ECT Why was it necessary for God to test the faith of Abraham?

Cross Reference

+/- 13 years, God tested Abraham's faith, the final test being the command to sacrifice his son Isaac.

Why do you think God handled Abraham in such a way to prove him __ and over such a long period of time?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
great question

in that you would actually suggest that faith must be tested

abraham was chosen
he is one of the few
this from a passage often misquoted

I think abraham flunked the test
he should have tested the spirit

what spirit would ask us to kill our child?

Cross Reference

great question

in that you would actually suggest that faith must be tested

Was not the faith Jesus also tested? __ and He was indwelt by the Word of God.

abraham was chosen
he is one of the few
this from a passage often misquoted

I think abraham flunked the test
he should have tested the spirit

what spirit would ask us to kill our child?

One in whom I have abandoned my life.

God called Abraham His friend. Would it not be reasonable to believe the voice of a friend as God, would be discernable?

Cross Reference

does not compute

I couldn't ask a question like that

Let go your man-creed for a more complete understanding, why don't you?

Two issues involved when asking about the faith of both individuals that have a great bearing on denominational beliefs.

1. Jesus was God, so why the need to test Him?

2. Abraham was gifted faith so why the need to test him?

In either case there is a "supposed" absolute involved that has to be dealt with __ and can be, unless one worships an irrational denominational belief.

Word based mystic

genesis 22:12 He said, “Do not stretch out your hand against the lad, and do nothing to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.

sounds like a test to me..
for an ultimate end of (for now I know that you fear God)

It is also a point of The Word having limited his own foreknowledge in order to have true relationship with His children. Not robotic programming.

Cross Reference

genesis 22:12 He said, “Do not stretch out your hand against the lad, and do nothing to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.

sounds like a test to me..

Either with Abraham or Jesus, why would God have to test the faith He gifts to anyone unless to see if has taken root; to see if it is enough, maybe He needs to gift more?

Word based mystic

Either with Abraham or Jesus, why would God have to test the faith He gifts to anyone unless to see if has taken root; to see if it is enough, maybe He needs to gift more?

a portion of faith is all that is needed. even as small as a mustard seed.

ephesians 3:16-19 shows how to activate that faith and grow it.

by comprehending and growing/embracing Gods fullness of love
we become trustworthy to

(be able to be filled with all the fullness of God)

assessments of trustworthiness is throughout the OT. and NT.

If love is the motivating factor for what we do in Faith then we become trustworthy.

To be able to fulfill the more of Gods plans.

i.e. abraham becomes trustworthy to produce seed that will be as numerous than the stars.

Cross Reference

a portion of faith is all that is needed. even as small as a mustard seed.

Jesus was referring of the quality of His faith He wanted the Disciples to attain unto who Paul later said, He lived by. (Gal.2:20 KJV ONLY)

i.e. abraham becomes trustworthy to produce seed that will be as numerous than the stars.

The vast family of sons God for which God created Adam to produce for Him. In this was Abraham a type of Jesus by whose faith IN MAN it would be accomplished. Abraham, the father of all who believe in Christ. Christ Jesus, the "Everlasting Father" of all who attain the faith OF HIM. In this is Paul, our example.

Word based mystic

Jesus was referring of the quality of His faith He wanted the Disciples to attain unto who Paul later said, He lived by. (Gal.2:20 KJV ONLY)

The vast family of sons God for which God created Adam to produce for Him. In this was Abraham a type of Jesus by whose faith IN MAN it would be accomplished. Abraham, the father of all who believe in Christ. Christ Jesus, the Everlasting Father of all who attain the faith OF HIM. In this is Paul, our example.

that seems to give a more specific answer than mine..

thanks.
my earlier bible study this morning was on matthew 25:14-30. So I was in that (trustworthy) frame of rewards and tests thinking.

oatmeal

+/- 13 years, God tested Abraham's faith, the final test being the command to sacrifice his son Isaac.

Why do you think God handled Abraham in such a way to prove him __ and over such a long period of time?

Did God tell Abraham to kill Isaac?

Did God tell Abraham to collect wood?

Did God tell Abraham to use a knife?

What is a burnt offering?

I Corinthians 13:3

Judges 11:
And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the Lord, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,

31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

32 So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the Lord delivered them into his hands.

33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.

34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the Lord, and I cannot go back.

36 And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the Lord, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the Lord hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.

38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

40 That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

Custom was the she would serve in the temple devoted to doing God service the rest of her life.

She would never marry, thus Jeph would never have further progeny.

It was not God's will that Abe kill Isaac, but that Abe commit Isaac to God's service.

Abe's neighbors, Canaanites, regularly performed human sacrifice, is that where Abe could have erred in understanding God's commandment?

Cross Reference

that seems to give a more specific answer than mine..

thanks.
my earlier bible study this morning was on matthew 25:14-30. So I was in that (trustworthy) frame of rewards and tests thinking.

Glad you received something from that, Wbm.

The faithfulness of the Son of God IN US will produce for God His inheritance. Can it be any other type of intimacy that will reveal it? I don't think so.

God is NOT looking to receive to Himself a vast family of "just saved" children when the price He paid demands "sons" that our learning of allegiance to Him will produce__ but only by the Baptism of Jesus Christ can it be so.

Word based mystic

Glad you received something from that, Wbm.

The faithfulness of the Son of God IN US will produce for God His inheritance. Can it be any other type of intimacy that will reveal it? I don't think so.

God is NOT looking to receive to Himself a vast family of "just saved" children when the price He paid demands "sons" that our learning of allegiance to Him will produce__ but only by the Baptism of Jesus Christ can it be so.

God seems to only be satisfied With His own seed or Spirit within men. No other fleshly work based action or soulical attribute will God be satisfied with.

Only the Holy SPirit In us and Us in Christ.