ECT Why preterism can never be taken seriously by Bible believers

Wick Stick

You are in denial. Tellalie taught us that-we learned that from him.
1091e0a0-8d61-4df7-9db9-f76da77a772a_text.gif

Translated:"Thus saith the LORD, and "It is written," only applies, if it agrees with my doctrine, and the LORD God, who created the universe, warms the heart of a mother, from the smile of her "little one," and raises the dead, cannot, and did not, convey his "is given by inspiration" scripture, in any other way, except by where it is written, "God said...", which means that most of the "volume of the book" does not apply.
A lot of the book DOESN'T apply, at least not in a literal, this-is-what-the-author-meant sense. Frankly, it's not that the Bible is inspired, so much as it is inspiration, itself. God is conveying His truth to us, largely using the verses therein.

I have not limited the Almighty, nor stripped the Bible of its power. But you may have, if it so be that you are one of those who does not believe that God still speaks through it, or even one of those who does not believe that God still speaks, period. What say you?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Please repeat that, Craigie? Please.

Now, as STP pointed out...

"Zechariah 14 KJV
1 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.

6 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark:

7 But it shall be one day which shall be known to the Lord, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.

8 And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.

9 And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one.

10 All the land shall be turned as a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem: and it shall be lifted up, and inhabited in her place, from Benjamin's gate unto the place of the first gate, unto the corner gate, and from the tower of Hananeel unto the king's winepresses.

11 And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.

12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

13 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the Lord shall be among them; and they shall lay hold every one on the hand of his neighbour, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbour.

14 And Judah also shall fight at Jerusalem; and the wealth of all the heathen round about shall be gathered together, gold, and silver, and apparel, in great abundance.

15 And so shall be the plague of the horse, of the mule, of the camel, and of the ***, and of all the beasts that shall be in these tents, as this plague.

16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.

18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the Lord will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

20 In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, Holiness Unto The Lord; and the pots in the Lord's house shall be like the bowls before the altar.

21 Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the Lord of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the Lord of hosts. "-Mayor STP

When, and how, was this fulfilled-specific details, punkie boy.

That's pockiclyptic language, meant to be interpreted as anyone wants to imagine.

john w

Hall of Fame

Frankly, it's not that the Bible is inspired, so much as it is inspiration, itself. God is conveying His truth to us, largely using the verses therein.

1. Never trust anyone, that qualifies his/her statement, with, "Frankly...Can I be honest with you?...Let's be honest/frank....."

2. Translated: Clueless, as to the doctrine of inspiration, as the following disjointed, mumbo jumbo, was posted under the "inspiration" of "Boone's Farm," and/or haseesh:

it's not that the Bible is inspire, so much as it is inspiration, itself. God is conveying His truth to us, largely using the verses therein.

Party on, Garthstick....

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Hissss Servant - your kind cannot but continually prove what makes you your kind - arguments considered from one side of what is often more than one.

Fact is that the words on your above fool sign are only a half truth.

For harsh words are often the last resort of one impatient with a moron.

In your kind's case - books based morons.

Good point!

Wick Stick

1. Never trust anyone, that qualifies his/her statement, with, "Frankly...Can I be honest with you?...Let's be honest/frank....."

2. Translated: Clueless, as to the doctrine of inspiration, as the following disjointed, mumbo jumbo, was posted under the "inspiration" of "Boone's Farm," and/or haseesh:

it's not that the Bible is inspire, so much as it is inspiration, itself. God is conveying His truth to us, largely using the verses therein.

Party on, Garthstick....
1. I use 'frankly' very often. I sometimes get caught up in details, and 'frankly' helps me get to the point. I guess you won't be able to trust me.

2. I had to look up what 'Boone's Farm' was... lol. I understand several theories/doctrines of inspiration. I just don't agree with them.

Partying on... dude.

john w

Hall of Fame
1. I use 'frankly' very often. I sometimes get caught up in details, and 'frankly' helps me get to the point. I guess you won't be able to trust me.

2. I had to look up what 'Boone's Farm' was... lol. I understand several theories/doctrines of inspiration. I just don't agree with them.

Partying on... dude.

All scripture is(not "was") given by inspiration....

Start here...survey Job 32:8 KJV But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

musterion

The gospel is that God is reconciling man to Himself, by means of His incarnation, life, word, example, death, resurrection, in the person of Jesus Christ, and by his uniting all believers unto Himself, in the same person.

Believe unto the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved.

The convicted unbeliever is to believe what, exactly?

Interplanner

Wick,
The Gospel is a completed act. It generates some of the things on your list, but it is necessary to distinguish between what is historically complete and what is an effect or by-product of those completed things. When 2 Cor 5 says God was in Christ reconciling the world, it does mean the debt of sin, as the context indicates. And things like 'if one died for all, then all were (ie must have been) dead.' Ie, the debt of sin was so great that the one death of Christ as part of the godhead was necessary. That's the account that needed credit applied to balance.

One of the great by-products is the fellowship of so many kinds of people because the above accomplishment is trans-cultural.

iamaberean

Preterism is a system of Bible interpretation with two main forks. One fork teaches that some or most Bible prophecy - including prophecies regarding the return of Christ - have been fulfilled. The other says all Bible prophecy has been fulfilled. This is the main identifying feature of preterism. As far as Bible believers are concerned, it should also be seen as preterism's fatal weakness.
Prophecy is so hard for people to understand. The biggest obstacle is when will Jesus return. A preterist(a person who maintains that the prophecies in the Apocalypse have already been fulfilled) believes that Jesus returned in 70 AD. There is no such thing as a partial preterist for that would be a oxymoron (a figure of speech in which contradictory terms appear in conjunction).

Other people, the majority, can't figure out if Jesus is going to return at pretrib, midtrib, or postrib. Talk about confusion, This takes the cake.

SaulToPaul 2

Prophecy is so hard for people to understand. The biggest obstacle is when will Jesus return. A preterist(a person who maintains that the prophecies in the Apocalypse have already been fulfilled) believes that Jesus returned in 70 AD. There is no such thing as a partial preterist for that would be a oxymoron (a figure of speech in which contradictory terms appear in conjunction).

Other people, the majority, can't figure out if Jesus is going to return at pretrib, midtrib, or postrib. Talk about confusion, This takes the cake.

There is no confusion. He will "return" post trib.
The rapture is not a return, but an appearing and catching up.

musterion

The confusion stems from confusing Israel with the Body of Christ.

The Body is not appointed to wrath, period.

Israel, conversely, will one day be saved through wrath.

Different tracks in the big program of God.

It's really that simple.

Interplanner

There is no confusion. He will "return" post trib.
The rapture is not a return, but an appearing and catching up.

Iamb's definition is not complete enough. It has completely missed the identity of the upheaval. That was the cataclysm that occurred in Israel 66-70.

His definition has also missed the handling of Mt24:29. Before it the material is about 1st century Judea, after it is about the whole world. The original plan was for the the judgement of the whole world "right after" that of Israel. But a delay was allowed and has been in place since. Which is why 2 Peter 3 exists.

It is very odd to fix so many beliefs upon an item mentioned a couple times in the earliest letters about events that were going to happen in Judea (the "rapture"). The rest of the "research" about this thing is second-guessing and reading between the lines of various other passages. sorry, but that is not how NT theology works.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
It is very odd to fix so many beliefs upon an item mentioned a couple times in the earliest letters about events that were going to happen in Judea (the "rapture"). The rest of the "research" about this thing is second-guessing and reading between the lines of various other passages. sorry, but that is not how NT theology works.

So...contrary to Paul's admonition, you say that believers are not to comfort one another with his words?

1Th 4:18

Interplanner

The question was what happens to those who have died. He is merely saying the obvious: that those who are still alive and those who have died will get to Christ different ways. He was not trying to construct a doctrine that is more important to some of these people than the Resurrection!

Please notice in the same passage that the 2nd coming in judgment is extremely near at hand. Paul especially does not seem to think there would be a delay after the destruction of Israel.

The things he is talking about happening over in the temple are just about to happen; they were part of the scenario of Dan 8-9, where the 'rebellion that desolates' is the key phrase.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Something I've been wondering about. What specifically are preterists looking forward to? What is the hope of preterism? Serious question.

A few things.

First off, knowing our citizenship is in heaven, that we are ambassadors here on planet earth, and that when we physically die, we will instantly be in the kingdom with a glorified body.

While here on earth, we are instructed to be a light to the world, and to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Unlike you, who is always worried about some sort of Apocalyptic event, wars, and whether or not the right politician gets elected.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The confusion stems from confusing Israel with the Body of Christ.

The Body is not appointed to wrath, period.

Israel, conversely, will one day be saved through wrath.

Different tracks in the big program of God.

It's really that simple.

Nothing but false Dispensational propaganda invented by John Nelson Darby.

No one taught this rubbish before Darby in 1830.