ECT WHAT ACTS 2:28 REALLY MEANS !!

God's Truth

GT, said I differ in my understanding of what Mark 1 and Matthew 3 meaning by the phrase "confessing their sins."

It is you who then read what you read into my words.

I was not even talking about whether or not, or what sins I might, or might not confess, and all that.

I was not talking about that.

I asked you what your understanding is about what those passages were talking about as to the words "repent," and the word "confessing" and the word "sins."

Nothing more. Nothing less.

We should try not to read into people's words.

Just as trying not to read into people's words should also be our practice when studying Scripture.

My apologies for whatever any contribution on my part may have been to any misunderstanding my questions to you on this may have resulted in, in you, Rom. 14:23.

No matter what you chose to believe what God really meant, you can't get out of confessing and repenting of sins to be saved, and to stay saved.

Did God really say ___?

See Genesis 3:1.

Interplanner

There's no perfect way to do it, but the point was it was being done, responsively, spontaneously, to the grace of God in Christ. It's sort of like Paul about the fruit of the Spirit in Gal 5: 'about such things there are no laws.' ('peri de') Ie, you don't make laws about these things, they are fruit--or else they just are not there.

God's Truth

There's no perfect way to do it, but the point was it was being done, responsively, spontaneously, to the grace of God in Christ. It's sort of like Paul about the fruit of the Spirit in Gal 5: 'about such things there are no laws.' ('peri de') Ie, you don't make laws about these things, they are fruit--or else they just are not there.

We are to obey Jesus' teachings. Jesus taught the new law, the new guidelines, the new rules for the new covenant.

Interplanner

We are to obey Jesus' teachings. Jesus taught the new law, the new guidelines, the new rules for the new covenant.

And one of the main features of that new covenant is that the Law is written on hearts and you don't have to go around telling other (true) believers 'know the Lord' because they will!

"You don't make laws about these things." Gal 5.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The context is to the House of Israel , verse 36 know , this Jesus Whom you have CRUCIFIED !!

Peter's words Pierced through there hearts !!\\

Verse 38 reads , And Peter declared to them , CHANGE your mind and let each of you be BAPTIZED in the name of Jesus Christ for ( the ) forgiveness of Sins , and ye Shall Receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit !!

#1 , They were given the opportunity to Repent !!

#2 , Repent of the Crucifixion of Jesus !!

dan p

Well done, spot on correct. They were given a murder indictment.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus said, "Most assuredly I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God." (John 3:5 NKJV)

Born of water is born of the woman. Born of the Spirit is born of God, resurrected. Anything else?

Can one be born 3 times?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nico was born of water from His mothers womb many years before Christ told Nico that he must be born of water and of the Spirit.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Act 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Act 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Act 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Act 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water
, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

LA

God's Truth

And one of the main features of that new covenant is that the Law is written on hearts and you don't have to go around telling other (true) believers 'know the Lord' because they will!
We are to contend for the faith. I can give you many scriptures that tell us it is right to rebuke others so that they can be sound in the faith.

"You don't make laws about these things." Gal 5.

They are God's written Word and they are the the law.

God's Truth

Born of water is born of the woman. Born of the Spirit is born of God, resurrected. Anything else?

Can one be born 3 times?

Since water is symbolic for the Spirit, we should also consider that Jesus was speaking of the Spirit when he said we must be born of water. So then, does it make sense to say that Jesus said we must be born of Spirit and Spirit? No, it would not make sense. However, what does the Spirit do that we relate to with water? That would be cleansing…washing. So then, we must be born again by water would be about the washing away of our sins. Being born of the Spirit happens when we are saved, and that is when we are washed by the Spirit; and the, we live through the Spirit---that is to obey the Word of God.

To be born of water and Spirit means we must be cleansed of our sins and obey Jesus’ teachings.

turbosixx

Can one be born 3 times?

Help me to understand how you see this. If the water Jesus is referring to is of the womb, why did he say make disciples by baptizing them? Also, after Cornelius had been baptized with the Holy Spirit, Peter orders they be water baptized.

Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

It appears to me just as Jesus said; to enter we must receive water and the Spirit and we see other examples of just that.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Hi to all and there still must confusion as to what Acs 2:38 really means !! Many believe that it is water Baptism , when it is not and why they are to Repent , and believe it is for today .

It is not for the Body of Christ , period !!

The context is to the House of Israel , verse 36 know , this Jesus Whom you have CRUCIFIED !!

Peter's words Pierced through there hearts !!\\

Verse 38 reads , And Peter declared to them , CHANGE your mind and let each of you be BAPTIZED in the name of Jesus Christ for ( the ) forgiveness of Sins , and ye Shall Receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit !!

#1 , They were given the opportunity to Repent !!

#2 , Repent of the Crucifixion of Jesus !!

#3 This means when Peter used the verb " said " it was in the Greek IMPERFECT TENSE and that means they were given a the opportunity to repent during that ONLY ONCE and Never AGAIN >

#4 And the last of the fourth verb " ye shall receive , LAMBANO is in the FUTURE TENSE as Israel REFUSED to repent and be Healed !!

#5 , This means that the Future Tense that Israel will never be healed UNTIL the end of the Great Tribulation Matt 24:27-31 and Ezek 36:24-38 !!

#6 So for today Acts 2:38 and Pentecost are OVER until the time of the Gentiles be come oin , Rom 11:25 and then God will again deal with Israel !!

Water Baptism is Over !!

dan p

Good post

God's Truth

Being born of water and Spirit is about being born again.

When we are washed of our sins and given the Holy Spirit---we are born again!

Being born of water and Spirit means being washed of our sins and given the Holy Spirit.

God's Truth

When we are washed of our sins and given the Holy Spirit, we at that time are born again. We have a new life without any sins. We are starting all over, born again.

turbosixx

Being born of water and Spirit is about being born again.

When we are washed of our sins and given the Holy Spirit---we are born again!

Being born of water and Spirit means being washed of our sins and given the Holy Spirit.

In my understanding, Jesus told the Jews they needed to be born again because they believed they were born into God's people. Jesus is fundamentally telling them their being born into (physical) Israel isn’t going to cut it, and they were trusting in that fact.

Luke 3:8 …And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.

To be added to Christ it's not our physcial but our spiritual birth that counts and we are spiritual Israel.
Gal. 3:29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.