ECT Proof: You were only forgiven of your past sins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZacharyB

Peter didn't even know the Lord would die (let alone for anyone's sins)
Paul didn't know if his believer friends would "draw back to perdition" (Hebrews 10:39).
Bless his little heart, he was always edifying, exhorting, encouraging, etc. ...
whilst he was somewhat hiding his dire warnings about the possibility of losing salvation.

This is common throughout the epistles ...
God doesn't want to discourage the babes in Christ.

But, these warnings don't scare the true obedient BACs,
who are truly travelling on the narrow path to heaven.
Hey, I like that ... truly travelling.

If anyone doesn't care for the "whilst",
I shall endeavor to refrain from using it.

BoyStan

Paul didn't know if his believer friends would "draw back to perdition" (Hebrews 10:39).
Bless his little heart, he was always edifying, exhorting, encouraging, etc. ...
whilst he was somewhat hiding his dire warnings about the possibility of losing salvation.

This is common throughout the epistles ...
God doesn't want to discourage the babes in Christ.

But, these warnings don't scare the true obedient BACs,
who are truly travelling on the narrow path to heaven.
Hey, I like that ... truly travelling.

If anyone doesn't care for the "whilst",
I shall endeavor to refrain from using it.

Paul said,'we are ...of those who believe to the saving of the soul.' he was confident of their salvation.
God or Paul would never shy away from their 'dire warnings' when needed(Gal1:8).
Jesus spoke dire warnings about hell and judgement to the disciples and his hearers.
Such warnings are an integral part of the gospel and gospel preaching.
Unlike Paul and Jesus many today shy away from preaching such warnings.

God's Truth

At the moment you were born-again …
you were only forgiven of the sins you had committed up to that point in time!

“For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his OLD sins. Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for IF you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” (2 Peter 1:9-11, NKJV)
“OLD sins” is also in the KJV, RSV, NLT, AMP

“having forgotten his purification from his FORMER sins.” (2 Peter 1:9, NASB)
“FORMER sins” is also in the ESV

“forgetting that they have been cleansed from their PAST sins.” (2 Peter 1:9, NIV)
“PAST sins” is also in the HCSB

Now for some confirming NT passages …

Paul wrote this to the Corinthian church concerning his words of rebuke
in 1 Corinthians that he had sent to them concerning some particular sin(s).
They really needed to be sorrowful and repent.

“… the pain (from his rebuke) caused you to repent and change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants His people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way. For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. … worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual (eternal) death.”
(2 Corinthians 7:8-10, NLT)

“Yes, I am afraid that when I come again, God will humble me in your presence. And I will be grieved because many of you have not given up your old sins. You have not repented of your impurity, sexual immorality, and eagerness for lustful pleasure.” (2 Corinthians 12:21, NLT)

Peter is warning believers about God’s destruction of all ungodly and unholy people:
“Then he used the water to destroy the ancient (ungodly) world … the day of judgment, when ungodly people will be destroyed. … He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed (perish spiritually), but (he) wants everyone to repent. … what holy and godly lives you should live … (you) make every effort to be found living peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight. … I am warning you ahead of time … Be on guard so that you will not be carried away by the errors …” (2 Peter 3:6-17, NLT)

John gives the condition for the Lord to forgive believers’ present sins:
“But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all wickedness (unrighteousness).” (1 John 1:9, NLT)

“This is an extremely important verse … all men need to be repeatedly purified from all unrighteousness – from all their sins … We must confess our sins and turn from them …
We must also confess them with our actions … (John) is talking here about repentance …
we must hate our sins and turn from them. This is true repentance.”
(The Applied New Testament Commentary; Dr. Thomas Hale)

2 verses later, John reminds believers to ask Jesus to plead our case before the Father:
“My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.
But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father.
He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.” (1 John 2:1, NLT)

Believers are responsible for repenting of their sins after they are born-again!
They have been given the Holy Spirit, a totally new nature, and God’s word.
So, they have been enabled to be victorious overcomers over sin, the world, and the devil.
They have no excuse for failing to do this.

This is good and true.

God's Truth

Explain these scriptures that tell us to repent AFTER being saved.

Revelation 3:19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.

Revelation 3:3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

Revelation 2:5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.

2 Corinthians 12:21 I am afraid that when I come again, my God may humiliate me before you, and I will grieve for many of those who previously sinned and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and licentiousness that they have practiced.

God's Truth

Show us where Peter preached Christ's resurrection prior to His crucifixion.

You can't, because he didn't.

John the FORERUNNER of Jesus said Jesus is the LAMB OF GOD WHO TAKES AWAY SINS.

John 1:9 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

John 1:36 When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, "Look, the Lamb of God!"

Matthew 1:21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."

John 4:42 They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world."

There is only one gospel, and it is about Jesus who takes away our sins.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
John the FORERUNNER of Jesus said Jesus is the LAMB OF GOD WHO TAKES AWAY SINS.

John 1:9 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

John 1:36 When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, "Look, the Lamb of God!"

There is only one gospel, and it is about Jesus who takes away our sins.
Now show us the resurrection. That's His death, not His resurrection.

God's Truth

Now show us the resurrection. That's His death, not His resurrection.

Even Jesus' enemies knew he was going to rise again; it is why they guarded his tomb.

Mark 9:31 because he was teaching his disciples. He said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men. They will kill him, and after three days he will rise."

Matthew 16:21
From that time on Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and that He must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

Matthew 27:63
"Sir," they said, "we remember that while He was alive that deceiver said 'After three days I will rise again.'

Mark 10:34
who will mock Him and spit on Him and flog Him and kill Him. And after three days He will rise again."

Mark 8:31
Then He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and that He must be killed and after three days rise again.

God's Truth

If it was the same gospel, then why would God need another Apostle to preach it (Paul) alone (the twelve for the most part never left Jerusalem after Paul's conversion)? I mean, you'd think having 12 apostles to preach the same gospel would be enough, and then they don't even do what they're told (go out into the world).

Well, at Pentecost, all the Jews from every nation came.

It was easy to spread the gospel to many different nations that way.

In Acts 2:5 we see that there were JEWS from EVERY NATION. The Jews are the people God said that He would speak to through men of strange tongues...

Acts 2:5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

Acts 2:6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

Just look at the list of places the Jews had come from...

Acts 2:8-Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"

Peter taught to these Jews who became Christians.

Last edited:

God's Truth

In other words, WHY PAUL?

Also, Galatians 2:7-9 specifically mentions two different gospels.

The gospel of the uncircumcised, given to Paul, and the gospel of the circumcised, given to Peter.
Same gospel but two different people preaching it.
Paul preached to the circumcised too, in the beginning; and, he preached the exact same gospel whether or not they were circumcised.

Acts 26:20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

Acts 20:21
I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

God's Truth

'But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned(Gal1:8)

Paul and Peter preached the same gospel(Gal 2:6-9).

There is only one gospel!

Right; there is only one gospel, and, Paul saying for those preaching different gospels should be eternally condemned would be strange if he taught another one. It would make him sound like an insane hypocrite.

Does it sound right if Paul means this: "I am preaching a different gospel than the one Jesus and Peter preach, but, if I preach another one other than my other one, then I should be eternally condemned".

BoyStan

Right; there is only one gospel, and, Paul saying for those preaching different gospels should be eternally condemned would be strange if he taught another one. It would make him sound like an insane hypocrite.

Does it sound right if Paul means this: "I am preaching a different gospel than the one Jesus and Peter preach, but, if I preach another one other than my other one, then I should be eternally condemned".

Your saying Paul preached another gospel?
Are you suggesting a different gospel for the Jews and another gospel for Gentiles?
Please explain clearly Paul's 'other one'. How does it differ from Jesus and Peter's gospel?

God's Truth

Your saying Paul preached another gospel?
Are you suggesting a different gospel for the Jews and another gospel for Gentiles?
Please explain clearly Paul's 'other one'. How does it differ from Jesus and Peter's gospel?

I am agreeing with you that there is only one gospel; that Paul preached the same gospel that Jesus preached and the other apostles taught.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
In my extended absence from TOL, I’ve spent much time considering the futility of conversing with others whose epistemics are corrupted by their wide array of presuppositions and life experiences that have formed their thought processes as well as the ultimate subject matter they have imbibed as alleged objective truth and/or fact.

PPS your message box is full.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Perhaps I have to wait a bit until the system catches up.
It's your private box that is apparently full.

I think I figured out the problem. I previously had a higher level membership with more message storage, but didn’t renew that level. So I have an over-maxxed message box that can’t be cleared enough to make room for new messages with the few I’ve kept for various reasons.

Can you do it via Visitor Message?

Status
Not open for further replies.