write unto you" (1 John 2:8).

2. When you use the word "law" that also means a system of rules or guidelines which influence our behavior. Like the word "commandments" it might represent a specific set of laws such as "Moses's law" (Hebrews 10:28) or "even the law of commandments contained in ordinances" (Eph 2:15) or instead the application of what should influence our behavior in the gospel also called "the law of Christ" (Gal 6:2) or "the law of liberty" (James 2:12).

Can or should we obey the law? If you mean the law of Moses, that is of a covenant that is done away, its commandments written in stone are said to be abolished (Eph 2:15) and I would also ask, what would be gained? Peter called the Law (of Moses) a yoke which our forefathers were unable to bear (Acts 15:10.)

Acts 15:10-11 KJV
(10) Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
(11) But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Can or should you obey the law of Christ and the law of liberty? If you understand this law then the answer is most certainly, for the law of Christ and the law of liberty is summed with one word, even love.

Galatians 5:13-14 KJV
(13) For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
(14) For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1 John 2:3-5 KJV
(3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
(4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
(5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Legend:
Red is the Old Covenant of commandments and ordinances and the law of Moses,

Blue is the new covenant in Christ's blood of love and liberty.

You have an interesting perspective. Your legend throws me off. However, I would just say that all of the Law is there to be observed, but that it is not required for salvation. Meaning this, that the Law is about love but some things have become voluntary in Christ for those not accustomed to them.

Let's put it this way. Jesus instructed us to keep and teach the commandments. Jews do. Gentiles didn't. But now in some regard they do, some of the Gentiles at least. So then it does not make sense to me to tell a Jew to not keep the Law, even the Law of Moses God's Law.

Rosenritter

You have an interesting perspective. Your legend throws me off. However, I would just say that all of the Law is there to be observed, but that it is not required for salvation. Meaning this, that the Law is about love but some things have become voluntary in Christ for those not accustomed to them.

Let's put it this way. Jesus instructed us to keep and teach the commandments. Jews do. Gentiles didn't. But now in some regard they do, some of the Gentiles at least. So then it does not make sense to me to tell a Jew to not keep the Law, even the Law of Moses God's Law.

There is no more such distinction between Jew and Gentile.

Galatians 3:28-29 KJV
(28) There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
(29) And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There is no more such distinction between Jew and Gentile.

Galatians 3:28-29 KJV
(28) There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
(29) And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Is it possible that this has to do with no difference in standing in Christ, but not whether or not you observe all of the commandments as the nation of Israel or along with the nation of Israel? My understanding is that there still is the commandments.

Rosenritter

Is it possible that this has to do with no difference in standing in Christ, but not whether or not you observe all of the commandments as the nation of Israel or along with the nation of Israel? My understanding is that there still is the commandments.

Colossians 2:14-17 KJV
(14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
(15) And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
(16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
(17) Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

That handwriting of ordinances was never against the Gentiles but only against the Jews, so whatever application this has includes those who were formerly Jews but are now in Christ. The Ten Commandments are shown to be included in those ordinances as the sabbath days (mentioned separately from the sabbaths of the holy days) were one of those Ten Commandments.

2 Corinthians 3:7-14 KJV
(7) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
(8) How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
(9) For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
(10) For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
(11) For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
(12) Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
(13) And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
(14) But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

Even with plainness of speech Paul says that the commandments (that which was written and engraved in stone) is abolished and done away. That certainly means the Ten Commandments, which were the only writings that were made in stone. The only way those commandments still exist is as an element of history recorded in the scripture, that are useful for instruction and teaching, but the words "abolished" and "done away" certainly do not indicate that they are in effect.

Galatians 3:23-26 KJV
(23) But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
(24) Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
(25) But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
(26) For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

glorydaz

(14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
(15) And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
(16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

That handwriting of ordinances was never against the Gentiles but only against the Jews, so whatever application this has includes those who were formerly Jews but are now in Christ. The Ten Commandments are shown to be included in those ordinances as the sabbath days (mentioned separately from the sabbaths of the holy days) were one of those Ten Commandments.

(7) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
(9) For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
(10) For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
(11) For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
(13) And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
(14) But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

Even with plainness of speech Paul says that the commandments (that which was written and engraved in stone) is abolished and done away. That certainly means the Ten Commandments, which were the only writings that were made in stone. The only way those commandments still exist is as an element of history recorded in the scripture, that are useful for instruction and teaching, but the words "abolished" and "done away" certainly do not indicate that they are in effect.

(23) But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
(24) Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Wrong. The purpose of the law remains. It was given to show men their guilt and lead them to Christ through faith. The moral laws included in the Ten commandments are written in the conscience of all men. I don't know how Rosenritten explains how we are to get rid of those.

It's easy to toss up a bunch of verses and try to make them say what they were never meant to say. It is actually a matter of administration...being under the law or under the Spirit.

Do not be deceived, Jacob, by this false teacher.

Danoh

I have taken a look at that.

I believe you have.

But obviously, that was not enough.

Notice...

2 Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

2 Thessalonians 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Both chapters are speaking within the same narrative...the wrath to come upon those who believed not the gospel of Christ.

And both chapters are speaking of how that those who did believe the truth will escape said wrath to come...

What truth?

Ask - the - Scripture - notice that both chapters answer that as well...

2 Thessalonians 1:10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 2:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Still not convinced?

Go back a book to...

1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

As to what you three were exploring when you allowed yourselves to be thrown by Paul's use of the word "obey" as if it only has one meaning in Scripture, the obey you three were attempting to sort out is a function of one's day to day State being allowed to be impacted by the Word, in light of one's eternal, and once for all Standing, in Christ.

Which is what Paul's "the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe" is referring to AFTER one has believed the gospel.

In other words, this here...

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

That comes AFTER one has believed the Word of God.

God is then able to work effectively in you that have believed His Word, He is able to effectually work or motivate obedience in the Believer through His Word, as the Believer learns in and through His Word all about God's wondrous Son's FINISHED work on the Cross, in each...our stead.

This is Grace Motivation - the principle of doing a thing out of Gratitude, thus, Paul's use not only of the wording "both to will" or want to "and to do" - but also, of the wording - "of HIS GOOD PLEASURE."

This principle of service out of a gratitude towards God for His Son that time in the Word He communicated in written form by His Spirit to and through its writers, is meant to result in, in the Believer, and is a constant in Paul's writings, though he is not alone in his advocating of it.

Here it is in the following, for example...

1 John 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 4:11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

In stark contrast to that, the "obey" of 2 Thessalonians 1, refers simply, to believing the gospel of our salvation, to begin with.

1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Are you saying that salvation is about belief but not obedience?