ECT The 4 major Christian baptisms

turbosixx

Today there is just "one baptism" (Eph.4:4) and the "one baptism" is the one performed by the Holy Spirit (1 Cor.12:13).

When water baptism was in order its purpose was to prepare the way for the Lord Jesus:

"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight" (Mt.3:1-3).​

The people were to repent of their past way of living so that they could serve the Lord Jesus "in holiness and righteousness " (Lk.1:75).

So when a person submitted to the rite of water baptism they were pledging to change their past way of living so that they could serve the Lord Jesus in holiness and righteousness in the earthly kingdom. But due to the unbelief of Israel the earthly kingdom has been postponed and it will not appear until the Lord Jesus returns to the earth, as witnessed by the words of the Lord Jesus here:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand" (Lk.21:27-31).​

When the kingdom was postponed then the rite of water baptism was phased out since that rite was to prepare a people to serve the Lord Jesus in the kingdom.

All these verses are before the cross. What does the bible tell us about water baptism after the cross?

turbosixx

When a believer is baptized into the Body of Christ he receives life. And it is the Spirit which gives life, as witnessed by these words of the Lord Jesus:

"It is the spirit that giveth life; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).​

How could the Lord Jesus say that His "words" are Spirit and they are life?:

Because the gospel comes in the power of the Holy Spirit:

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance" (1 Thess.1:5).​

And once again,we see that the baptism into the Body of Christ is "BY" the One Spirit:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

You need to learn to compare Spiritual things with Spiritual (1 Cor.2:13) and when you do that then it is evident that the Holy Spirit gives Spiritual life. It is impossible that "water" can give Spiritual life to anyone.

I agree, the gospel is the words of life and the Spirit gives life. My point is you have one verse that says by one Spirit we are baptized into one body. You see this as the Spirit being the baptizer and I see it as the Spirit adding us to the body when we are water baptized "in the name of Jesus". I suggest we see if we can find other scriptures that support our understanding.

Here is my first one.

Acts 2:38 And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

They heard the words of life, believed them, were baptized and received the Holy Spirit that gives life.

DAN P

I agree, the gospel is the words of life and the Spirit gives life. My point is you have one verse that says by one Spirit we are baptized into one body. You see this as the Spirit being the baptizer and I see it as the Spirit adding us to the body when we are water baptized "in the name of Jesus". I suggest we see if we can find other scriptures that support our understanding.

Here is my first one.

Acts 2:38 And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

They heard the words of life, believed them, were baptized and received the Holy Spirit that gives life.

Hi and Jerry mentioned 1 Cor 12:13 !!

Here is another in GAL 3:27 Baptizo into Jesus Christ !!

Here is another one in Col 2:11 and 12 and it's parallel , Rom 6:4 , and Eph 4:5 and NONE of these BAPTIZO have NOTHING to do with WATER !!

Get your facts straight !!

dan p

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I realize it's a rhetorical question, but there's actually an answer, which ties into this thread:

When one is adopted by new parents, the connection to the old parents is severed.

The Mosaic Christians were adopted by the Father, the NT Christians are begotten to be born of the Father.

Right Divider

Body part
Is that because Jesus who bought the church was not immersed?
:kookoo:
jamie loves her rabbit trails, her rabbit trails, her rabbit trails
jamie loves her rabbit trails, all day long

Sing it with me!

jamie loves her rabbit trails, her rabbit trails, her rabbit trails
jamie loves her rabbit trails, all day long
repeat 20 times

:Wamba:

Jerry Shugart

Here is my first one.

First of all, when they were baptized with water they received a gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit. And that "gift" was the ability to speak in tongues:

"...no one can say, 'Jesus is Lord,' except by the Holy Spirit. There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines"
(1 Cor.12:3-4, 8-11).​

Those who submitted to the rite of water baptism on the day of Pentecost received a gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit--the ability to speak in tongues.

The Scriptures will be searched in vain for any passage which speaks of the third Person of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit, being referred to as a "gift."

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit"
(Acts 2:38).​

Before these Jews were baptized with water they had believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. And the moment when they believed they were saved (1 Jn.5:11; Jn.20:31) and had their sins forgiven:

"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins"
(Acts 10:43).​

The forgiveness of sins in regard to water baptism was not for salvation because those who were baptized with water were already saved. Instead, it was for "fellowship." It was a "type" and we can see the "antitype" here:

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:7-9).​

The forgiveness of sins at both Acts 2:38 and 1 John 1:9 are both for those who are already saved and both are in regard to confessing one's sins:

"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand...Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins" (Mt.3:1-2,5-6).​

Now let us look at this verse in more detail:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

Here the Greek word translated "by" means through the agency or instrumentality of. With this in mind we can understand that the One Spirit is the instrument or agent for doing the baptism into the Body of Christ.

Right Divider

Body part
A really poor answer to a simple question. You're out of your league aren't you?
No. The fact of the matter is that you ask silly and leading questions because you are so tremendously confused that you cannot make any sense.

• Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision to confirm the promises made to the fathers (Romans 15:8)
  • THAT people (Israel) had many baptisms as part of their law (Hebrews 6:2)
  • The body of Christ is ONE NEW MAN (Ephesians 2:15)
  • WE are not under the law (Romans 6:14)
  • WE are no longer to know Christ after the flesh (2 Corinthians 5:16)
  • WE know the RISEN and ASCENDED LORD Jesus Christ that gave Paul his commission (Titus 1:3)
  • WE have ONE baptism and there's not a drop of water in it (1 Corinthians 12:13)
  • You understand NONE of these things.

Jerry Shugart

All these verses are before the cross. What does the bible tell us about water baptism after the cross?

There were some modifications to the baptism of repentance after the Cross but the purpose remained the same. It was still to prepare the people to serve the Lord Jesus in the earthly kingdom. On the Cross the Lord asked the Father to forgive what the Jews did to Him when they called for His death and here we can see Peter telling the nation of Israel that if she repented then the Father would send back the Son:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).​

The nation did not repent so it became obvious that the Lord Jesus was not going to be sent back anytime soon. So water baptism, whose purpose was to prepare the people so that they could serve the Lord Jesus in the kingdom, was no longer needed.

turbosixx

First of all, when they were baptized with water they received a gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit. And that "gift" was the ability to speak in tongues:

Those who submitted to the rite of water baptism on the day of Pentecost received a gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit--the ability to speak in tongues.
I see no evidence to support your claim they received tongues in the passage. If we continue reading the passage, we see what the fulfillment of 2:38. They believed the gospel, they were baptized and were added.

2:41 They then that received his word were baptized: and there were added unto them in that day about three thousand souls.

WHO added these people that were water baptized?

Now let us look at this verse in more detail:
"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).

Here the Greek word translated "by" means through the agency or instrumentality of. With this in mind we can understand that the One Spirit is the instrument or agent for doing the baptism into the Body of Christ.

I agree, when they were water baptized they were added BY the Holy Spirit. Man doesn't add people to the church.

Where these Corinthian brethren water baptized?

I asked for another verse to support your claim but you didn't. In the verse I provided, we clearly see those who were water baptized were added (by the Holy Spirit) to the church supporting my understanding of 12:13.

Do you have another verse that supports your claim the Holy Spirit is the baptizer supporting your understanding of 12:13?

turbosixx

There were some modifications to the baptism of repentance after the Cross but the purpose remained the same. It was still to prepare the people to serve the Lord Jesus in the earthly kingdom. On the Cross the Lord asked the Father to forgive what the Jews did to Him when they called for His death and here we can see Peter telling the nation of Israel that if she repented then the Father would send back the Son:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, that the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you" (Acts 3:19-20).​

The nation did not repent so it became obvious that the Lord Jesus was not going to be sent back anytime soon. So water baptism, whose purpose was to prepare the people so that they could serve the Lord Jesus in the kingdom, was no longer needed.

Could you provide verses about baptism after the cross that support your understanding that it's purpose is the same?

Jerry Shugart

I agree, when they were water baptized they were added BY the Holy Spirit. Man doesn't add people to the church.

The words of Paul here make it plain that it is the One Spirit Who baptizes believers into the Body of Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body
, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit"
(1 Cor.12:13).​

This verse states in no uncertain terms that "we are all baptized into one body" BY One Spirit.

And of course once the One Spirit baptizes a person to the Body of Christ they are added to that Church.

But you say that we are not baptized into the Body BY the Holy Spirit.

I see no evidence to support your claim they received tongues in the passage.

In order to find the truth let us look at the following passage where the same phrase "gift of the Holy Spirit" is used:

"While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God"
(Acts 10:44-46).​

The Holy Spirit fell on Cornelius and his household and those who had accompanied Peter were astonished that "the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on Gentiles." How did they know that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on Cornelius and his household?

They knew that they had received the "gift Holy Spirit" because "they heard them speak with tongues." Let us look at these verses again:

"...the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God."

Here the word "for" is translated from the Greek word gar, and the meaning of that word as used here is "it addresses the Cause or gives the Reason of a preceding statement or opinion" (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon).

The reason that those with Peter knew that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out was because they heard them speak with tongues. So we can understand that the "gift of the Holy Spirit" is the ability to speak in tongues.

Could you provide verses about baptism after the cross that support your understanding that it's purpose is the same?

The baptism before the Cross was a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins and the baptism after the Cross was the same:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit"
(Acts 2:38).​

Last edited: