ECT Covetousness

nikolai_42

The sin of covetousness is what seems to me to be the "sticky wicket" of God's requirements for holiness. In the OT, the commandments instructed that covetousness was forbidden. This is the same Law that is often thought to be devoted to externals. And it seems to me that Jesus used it to bring men to the point of realizing that they had no hope in themselves. "Stop coveting" is a command none can instantly conform to on their own. It springs from the heart (Mark 7:22) and caught the rich young ruler by surprise (it seems) when he couldn't bring himself to part with those possessions - the abundance of which were fundamental to his existence (Matthew 19:22). Jesus warned strictly against being possessed by one's possessions (Luke 12:15).

So when Jesus says that guilt of murder and adultery need not be accompanied by an obvious physical act (Matthew 5:22,28), it should be understood that this catches everyone. Covetousness is idolatry (Eph 5:5), so it should also be no surprise that those who are dead in trespasses and sin bear the mark of this (I Cor 5:10 and Col 3:5). But in examining the things which the believer should be on the look out for, he says this :

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
I Cor 5:11

Of the 6 traits Paul warns against the church tolerating in the body of believers, only 1 is potentially covert - covetousness. A heart that desires what is not its own is guilty of covetousness if we are to believe Christ's words. But who can tell if that heart is truly covetous or not? Peter warns against those who are essentially devoid of any truth - those who may have followed the truth at one point but have departed from it (2 Peter 2:15). The same chapter mentions covetousness twice as central to this sort of false prophet (2 Peter 2:3,14).

So how is the church to discern this covetousness that is strictly warned against in I Cor 5? Can it be inferred that this is a sin which indicates someone is not regenerate if such a warning is given? Or is it simply because of the cancerous nature of this particular sinful position that requires isolation from others to deal with it?

But even more pressing, in some ways, is if there is some sort of spectrum here. What do I mean? Looking at this well known verse, one could easily read it as indicating an ideal rather than something that should be a universal reality in the church :

But godliness with contentment is great gain
I Timothy 6:6

That is, can one be Godly without necessarily being content? If so, isn't that the picture of covetousness in which we find all manner of evil? Aren't we, then, left with a scenario in which one could be (in some degree) covetous without being guilty of the sin of covetousness (!)? At least as guilty in such a way that one would be considered worthy of being pushed out of the assembly....

What is meant - in these several instances - by covetousness?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
I was musing on this very thing yesterday.

Coveting as well as godliness are personal things.

One cannot share another's contentment.

nikolai_42

I was musing on this very thing yesterday.

Coveting as well as godliness are personal things.

One cannot share another's contentment.

Just happened to check right after you posted...

So when Paul tells the Corinthians that we aren't supposed to fellowship with those that are covetous...that it is equated with idolatry - and yet implies to Timothy that one can be godly but not content - how do we bridge that (apparent) gap?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Just happened to check right after you posted...

So when Paul tells the Corinthians that we aren't supposed to fellowship with those that are covetous...that it is equated with idolatry - and yet implies to Timothy that one can be godly but not content - how do we bridge that (apparent) gap?

I reckon to be content with godliness one must acknowledge the power thereof.

Truster

It would help if you understood that "godliness" is a mistranslation. It should be reverence and is directed at all that is Holy.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
6The punishment imposed on him by the majority is sufficient for him. 7So instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love for him.…

Galatians 6:1
Brothers, if someone is caught in a trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him with a spirit of gentleness. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind and tender-hearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in Christ God forgave you.

nikolai_42

6The punishment imposed on him by the majority is sufficient for him. 7So instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love for him.…

Galatians 6:1
Brothers, if someone is caught in a trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him with a spirit of gentleness. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind and tender-hearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in Christ God forgave you.

I'm not suggesting the sin is some unforgivable sin or puts a man outside of Christ - or even that such a person should be totally isolated. That can't be because they need to be brought to repentance (as the passages you quote suggest). But there is a certain approach to covetousness in Paul's first letter to the Corinthians - one of no tolerance (in a certain sense, at least...) - that seems a little different than his approach to contentment (the statement of the absence of covetousness) in his first letter to Timothy. He essentially seems to tolerate some form or degree of covetousness to Timothy where he sets it apart with other sins as requiring some form of separation.

I'm not charging Paul with inconsistency, but I'm trying to understand what is understood in the context of the Corinthian letter and what is understood in the context of the letter to Timothy. A blanket understanding of covetousness as generalized desiring what someone else wants doesn't fill in the gaps. In my mind, at least...

When the scriptures mention sin, I take it that we should understand them to be exceedingly sinful - not just graded on a scale. Certainly some sins have different effect - which could be why Paul isolates these 6 sins for the Corinthians - but how can it be that being discontent is not equivalent with covetousness (again, in I Timothy 6)? Should we think there are some sins - or degree of sins - that are not as sinful as others?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
A blanket understanding of covetousness as generalized desiring what someone else wants doesn't fill in the gaps. In my mind, at least...

I believe the Law says thou shall not covet what your neighbor already has.

Not sure why you would say what he wants.

If I have my own, would I be content if I wanted his too?

Wouldn't that constitute lust?

I would say that those who think gain is godliness have a lot more problems than just coveting.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I believe the Law says thou shall not covet what your neighbor already has.

Not sure why you would say what he wants.

If I have my own, would I be content if I wanted his too?

Wouldn't that constitute lust?

I would say that those who think gain is godliness have a lot more problems than just coveting.
I think coveting falls under the realm of selfishness. There are so many forms of selfishness

Truster

Archive this post and file it under "The textbook words of a Child of Pride"... "Douche Bag" works too!

# Wicked Tongue

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden(secret) manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it".​

You wouldn't know nor understand this so you revert to the abuse of the dead in sin.

nikolai_42

Covetousness is putting something ahead of God.

Some people covet money, some covet power.

Different people covet different things.

Covetousness tells God He isn't enough. And I was listening to a sermon yesterday in which the pastor said that we covet because we don't want enough. We are limited by our own understanding and use that to guide our desires instead of what God has for us. So, in essence, we are denying Him (ouch!).