ECT THE MEANING OF 1 COR 13:13 !!

DAN P

Hi to all and 1 Cor 13:13 reads , And now remains Faith , Hope Love , these 3 things BUT ( the ) Greatest of these ( is ) LOVE !!

#1 Only one verb in this verse and it is ABIDETH / MENO which places this in the Dispensation of the Grace of God , also called the MYSTERY !!

In verse 8 we see that the that LOVE never falls from its position !!

#2 , Bur TONGUES , PROPHECIES AND and the KNOWLEDGE are all in the Greek FUTURE TENSE and these gifts will come back during the GREAT TRIBULATION of Israel and not UNTIL THEN !

#3 , But Faith , Hope and Love is all the remains during this AGE of Grace , !!

#3 , BUT when Christ comes back fot His EKKLESIA / ASSEMBLY called the B O C our Faith will be made complete ans also our Hope of the resurrection !!

All that will be Left is LOVE / AGAPE love that God and we have for our God !!

So during this AGE , there is not water baptism , or tongues or repentance as they are not necessary as we are all INDWELLED by the Holy Spirit !!

dan p

Bradley D

To abide for me means to live by. Faith (Hebrews 11:1), Hope (Hebrews 6:19), and Charity (1 Cor. 13:4-7).

Patrick Cronin

You are seriously saying that while we are still in this world (that is, before we have died)there is no repentance? Are you saying that the gift of the Holy Spirit to Christians means that from that moment they never commit any further sin? This is patently untrue from every one's Christian experience including St. Paul.

musterion

You are seriously saying that while we are still in this world (that is, before we have died)there is no repentance? Are you saying that the gift of the Holy Spirit to Christians means that from that moment they never commit any further sin? This is patently untrue from every one's Christian experience including St. Paul.

Catholic opinion noted, rejected.

Danoh

In your defense - regardless of what ever your "faith" might or might not be - if you are talking, say, about principles or guidelines like those laid out, say, in Romans 6, or 2 Cor. 7, I'd have to agree that in your above, your "witness is true" - on the same basis that the Apostle Paul used this phrase in the following....

Titus 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; 1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Though the guy was obviously not a Believer, the Apostle Paul had found himself conceding the guy's nevertheless obviously valid point.

Likewise as to your above - regardless of how you might view the following, within what you consider your "faith," it's various principles are obviously not only "true" but warranted the Apostle Paul's sense that the reality they speak of needed to be pointed out.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

2 Corinthians 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 7:11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

Again, you might or might not hold a different understanding of some of that, but that alone does not invalidate any your above assertion.

At the same time, this here...

Romans 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Is this "sin revived and I died" and "let...sin reign in your mortal body" and "obey it in the lusts thereof" here...

Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Romans 5:8.

Patrick Cronin

I was not giving an opinion, I was appealing to the honesty of readers, none of whom claim to be walking saints, living without sin. Do you claim that since you became a Christian you have never done anything wrong? Place yourself in the crowd before Jesus who challenged them all, from religious leaders downwards "Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone". EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WENT AWAY. St John says:
"My dear children,(Christians), I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father...."(1 John 2:1). What more do you want?

musterion

I was not giving an opinion, I was appealing to the honesty of readers, none of whom claim to be walking saints, living without sin. Do you claim that since you became a Christian you have never done anything wrong? Place yourself in the crowd before Jesus who challenged them all, from religious leaders downwards "Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone". EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WENT AWAY. St John says:
"My dear children,(Christians), I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father...."(1 John 2:1). What more do you want?

For whom is the Law intended?

For the unrighteous and ungodly. The lost.

Does that include those who are in Christ via the saving Gospel of grace?

No. Christ's righteousness is reckoned to them as members of His Body, by virtue of their being counted as having died with Him (the Law has no claim on those who have died).

So in what sense can/do believers sin?

They can't. All sin that is still apparent in the lives of believers is due solely to their flesh and the sin which dwells within it -- flesh which the believer occupies BUT from which they are judicially severed.

In that case, what relevance does 1 Jn 2:1 have for those who are in Christ?

None. John was talking to and about a different group operating under a different system.

DAN P

Hi and REPENTANCE is a WORD as described in Acts 26:20 !!

You need to read 1 Cor 3:10-17 , especially verse 17 !!

IF you do not understand this verse , let me know and will EXPLAIN IT TO YOU !!

dan p