ECT Fall 2015 Ligonier Conference Q&A Sessions

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Interesting Q & A sessions at the Fall 2015 Ligonier Conference (approximate times shown for the linked videos):

Particularly interesting questions show in boldface below.

Special session link:
http://www.ligonier.org/learn/confe...all-conference/special-questions-and-answers/

Message 5, Special Questions & Answers:

Representing nearly one hundred years of combined ministry experience, Drs. John MacArthur and R.C. Sproul continue to faithfully serve the cause of Christ. This session will allow attendees to join in on a conversation between two longtime friends and co-laborers in the gospel ministry.

Questions:

1. Dr. MacArthur, what are some of your early impressions of meeting Dr. Sproul? (00:19)

2. What do you see as the largest problem in the American church? (03:47)

3. Why are there so few Reformed and evangelical churches? (07:54)

4. What is the missing ingredient of preaching today? (11:55)

5. Dr. Sproul, why have you identified Christology as the pressing need for the church today? (14:16)

6. Is faith a gift or response? (22:46)

7. Our pastor sometimes asks the Holy Spirit to “fall on us.” Is this biblical? (26:10)

8. Should I fear the Lord? (28:56)

9. How do you evangelize someone who thinks they are saved yet don’t demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit—especially if they are family members? (32:16)

10. If you were to wind the clock back, what would you say to your younger self? (37:16)

Next session link:
http://www.ligonier.org/learn/confe...on-2015-fall-conference/questions-and-answers

Message 7, Questions and Answers:

A Questions and Answers session with Drs. Nathan Busenitz, Steven Lawson, John MacArthur, Stephen Nichols, and R.C. Sproul.

Questions:

1. What are some tips for showing mercy and grace when introducing the doctrines of grace into a church? (00:08)

2. Dr. Busenitz, can you comment on the pastoral preparation needed? (07:39)

3. Since God foreordains everything, did He ordain Satan and the fall? (09:03)

4. In regards to Romans 8:29, why is “foreknew” presented with predestination? (14:41)

5. Are we saved by Jesus’ life, death, or both? (19:10)

6. How can we explain the law and preach the gospel today? (21:10)

7. Dr. Sproul, can you explain the law and the gospel in the design of Saint Andrew’s architecture? (25:11)

8. Is there a minimum level of evidence to know you are saved? (28:05)

9. Can you identify a figure from church history that has impacted your ministry and theological formation? (33:45)

10. Since God is love and love does not seek its own, how do we reconcile that with God doing everything for His own pleasure? (41:06)

11. How should the church be preparing pastors to minister to the next generation? (45:02)

12. How should we take passages that seemingly show that God has changing emotions? (48:12)

13. What is the one statement you would leave on your tombstone? (52:03)

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
There IS no "American church." There is Christ's one historic Church, and there are scores of recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sects that often like to call themselves "churches."
Hmmm, there are seven churches mentioned in Revelations. Seems to me that Paul wrote letters to churches in Corinth, Rome, Galatia and Thessalonia among others. You keep syaing Christs one historic church, I think Igino Montoya said it best

im.jpg

Cruciform

Hmmm, there are seven churches mentioned in Revelations.
First, there is no document called RevelationS in the New Testament. Second, the "churches" you mentioned are local churches (parishes), not "THE church" to which the OP refers. Try again.

My statements therefore stand exactly as posted.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
First, there is no document called RevelationS in the New Testament. Second, the "churches" you mentioned are local churches (parishes), not "THE church" to which the OP refers. Try again.

My statements therefore stand exactly as posted.

Truly stunning reasoning. Truly. Pointing out a spelling error as your primary rebuttal is always so effective. Assuming that your own sect of Christianity would not see the American church add one of its local churches rather defeats your own argument. How your for gets better soon. That was a big shot it took.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Incorrect. Try again.

Incorrect. Try again.

Back to Post #6.

As you have twice failed to actually address my point about your sect of Christianity being made up of a number of local churches, I am forced to conclude that have you cannot acknowledge your error and move on. Is the Catholic Church made up of local diocese spread around the world or not?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There IS no "American church." There is Christ's one historic Church
The lowercase "church" is instructive here, as in speaking to the church militant, the visible vestiges of the Bride of Our Lord, The Church, that is, the invisible community of the saints.

But thanks for driving by and tossing a few hand grenades out the window in the process. :AMR:

AMR

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
So question no.2.
What do you see as being the largest problem facing the American church.

Question no.3. prolly takes no account of Pentecostal/charismatic fellowships

Cruciform

The lowercase "church" is instructive here, as in speaking to the church militant, the visible vestiges of the Bride of Our Lord, The Church, that is the invisible community of the saints.
Addressed here.

But thanks for driving by and tossing a few hand grenades out the window in the process.
Your preference for the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is noted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Lon

Addressed here.

Your preference for the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is noted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Er no. It was a simple correction, like with a pellet gun to a rabbit and you are using a shotgun that obliterates the rabbit altogether. As a "Catholic" you can simply replace the word "American" and come up with a significant contribution to the questions and intent of this thread.

As it sits, you are looking like the old senile Catholic coot sitting in a rocker using a shotgun for your answer to everything disgruntling: salesman, mailman, or Protestant.

2. "What do you see as the largest problem (need, to be addressed) in Catholic churches in the United States (and perhaps elsewhere as well)???"

Not all that hard, is it?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Interesting Q & A sessions at the Fall 2015 Ligonier Conference (approximate times shown for the linked videos):

Special session link:
http://www.ligonier.org/learn/confe...all-conference/special-questions-and-answers/

Message 5, Special Questions & Answers:

Representing nearly one hundred years of combined ministry experience, Drs. John MacArthur and R.C. Sproul continue to faithfully serve the cause of Christ. This session will allow attendees to join in on a conversation between two longtime friends and co-laborers in the gospel ministry.

Questions:

1. Dr. MacArthur, what are some of your early impressions of meeting Dr. Sproul? (00:19)

2. What do you see as the largest problem in the American church? (03:47)

The emphasis on money instead of on the riches of Christ. Rev.ch 3

3. Why are there so few Reformed and evangelical churches? (07:54)

4. What is the missing ingredient of preaching today? (11:55)

5. Dr. Sproul, why have you identified Christology as the pressing need for the church today? (14:16)

6. Is faith a gift or response? (22:46)

Some respond to the gift offer and others do not.7.
Our pastor sometimes asks the Holy Spirit to “fall on us.” Is this biblical? (26:10)

Yes

8. Should I fear the Lord? (28:56)

9. How do you evangelize someone who thinks they are saved yet don’t demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit—especially if they are family members? (32:16)

By example

10. If you were to wind the clock back, what would you say to your younger self? (37:16)

Next session link:
http://www.ligonier.org/learn/confe...on-2015-fall-conference/questions-and-answers

Message 7, Questions and Answers:

A Questions and Answers session with Drs. Nathan Busenitz, Steven Lawson, John MacArthur, Stephen Nichols, and R.C. Sproul.

Questions:

1. What are some tips for showing mercy and grace when introducing the doctrines of grace into a church? (00:08)

2. Dr. Busenitz, can you comment on the pastoral preparation needed? (07:39)

3. Since God foreordains everything, did He ordain Satan and the fall? (09:03)

4. In regards to Romans 8:29, why is “foreknew” presented with predestination? (14:41)

5. Are we saved by Jesus’ life, death, or both? (19:10)

6. How can we explain the law and preach the gospel today? (21:10)

Psalm 119. is the aim, not the problem.

7. Dr. Sproul, can you explain the law and the gospel in the design of Saint Andrew’s architecture? (25:11)

8. Is there a minimum level of evidence to know you are saved? (28:05)

9. Can you identify a figure from church history that has impacted your ministry and theological formation? (33:45)

10. Since God is love and love does not seek its own, how do we reconcile that with God doing everything for His own pleasure? (41:06)

A righteous parent does not love the children for their own selfish pleasure, but for the children.

11. How should the church be preparing pastors to minister to the next generation? (45:02)

Stop making clones out of them.

12. How should we take passages that seemingly show that God has changing emotions? (48:12)

Jdg 10:13 Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will deliver you no more.
Jdg 10:14 Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulation.
Jdg 10:15 And the children of Israel said unto the LORD, We have sinned: do thou unto us whatsoever seemeth good unto thee; deliver us only, we pray thee, this day.
Jdg 10:16 And they put away the strange gods from among them, and served the LORD: and his soul was grieved for the misery of Israel.

13. What is the one statement you would leave on your tombstone? (52:03)

I tried

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

the link probably has the locations and pertinent details and i have been curious about your endeavors. i think your signatures state that you are the founder of Reformed Theology Institute - is that an accredited type of school or training center ? can i work for you ? lol kiddin' there, but i am curious to learn more about it - link ?

glorydaz

the link probably has the locations and pertinent details and i have been curious about your endeavors. i think your signatures state that you are the founder of Reformed Theology Institute - is that an accredited type of school or training center ? can i work for you ? lol kiddin' there, but i am curious to learn more about it - link ?

Your curiosity sounds genuine....on the face of it, but I think there is another face AMR might want to examine. :chew:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Try again.

Of course. You need to take care not to equivocate between the terms "Church" and "church."
I am careful about the use of Church and church. the RCC definition of and use of Church is incorrect. Roman Catholicism is but one church within a much larger Church established by Christ. There are many Protestant churches within the Church. Your church is exclusive while while Christ's Church is inclusive.