ECT Did God Create everything?

HikaruSwift

My friend and I are having a debate on the statement: God created Everything.
I say man created air planes, cars, tv's and nasty play boy magazines.

He says God created everything, but men use what God created to make things, so technically God made everything.....and play boy magazines, because he created trees which make paper, etc, etc.

So I tried to get him to say God didn't create play boy magazines, which he did only half way, he wouldn't completely remove God's connection with the making of wicked things like playboy mags.

So am I wrong in saying that things that man make are what man has made, and that God only created things he said he created and nothing more?

Or is it logically considered that God made all things because every material we use to make things come from God?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The word for "create" can also mean form, make, etc,

The difference is GOD can create from nothing, and man cannot.
Man can only form things from existing material that GOD already created, but cannot create the material himself.

So when man creates an automobile, it is made/formed of existing material, and not created from nothing.

Rivers

Man can only form things from existing material that GOD already created, but cannot create the material himself.

So when man creates an automobile, it is made/formed of existing material, and not created from nothing.

The problem with this idea is that when God started "creation" in Genesis 1:3, there was already "darkness and deeps waters" in existence (Genesis 1:2). The apostles also understood that the "heavens and earth" were "formed out of water and by water" (2 Peter 3:5). This doesn't sound like creating out of "nothing."

Can you give an example of where God actually created something out of nothing?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The problem with this idea is that when God started "creation" in Genesis 1:3, there was already "darkness and deeps waters" in existence (Genesis 1:2). The apostles also understood that the "heavens and earth" were "formed out of water and by water" (2 Peter 3:5). This doesn't sound like creating out of "nothing."

Can you give an example of where God actually created something out of nothing?
There is no problem, as Gen 1:1-2 tells us GOD created the heaven and the earth without giving details of what all that consisted of (air, rock, dirt, water, darkness etc. ???).
We just don't know how many elements were contained in those two entities (the heaven and the earth).

And we can certainly glean from other scriptures that GOD created darkness.
Isaiah 45:7 KJV
(7) I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.​

form
create
make

Three different Hebrew words used.
The same 3 words used in Genesis 1.

And let's not forget that GOD can turn darkness to light and light to darkness.
Eze 32:8
Amos 4:13

And not to mention that GOD (who is light) can dwell in darkness.
1 Kings 8:12

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
There is no problem, as Gen 1:1-2 tells us GOD created the heaven and the earth without giving details of what all that consisted of (air, rock, dirt, water, darkness etc. ???).
We just don't know how many elements were contained in those two entities (the heaven and the earth).

(7) I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.​

form
create
make

1 kings 8:12

you're too quick! :sibbie:

i was searching for the Isaiah quote

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
My friend and I are having a debate on the statement: God created Everything.

It is written that God created humans in his image and likeness. This means that humans, like God, can create.

God created atoms but men created bombs that use atoms.

:nuke:

Rivers

form
create
make

1 Kings 8:12

This explanation doesn't seem to work either. Even if Genesis 1:1 is taken to mean "God created everything", the details given in the following account show that God didn't say "let there be light"(Genesis 1:3) until after there was "darkness and deep waters covering the earth" (Genesis 1:2). What was made on Day One came from what was already happening with the darkness and the deep waters.

Your reference to the "three Hebrew words" also doesn't help because "light and darkness" were not separated until Genesis 1:3. Thus, those passages about "light and darkness" would not account for Genesis 1:2.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Good post Tam.

ttruscott

No HE did not.

HE did not create the results of our true free will decisions and choices. He allowed us to create them from and for ourselves. Therefore HE did not know what they would be until we created them. Acts 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No HE did not.

HE did not create the results of our true free will decisions and choices. He allowed us to create them from and for ourselves. Therefore HE did not know what they would be until we created them. Acts 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

God has foreknowledge of all things.

ttruscott

IF GOD foreknew before their creation who would go to hell but went ahead and created them anyway, then HE is a monster.
GOD is love, not a monster.
Therefore HE did not know before their creation where anyone would end, heaven or hell, and if your theology doesn't reconcile HIS love with HIS being all knowing as per Acts 15:18, it will burn...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God made every thing. We can reshape things, but we don't make anything.

Patrick Cronin

Come on! There is a difference between 'creating' and 'making'. Only God CREATES because that means bringing something into existence OUT OF NOTHING. (That is without using any pre-existing material).
When humans 'make' things such as playboy magazine,they use materials which already exist. When humans make sinful things they disobey God's will and use their freedom to oppose God. So God cannot be said to have created evil.

themuzicman

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.