ECT Where did we get the idea of the need for infant baptism?

Christian Liberty

The Catholic view is going to be totally different than anything I'm used to.

The Presbyterian view defends infant baptism on the grounds of a continuity between the old and new covenants, as well as several references to "households" being baptized. I would disagree because of Jeremiah 31:31-35 as well as the Biblical formulation being "repent and be baptized."

Cross Reference

The Catholic view is going to be totally different than anything I'm used to.

The Presbyterian view defends infant baptism on the grounds of a continuity between the old and new covenants, as well as several references to "households" being baptized. I would disagree because of Jeremiah 31:31-35 as well as the Biblical formulation being "repent and be baptized."

I want to and hope we can limit this discussion strictly to infant baptism.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Where did that thinking originate? Is it necessary? Is it a decree of God?

That's an excellent leading question. Thanks for asking it. It's a great occasion for someone to ask 'Are bicycles a decree of God?' No? So why are we riding them? They should be outlawed. In France they used not to eat potatoes because potatoes never occurred in the Bible. Potatoes aren't necessary so we shouldn't eat them. This is the same as your argument against infant baptism.

And listen everyone, haven't you worked out that this thread is limited to infant baptism? You are all off topic!
Well, except the few of you who are on topic. And even if you are on topic, you are not on topic unless xref says you are. Or at least doesn't say that you're not. Got it? And if you disagree with him, that probably means that you are off topic anyway. So, carry on and be good!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Where did we get the idea of the need for infant baptism?

from the same theologians who figured out how many angels could dance on the head of a needle

Cross Reference

That's an excellent leading question. Thanks for asking it. It's a great occasion for someone to ask 'Are bicycles a decree of God?' No? So why are we riding them? They should be outlawed. In France they used not to eat potatoes because potatoes never occurred in the Bible. Potatoes aren't necessary so we shouldn't eat them. This is the same as your argument against infant baptism.

And listen everyone, haven't you worked out that this thread is limited to infant baptism? You are all off topic!
Well, except the few of you who are on topic. And even if you are on topic, you are not on topic unless xref says you are. Or at least doesn't say that you're not. Got it? And if you disagree with him, that probably means that you are off topic anyway. So, carry on and be good!

Nonsense. It more probably means you haven't given it much, if any, thought and you are embarrassed you don't have enough knowledge to engage a civil discussion. . . . :duh:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Baptism is for the remission of sin. Infants don't sin so for them it is just a bath.