ECT Artistic license or licentiousness in Hollywood films? or is it something else?

oatmeal

In the movie "The Ten Commandments" with Charlton Heston as Moses, Moses come down from the mountain with the tablet of stone being carried in both his arms. That stone looks to be all that he could carry in his two arms, but what does scripture say?

Exodus 32:15

And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written.

Moses carried the two tables of stone in one hand and they had writing on both sides.

In the same movie, the Red Sea parts almost instanteously, yet in Exodus 14:21, scripture makes it clear that an east wind blew all night, thus the children of Israel passed through the Red Sea in the morning, seeing that the Egyptians pursued them in the morning watch. Exodus 14:24

The recent movie "Noah" with Russell Crowe is a laughing stock.

Hollywood's version includes "transformers" and "Darth Vader"

The book of Ruth on Netflix was interesting. I use the word interesting not as a compliment but as referring to a curiousity, like waiting in a line to check out groceries and seeing the magazine rack articles, "potato looks like Elvis"

I watched Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" for the first time last night and although Mel's movie shows the suffering of Jesus Christ more realistically, though not sufficiently accurate for a serious Bible student, at least he endeavored to show more accurately the events as best he could.

Some comments on Biblical accuracy in Hollywood?

Aimiel

I thought their rendition of the spirits that were bound in mal-formed rock were Scripturally accurate. Read your Bible. Putting them in Noah's work force was a bit silly. I guess the director found it hard to believe that Noah built a huge wooden ship over a period of one hundred years.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I thought their rendition of the spirits that were bound in mal-formed rock were Scripturally accurate. Read your Bible. Putting them in Noah's work force was a bit silly. I guess the director found it hard to believe that Noah built a huge wooden ship over a period of one hundred years.

a few good men can get ALOT done in ONE day, give us 100 X 365, that's a big ship. finished ! ! !

oatmeal

Do you have a scripture reference for

the spirits that were bound in mal-formed rock were Scripturally accurate.

A man that is faithful in little is faithful in much.

john w

Hall of Fame
Acts 7 KJV

22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds.

23 And when he was full forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren the children of Israel. 24 And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended him, and avenged him that was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian: 25 for he supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them: but they understood not. 26 And the next day he shewed himself unto them as they strove, and would have set them at one again, saying, Sirs, ye are brethren; why do ye wrong one to another? 27 But he that did his neighbour wrong thrust him away, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge over us? 28 Wilt thou kill me, as thou diddest the Egyptian yesterday? 29 Then fled Moses at this saying, and was a stranger in the land of Madian, where he begat two sons.

30 And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush.

Moses was 80+ years old, when He lead the children out of Egypt.

I ignore almost every "secular" account of a biblical topic.

oatmeal

I can look it up but 'rock' and 'spirit' might be all you need or 'angel'.

Well, if your satisfied it is in there, then maybe you could show me where.

As Biblical students, we ought to be able to show why we believe what we believe.

Either it is written or it is not.

oatmeal

Acts 7 KJV

22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds.

23 And when he was full forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren the children of Israel. 24 And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended him, and avenged him that was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian: 25 for he supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them: but they understood not. 26 And the next day he shewed himself unto them as they strove, and would have set them at one again, saying, Sirs, ye are brethren; why do ye wrong one to another? 27 But he that did his neighbour wrong thrust him away, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge over us? 28 Wilt thou kill me, as thou diddest the Egyptian yesterday? 29 Then fled Moses at this saying, and was a stranger in the land of Madian, where he begat two sons.

30 And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush.

Moses was 80+ years old, when He lead the children out of Egypt.

I ignore almost every "secular" account of a biblical topic.

That is a good point.

Those movies can be a good talking point for sharing Biblical accuracy to those who want more than just Hollywood

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Noah's Ark" starring Jon Voight and Mary Steenburgen, at the beginning stated they certain liberties with the Biblical account for story flow.

"The Bible" with John Huston who played the part of Noah, I'm sure took certain liberties too.

revpete

In the movie "The Ten Commandments" with Charlton Heston as Moses, Moses come down from the mountain with the tablet of stone being carried in both his arms. That stone looks to be all that he could carry in his two arms, but what does scripture say?

Exodus 32:15

And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written.

Moses carried the two tables of stone in one hand and they had writing on both sides.

In the same movie, the Red Sea parts almost instanteously, yet in Exodus 14:21, scripture makes it clear that an east wind blew all night, thus the children of Israel passed through the Red Sea in the morning, seeing that the Egyptians pursued them in the morning watch. Exodus 14:24

The recent movie "Noah" with Russell Crowe is a laughing stock.

Hollywood's version includes "transformers" and "Darth Vader"

The book of Ruth on Netflix was interesting. I use the word interesting not as a compliment but as referring to a curiousity, like waiting in a line to check out groceries and seeing the magazine rack articles, "potato looks like Elvis"

I watched Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" for the first time last night and although Mel's movie shows the suffering of Jesus Christ more realistically, though not sufficiently accurate for a serious Bible student, at least he endeavored to show more accurately the events as best he could.

Some comments on Biblical accuracy in Hollywood?

No point in seeing them really. What do you expect from a body that gives out statues as awards? How can you believe you that seek honour from one another and not the honour that comes from God alone? Jn 5:44.

Pete 👤

Aimiel

Well, if your satisfied it is in there, then maybe you could show me where.

As Biblical students, we ought to be able to show why we believe what we believe.

Either it is written or it is not.
My mistake: it was in The Book of Enoch, which I consider to be Holy Scripture, but most protestants don't.

Enoch 10:1-12
Then the Most High, the Great and Holy One spoke, and sent Arsayalalyur to the son of Lamech, saying, Say to him in my name, Conceal thyself. Then explain to him the consummation which is about to take place; for all the earth shall perish; the waters of a deluge shall come over the whole earth, and all things which are in it shall be destroyed. And now teach him how he may escape, and how his seed may remain in all the earth. Again the Lord said to Raphael, Bind Azazyel hand and foot; cast him into darkness; and opening the desert which is in Dudael, cast him in there. Throw upon him hurled and pointed stones, covering him with darkness; There shall he remain for ever; cover his face, that he may not see the light. And in the great day of judgment let him be cast into the fire. Restore the earth, which the angels have corrupted; and announce life to it, that I may revive it. All the sons of men shall not perish in consequence of every secret, by which the Watchers have destroyed, and which they have taught, their offspring. All the earth has been corrupted by the effects of the teaching of Azazyel. To him therefore ascribe the whole crime.

Many of Enoch's prophecies will be fulfilled in our lifetimes and protestants would not be harmed by reading The Book of Enoch.

Buzzword

"Noah's Ark" starring Jon Voight and Mary Steenburgen, at the beginning stated they certain liberties with the Biblical account for story flow.

This is 80-90% of the reason for changes being made.

The other 10% are the crazy changes like the Russel Crowe movie or shooting the whole thing in Aramaic, in which an attempt is made to create new interest in an old story.
Unsurprisingly, most result in failure.

Which is my own reason for avoiding most film adaptations of Bible stories:
I'm at the theater to see NEW stories.

Last edited:

oatmeal

"The Bible" with John Huston who played the part of Noah, I'm sure took certain liberties too.

I am not familiar with either.

If we took the same liberties with scripture, how could we stand approved before God? II Timothy 2:15

When we take scripture as God's word, we take it seriously.

oatmeal

No point in seeing them really. What do you expect from a body that gives out statues as awards? How can you believe you that seek honour from one another and not the honour that comes from God alone? Jn 5:44.

Pete ��

Well, I know what you mean, yet the optimist looks for the needle in the haystack that could be that piece of insight that makes scripture more real.

Had I not watched "The Ten Commandments" I might have not had a growing interest in knowing more.

Of course, that might just be optimistic speculation.

One of the reasons I enjoy this website is because it challenges me to find solid answers from scripture.

Yet, as many disagreements that I encounter, could we, should we dismiss this website as an internet Hollywood version of scripture?

oatmeal

My mistake: it was in The Book of Enoch, which I consider to be Holy Scripture, but most protestants don't.

Enoch 10:1-12
Then the Most High, the Great and Holy One spoke, and sent Arsayalalyur to the son of Lamech, saying, Say to him in my name, Conceal thyself. Then explain to him the consummation which is about to take place; for all the earth shall perish; the waters of a deluge shall come over the whole earth, and all things which are in it shall be destroyed. And now teach him how he may escape, and how his seed may remain in all the earth. Again the Lord said to Raphael, Bind Azazyel hand and foot; cast him into darkness; and opening the desert which is in Dudael, cast him in there. Throw upon him hurled and pointed stones, covering him with darkness; There shall he remain for ever; cover his face, that he may not see the light. And in the great day of judgment let him be cast into the fire. Restore the earth, which the angels have corrupted; and announce life to it, that I may revive it. All the sons of men shall not perish in consequence of every secret, by which the Watchers have destroyed, and which they have taught, their offspring. All the earth has been corrupted by the effects of the teaching of Azazyel. To him therefore ascribe the whole crime.

Many of Enoch's prophecies will be fulfilled in our lifetimes and protestants would not be harmed by reading The Book of Enoch.

Ah, thank you.