ECT WHAT ACTS 2:28 REALLY MEANS !!

God's Truth

In my understanding, Jesus told the Jews they needed to be born again because they believed they were born into God's people. Jesus is fundamentally telling them their being born into (physical) Israel isn’t going to cut it, and they were trusting in that fact.

Luke 3:8 …And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.
That is where Jesus lets them know if they do not obey God, then they are NOT God's children.
To be added to Christ it's not physcial birth but spiritual that counts and we are spiritual Israel.
Gal. 3:29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

When we are saved, we are washed of our sins by the Holy Spirit, then the Holy Spirit lives in our heart! That is when we are born again of water and Spirit. That is when we are born again.

Please tell me you believe that.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
When we are washed of our sins and given the Holy Spirit, we at that time are born again. We have a new life without any sins. We are starting all over, born again.

Born again is mentioned in John 3:7. It states:
"Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be
born again." Matthew through John are
pertaining to the House of Israel, not to the
Gentiles. We are saved by God's Grace, through
our faith.

God's Truth

Born again is mentioned in John 3:7. It states: "Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." Matthew through John
are pertaining to the House of Israel, not to the Gentiles. We are saved by God's Grace, through our faith.

GM, please tell me you believe that we have our sins washed away and that we are given at that time the Holy Spirit!

turbosixx

When we are saved, we are washed of our sins by the Holy Spirit, then the Holy Spirit lives in our heart!

From scripture, at what point in Paul's conversion were his sins forgiven?

Acts 9:17 Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized,.........22:12 “A man named Ananias came to see me. He was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there. 13 He stood beside me and said, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight!’ And at that very moment I was able to see him.
14 “Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. 15 You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

God's Truth

From scripture, at what point in Paul's conversion were his sins forgiven?

Acts 9:17 Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized,.........22:12 “A man named Ananias came to see me. He was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there. 13 He stood beside me and said, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight!’ And at that very moment I was able to see him.
14 “Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. 15 You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

The Holy Spirit washes away our sins. THAT IS WHAT SCRIPTURES SAY.

Titus 3:5 He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

1 Corinthians 6:11 But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

turbosixx

The Holy Spirit washes away our sins. THAT IS WHAT SCRIPTURES SAY.

Titus 3:5 He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

1 Corinthians 6:11 But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Yes, but I would suggest to you that when we are baptized properly, that is when we are added to Christ, by the Holy Spirit, and are sealed. In Christ we recieved the forgiveness of sins through his blood.

Look at the order here.
Acts 2: 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Who were added to Christ, those who believed or those who believe d and were baptized.
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

After all Paul had seen, done and heard what was the last thing he was told to do that washed away his sins?
Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

God's Truth

Yes, but I would suggest to you that when we are baptized properly, that is when we are added to Christ, by the Holy Spirit, and are sealed. In Christ we recieved the forgiveness of sins through his blood.
Baptized properly! That is nowhere in the Bible.

I answered your question and I gave you scripture.

The Holy Spirit baptizes us and takes away our sins.

Look at the order here.
Acts 2: 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

That is because the people were hearing the true message that saves and immediately believed and repented and were water baptized!

It does not happen so much like that anymore.

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.[/I]

After all Paul had seen, done and heard what was the last thing he was told to do that washed away his sins?
Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

I gave you scripture! I gave you scripture that says the Holy Spirit washes us.

Of course, we still have to be water baptized, but that is not how we are washed clean.

turbosixx

Yes, you gave me scripture and I agree with those scriptures but it is not without water baptism. If you will notice they imply water.

Baptized properly! That is nowhere in the Bible.

These people believed and did not recieve the Holy Spirit. When Paul finds out, what does he question? What they were taught? Did they really believe? No, he questions if they were baptized properly. That is the ONLY thing he does. He baptizes them with the correct baptism.

Acts 19:2 He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." 3 And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" And they said, "Into John's baptism." 4 Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Being baptized in Jesus' name is what puts us in Christ.
Gal. 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Matt. 28:9 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Last edited:

God's Truth

Yes, you gave me scripture and I agree with those scriptures but it is not without water baptism. If you will notice they imply water.

Water does not wash away anything. The Holy Spirit washes away our sins.

We are to get water baptized, however.

These people believed and did not recieve the Holy Spirit. When Paul finds out, what does he question? What they were taught? Did they really believe? No, he questions if they were baptized properly. That is the ONLY thing he does. He baptizes them with the correct baptism.

Acts 19:2 He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." 3 And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" And they said, "Into John's baptism." 4 Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Paul is not questioning that. You need to read it more carefully.

They were baptized with John's baptism BEFORE the baptism of the Holy Spirit was given.

Being baptized in Jesus' name is what puts us in Christ.
Gal. 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Some people who were baptized in Jesus' name were ONLY baptized in Jesus' name and did NOT receive the Holy Spirit.

Do you know which scripture that is?

turbosixx

We are to get water baptized, however.
I agree, water does not wash away anything but dirt but we do not receive the spirit without it.

Paul is not questioning that.
Please explain how you see it. These people were taught accurately Jesus except baptism. Why would Paul question their baptism if it is not essential to receive the Spirit?

Acts 18:25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John.

Some people who were baptized in Jesus' name were ONLY baptized in Jesus' name and did NOT receive the Holy Spirit.

Do you know which scripture that is?

Yes, I know. I understand that passage to mean they didn't receive spiritual gifts. Spiritual gifts are given by the laying on of the apostles hands.
Acts 8:18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money
Rom. 1:11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong—

When they believed and were baptized they were added to Christ (by the Holy Spirit) and were sealed (ownership). If we need the apostles hands to receive the Spirit, how do we receive it today?

turbosixx

Maybe this will help you to see how I understand it.

2 Kings 5:1 Now Naaman was commander of the army of the king of Aram. He was a great man in the sight of his master and highly regarded, because through him the Lord had given victory to Aram. He was a valiant soldier, but he had leprosy.............9 So Naaman went with his horses and chariots and stopped at the door of Elisha’s house. 10 Elisha sent a messenger to say to him, “Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed.”……. 14 So he went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy.

Did the water cleanse him?

God's Truth

Maybe this will help you to see how I understand it.

2 Kings 5:1 Now Naaman was commander of the army of the king of Aram. He was a great man in the sight of his master and highly regarded, because through him the Lord had given victory to Aram. He was a valiant soldier, but he had leprosy.............9 So Naaman went with his horses and chariots and stopped at the door of Elisha’s house. 10 Elisha sent a messenger to say to him, “Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed.”……. 14 So he went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy.

Did the water cleanse him? Could he be cleansed without dipping seven times?

I know exactly how you see it and why, but you are still wrong.

God's Truth

When Jesus saves us, we are given the Holy Spirit who washes us clean and lives inside us, reconciles us to God.

God's Truth

I agree, water does not wash away anything but dirt but we do not receive the spirit without it.
You are not speaking the truth, for there is scripture where people received the Holy Spirit before water baptism, and there is scripture where people did NOT receive the Holy Spirit after a water baptism.

Do you need the scripture references?

Please explain how you see it. These people were taught accurately Jesus except baptism. Why would Paul question their baptism if it is not essential to receive the Spirit?

Because they were baptized with John's baptism and that was way before Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 18:25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John.

Yes, I know. I understand that passage to mean they didn't receive spiritual gifts. Spiritual gifts are given by the laying on of the apostles hands.
Acts 8:18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money
Rom. 1:11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong—

During the laying of the foundation, the believers were given gifts of the Holy Spirit. The foundation has been laid and we are not given gifts of the Holy Spirit as those did back then.

Just ask for scripture references if you do not recognize the scriptures I am speaking

When they believed and were baptized they were added to Christ (by the Holy Spirit) and were sealed (ownership). If we need the apostles hands to receive the Spirit, how do we receive it today?

We do not need the Apostles hands to receive the Holy Spirit today.

turbosixx

I know exactly how you see it and why, but you are still wrong.

I know I don't know everything but I'm trying. You haven't answered this question. If I understand you correctly, Paul shouldn't have sins before being baptized. He had been praying for three days, had hands layed on him, received his sight and yet what does Ananias say? 16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

What does the passage say he did to wash away his sins?

turbosixx

You are not speaking the truth, for there is scripture where people received the Holy Spirit before water baptism, and there is scripture where people did NOT receive the Holy Spirit after a water baptism.

Do you need the scripture references?

I know what your talking about, but I would suggest to you that each case is talking about the Spiritual gifts you mention while the foundation was being laid.

God's Truth

I know I don't know everything but I'm trying. You haven't answered this question. If I understand you correctly, Paul shouldn't have sins before being baptized. He had been praying for three days, had hands layed on him, received his sight and yet what does Ananias say? 16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

What does the passage say he did to wash away his sins?

Washing away your sins is symbolic and is done by water baptism.

Water baptism is symbolic of what should have already happened in our hearts.

Paul prayed and fasted, and no doubt those prayers were of Paul begging for forgiveness.

Paul still had to be water water baptized after being saved, just as Paul was expected to obey Jesus in all other ways after being saved.