ECT Fall 2015 Ligonier Conference Q&A Sessions

Cruciform

I am careful about the use of Church and church. the CC definition of and use of Church is incorrect.
...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. :yawn:

Roman Catholicism is but one church within a much larger Church established by Christ.
See above. Rather, the catholic Church is this.

There are many Protestant churches within the Church.
Rather, there are many Protestant sects within Christendom.

Your Church is exclusive...
...just as she has always been (e.g., Jn. 4:24; Ac. 5:1-11; Rom. 1:5; 1 Tim. 3:15).

...while while Christ's Church is inclusive.
Does Christ's Church, then, include those who knowingly deny and reject her central and defining teachings? :think:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Your curiosity sounds genuine....on the face of it, but I think there is another face AMR might want to examine. :chew:

i have nothing to hide as i always tell the truth. my opinion is also given whether wrong or right. but anything i say i would say directly to the person. please provide the text in question ! or go home :p

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. :yawn:
According to Christ. You don't seem to know Him very well.

See above. Rather, the catholic Church is this.
Yes, that is what the RCC likes to say about itself. It does not change the fact that it is but one sect in Christendom.

Rather, there are many Protestant sects within Christendom.
Which is fine. There were many churches during the time of the Apostles and there are many churches today.

...just as she has always been (e.g., Jn. 4:24; Ac. 5:1-11; Rom. 1:5; 1 Tim. 3:15).
Taking verses out of context does not support your point.

Does Christ's Church, then, include those who knowingly deny and reject her central and defining teachings? :think:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
There are two answers to this: Answer a where in Christ's church is viewed as the RCC, the answer is no. You can't be a member of the RCC in good standing with the RCC if you reject the RCC's doctrines and traditions.

Answer b is when Christ's Church is viewed as the body of believers that proclaim Jesus as their Lord and Savior and are saved by Him. If you do not believe in your heart and confess that He is Lord you cannot be part of His Church.

Cruciform

According to Christ.
...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your favored recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect.

Yes, that is what the RCC likes to say about itself.
Based upon what Divine Revelation says about it. Unless you have a demonstrable alternative to propose as that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D.---your chosen man-made non-Catholic sect, perhaps? No? Didn't think so.

It does not change the fact that it is but one sect in Christendom.
Already decisively answered---and categorically refuted---here. Don't even bother.

Which is fine. There were many churches during the time of the Apostles and there are many churches today.
Yes, there were many local churches (parishes) of the one historic Catholic Church, just as there are today (I attend one every week). The myriad recently-invented, man-made Protestant sects, however, are sadly not part of Christ's one historic Church, and so cannot rightly be considered local "churches."

Taking verses out of context does not support your point.
...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your favored recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. :yawn:

There are two answers to this: Answer a where in Christ's Church is viewed as the CC, the answer is no. You can't be a member of the CC in good standing with the CC if you reject the CC's doctrines and traditions.
Agreed.

Answer b is when Christ's Church is viewed as the body of believers that proclaim Jesus as their Lord and Savior and are saved by Him. If you do not believe in your heart and confess that He is Lord you cannot be part of His Church.
Your claim, then, is that "Christ's Church" (in this sense) simply HAS no central and defining doctrines, given that the myriad Protestant sects are in categorical disagreement concerning even what constitutes "Christianity's" central and defining teachings, correct?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+