ECT Where did we get the idea of the need for infant baptism?

DAN P

Where did that thinking originate? Is it necessary? Is it a decree of God?

Hi and probably the same reason , MANY say we have to be BAPTIZED today and have co-opted what was committed to Israel , Like Acts 2:38 , where the verb . YOU WILL RECEIVE is in the FUTURE TENSE , which those who BAPTIZE will never explain !!

How about Acts 2:17 where the Greek tense WILL BE , is used 4 times all in the Greek FUTURE TENSE !!

WHY ??

dan p

Cross Reference

Hi and probably the same reason , MANY say we have to be BAPTIZED today and have co-opted what was committed to Israel , Like Acts 2:38 , where the verb . YOU WILL RECEIVE is in the FUTURE TENSE , which those who BAPTIZE will never explain !!

How about Acts 2:17 where the Greek tense WILL BE , is used 4 times all in the Greek FUTURE TENSE !!

WHY ??

dan p

Why?, because not all in the here and now will be but, in that day ALL will be.

DAN P

Why?, because not all in the here and now will be but, in that day ALL will be.

Hi and here is the real reason 2 Cor 3:13-16 , Isa 6:8-11 and Luke 13:6-9 , and there are many passages that explain why Israel was set aside and why Water Baptism and Tongues were also set aside !!

Like Acts 13:46 and Acts 18:6 and Acts 28:28 !!

dan p

Cross Reference

Hi and here is the real reason 2 Cor 3:13-16 , Isa 6:8-11 and Luke 13:6-9 , and there are many passages that explain why Israel was set aside and why Water Baptism and Tongues were also set aside !!

dan p

That's wonderful.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In simple summary, those that are not believers hate God with their every thought, word, and deed and deserve nothing but His righteous judgment. Even these persons acts of civil goodness, helping the old lady across the road, giving to charity, etc., are performed for the wrong motives.

That is a blatant lie of course.--

1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

God does not require we teach the ways of God to those who hate God with their every fiber of being.

He does require parents to teach their unconverted children the way of good.

Col 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
Col 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
Col 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:
Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Man, you claim I am no Christian. Is that what you think of all unconverted people?

Maybe you should hang a sign around your neck forewarning people of what you think of them.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

dan p

Maybe you have been set aside.

Paul was water baptized and baptized others.

Act 16:29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
Act 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Act 16:32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
Act 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Paul said concerning 1 Cor.ch 14.--

1Co 14:36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
1Co 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
1Co 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

LA

Cross Reference

That is a blatant lie of course.--

1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

God does not require we teach the ways of God to those who hate God with their every fiber of being.

He does require parents to teach their unconverted children the way of good.

Col 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
Col 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
Col 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:
Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Man, you claim I am no Christian. Is that what you think of all unconverted people?

Maybe you should hang a sign around your neck forewarning people of what you think of them.

LA

When AMR sold his soul to "Ligoniers" he wilfully gave up his right to think.

DAN P

Maybe you have been set aside.

Paul was water baptized and baptized others.

Act 16:29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
Act 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Act 16:32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
Act 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Paul said concerning 1 Cor.ch 14.--

1Co 14:36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
1Co 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
1Co 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

LA

Hi and you are right on , all in the Body of Christ , have all been set aside and BAPTIZO / PLACED into the BODY , 1 Cor 12:13 !!

Paul was not SENT to Baptize , BUT to preach the Gospel , and you believe it ?? 1 Cor 1:17 !!

dan p

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi and you are right on , all in the Body of Christ , have all been set aside and BAPTIZO / PLACED into the BODY , 1 Cor 12:13 !!

Paul was not SENT to Baptize , BUT to preach the Gospel , and you believe it ?? 1 Cor 1:17 !!

dan p

1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1Co 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
1Co 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
1Co 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Act 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

DAN P

1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1Co 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
1Co 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
1Co 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Act 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Hi and where does it say that Paul use WATER / HUDOR to baptize ??

I see that you AVOIDED to quote 1 Cor 1:17 !!

Good job ??

dan p

jsanford108

For all those claiming that there is no Scriptural evidence for Infant Baptism:
Is there Scriptural evidence of Adult only baptism?

First, we need to find common ground. What is baptism? Baptism is the freeing from sin and rebirth as sons of God; we become members of Christ and are incorporated into the Church. This can be found from the teachings of John the Baptist, Jesus, and the Apostles.

Now, what are some Scriptures relating to baptism. Acts 2:37-41, 10:24-48, 16:15-35, 1 Corinthians 7:14, Colossians 2:11&12, and 1 Peter 3:18-22, just to name a few (obviously there are more, including divine prophetic references in the Old Testament).

If I may, let us examine two specific verses; Acts 2:38 and Matthew 28:19-20.

In Acts 2:38, Peter says "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Let us immediately ponder if "every one of you" is intended to only mean "some." Did it mean "only men?" "Only adults?" Or "every one of you?" Now, I know the first rebuttal is that it says "repent and be baptized," yet everyone like to ignore that comma. Now, I am not saying that punctuation is doctrine defining by any means, but here, we see a break in command, "Repent, and be baptized," denoting that there could very likely be a change of direction in the command. I personally do not know if that is the case, but I just want to call attention to the punctuation, with that possibility in mind. However, the most important part of inclusion is the phrase "every one of you." Logically, this denotes every individual of every age.

More importantly, we see the defining purpose of baptism in this verse; "baptized...for the forgiveness of your sins." Notice there is no comma separating the act of baptism from this phrase. This logically points to the purpose of baptism being defined. We also see that baptism grants the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Now, for Matthew 28:19&20. The verse reads, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (I included verse 20, so that we can have the full context of the sentence; thus, negating any objections of "context") So, Christ commands the Apostles to "baptize," then adds on "teach." Immediately, we can see that before any teaching were to commence, they should first baptize the people. This verse thus stands as evidence against "believer's baptism," for the command calls for baptism before teaching/instruction. Thus, if teaching can come after baptism, then it stands to reason that infants can be baptized; for knowledge of obedience is not first necessary, according to Christ.

But, why take my word? Who better than the earliest Apostles, early Church leaders, and protegees of the Apostles. Here is a list of a few names (and dates of writings by said persons) who specifically taught the practice of infant baptism:
Polycarp (155 AD), an apostle of John
Ignatius of Antioch (35-107 AD)
Eusebius (96 AD)
Justin Martyr (100-165 AD)
Theophilus of Antioch (185-191 AD)
Irenaeus (130-200 AD)
Clement of Alexandria (150-215 AD)
Tertullian (160-225 AD)
Origen (185-254 AD)
Cyprian of Carthage (254 AD)
Athanasius (296-373 AD)

The list goes on. From this, we can see that the teaching of infant baptism was widely practiced, within the lifetime of the Apostles. Yet, not a single document exists that demonstrates acts of correction by the Apostles, or their disciples. Thus, logically, infant baptism was practiced, and taught by the Apostles.