ECT WHAT ACTS 2:28 REALLY MEANS !!

God's Truth

Hi and always when presenting your view it will help IF you present a verse also !!

Just to remind you , that the Greek word BAPTIZO / BAPTISM has many Transliterated meaning , like " washing , Idenification , baptizer , placing , just to mention a few !!

dan p

If you do not recognize the scripture that I speak then just ask for it.

You are a slanderer, for I give many scriptures on this site.

Paul was water baptized.

Acts 22:16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.'

How ignorant can you be? Do you really think that Paul would baptize people but not have been baptized himself?

turbosixx

I don't believe I have to be water baptized to be saved. A simple example would be Acts 10:43-47. Showing that those believers were given the holy spirit "just as we have" simply by hearing and believing (not by praying neither by being water baptized). It is then that they said "Who can keep them from being baptized with water?" SO, having said that read Ephesians 1:13-14. Having the holy spirit is a guarantee of the inheritance.

So in this case water baptism did not save them or had any part in it.

I would suggest to you that this is a special situation, the first Gentile converts, and we do not receive the Holy Spirit in this way. At this point the Jews were not aware of the mystery; that the Gentiles would be fellow heirs with them, Eph. 3:5-6. Peter never would have preached to Gentiles and certainly not baptized them without being convinced by God. God used Cornelius to prove to the Jews that the Gentiles should be included and he gives them irrefutable proof by giving them the Holy Spirit backing up the Peter’s vision.
Acts 10: 28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.

By this time, thousands have been converted but Peter says the HS fell on them “as on us at the beginning.”
Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
It stuck out to him because he hadn’t seen this happen except at the beginning. If you will notice, these are the only two places where the bible says people were “baptized with the Holy Spirit”, the apostles to kick off preaching the gospel and the first Gentile converts.

“baptism can’t save you”
“baptism now saves you”
One is a direct quote from the bible. Which one do you choose to believe?

turbosixx

Just to remind you , that the Greek word BAPTIZO / BAPTISM has many Transliterated meaning , like " washing , Idenification , baptizer , placing , just to mention a few !!

dan p

Where are you getting these other meanings. I'm only aware of this:

baptizó: to dip, sink
Original Word: βαπτίζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: baptizó
Phonetic Spelling: (bap-tid'-zo)
Short Definition: I dip, submerge, baptize
Definition: lit: I dip, submerge, but specifically of ceremonial dipping; I baptize.

turbosixx

Be careful baptism does not eclipse Christ's work.

By Christ’s work, I assume you mean his D,B &R. Baptism is very much an integral part of his work.

Baptism is how we die with Christ:
Rom. 6:3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

It’s how we are resurrected with Christ:
Rom. 6:5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.
1 Pt. 3: 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection

It’s how we are added to Christ, by being baptized in his name:
Acts 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit……41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

DAN P

Hi , so what does 1 Cor 12:13 where it says we are baptizo / placed INTO Christ ??

Does the Holy Spirit say " I baptize you in the name of Christ ??:bang:

dan p

turbosixx

Hi , so what does 1 Cor 12:13 where it says we are baptizo / placed INTO Christ ??

Does the Holy Spirit say " I baptize you in the name of Christ ??:bang:

dan p

Isn't Paul talking about water baptism in 1 Cor. 1 and 10? Why would he talk about water baptism in those two chapters and then in ch 12 take water out of baptism? This is how I understand it.

When we are water baptized, in the name of Christ, the Holy Spirit places us in Christ sealing us (ownership). The act of being submerged in water alone does nothing, but being baptized in Jesus' name does something.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:
and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Who added the souls that were baptized?

Last edited:

Interplanner

By Christ’s work, I assume you mean his D,B &R. Baptism is very much an integral part of his work.

Rom. 6:3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

Rom. 6:5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.
1 Pt. 3: 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection

It’s how we are added to Christ, by being baptized in his name:
Acts 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit……41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

No, it's not T6. You all are spending way too much time straining at a gnat to find the perfect way or time to get baptised. don't you realize that half the time it is meant as a metaphor, a picture: we are baptized into Christ is not referring when we did it, if we did, but to the vow and identification in Him?

It is really quite mistaken to say our baptism is integral to his sacrifice and resurrection. We weren't even there. Our decision to do so was not there, could not have been there; we can add nothing to what the NT calls the righteousness of Christ for us. Our baptism (decision to do it, the timing, the way, the practice) is not mentioned at all in the superlative Christologies of Col 2 or Phil 2.

But I don't think you can see this in all your debating about the perfect time or way of baptism.

So I return to my statement above. Don't let baptism displace the work of God in Christ for us.

turbosixx

It is really quite mistaken to say our baptism is integral to his sacrifice and resurrection. We weren't even there.

No we weren’t there but we can die with Christ through baptism. Jesus’ D,B and &R is the foundation of our salvation. How fitting that we die with Christ, are buried and raised to a new life through baptism.
Rom. 6:4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

"baptism can not save us"
"baptism now saves us"

One is a direct quote from scripture. Which one do you believe?

God's Truth

Water baptism is not how we die with Christ.

Baptism represents how a believer equates his life with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Our old person is to die and be buried with Jesus through baptism into death. We are buried with the water, and raised out of the water, raised to live a new life through Jesus.

Picture how baptism looks…the believer comes to make the pledge to God, to die to the sins of the world; so now standing in the water the believer falls back, as if dead; then, the believer goes under the water, buried; then, the believer rises up out of the water, raises up to live a new life.

Romans explain this perfectly.

Romans 6:4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

God resurrects us with Christ.

God does that when He gives us the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 2:6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,

There are people who received the Holy Spirit before a water baptism, and there are people who did NOT receive the Holy Spirit when they were water baptized.

turbosixx

Water baptism is not how we die with Christ.

Rom. 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death,.....5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, ......8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,

turbosixx

Ephesians 2:6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,

1 Pt. 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

God's Truth

Rom. 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death,.....5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, ......8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,

We have done that with our heart and mind, and then we do it as an illustration, a symbolic ceremony.

You have already been given scripture where people were saved and given the Holy Spirit before a water baptism.

You have also been given scripture about people who did NOT receive the Holy Spirit when they were water baptized.

Take a look at your reasoning, for you are making God's words as contradictory when you insist Jesus saves us at a water baptism.

God's Truth

1 Pt. 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

That scripture proves you wrong. Read again what it says. It says IT SAVES YOU BY THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST.

It does not say it saves you by washing your body in water.

turbosixx

We have done that with our heart and mind, and then we do it as an illustration, a symbolic ceremony.

You have already been given scripture where people were saved and given the Holy Spirit before a water baptism.

You have also been given scripture about people who did NOT receive the Holy Spirit when they were water baptized.

Take a look at your reasoning, for you are making God's words as contradictory when you insist Jesus saves us at a water baptism.

All I gave you was scripture, I only know what I read.

Look at your reasoning. You used a verse to prove resurrection,yes it that proves it, but doesn't say how.

I provided scriptures that tells us how we are resurrected with Christ.
21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

God's Truth

All I gave you was scripture, I only know what I read.

Look at your reasoning. You used a verse to prove resurrection,yes it that proves it, but doesn't say how.

I provided scriptures that tells us how we are resurrected with Christ.
21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

God resurrects us with Jesus Christ by His power.

We are reconciled to God when we are saved.

We are saved by Jesus when Jesus accepts us. See Acts 15:8.

turbosixx

That scripture proves you wrong. Read again what it says. It says IT SAVES YOU BY THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST.

It does not say it saves you by washing your body in water.

What is the IT thats saves you?

It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,