ECT INFALLIBILITY OF THE POPE: Common Non-Catholic Misconceptions

Cruciform

The Catholic Church’s teaching on papal infallibility is one which is generally misunderstood by those outside the Church. In particular, Fundamentalists and other "Bible Christians" often confuse the charism [gift] of papal "infallibility" with "impeccability." They imagine Catholics believe the pope cannot sin. Others, who avoid this elementary blunder, think the pope relies on some sort of amulet or magical incantation when an infallible definition is due.

Given these common misapprehensions regarding the basic tenets of papal infallibility, it is necessary to explain exactly what infallibility is not. Infallibility is not the absence of sin. Nor is it a charism that belongs only to the pope. Indeed, infallibility also belongs to the body of bishops as a whole, when, in doctrinal unity with the pope, they solemnly teach a doctrine as true. We have this from Jesus himself, who promised the apostles and their successors the bishops, the magisterium of the Church: "He who hears you hears me" (Luke 10:16), and "Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven" (Matt. 18:18)...

Since Christ said the gates of hell would not prevail against his Church (Matt. 16:18b), this means that his Church can never pass out of existence. But if the Church ever apostasized by teaching heresy, then it would cease to exist; because it would cease to be Jesus’ Church. Thus the Church cannot teach heresy, meaning that anything it solemnly defines for the faithful to believe is true. This same reality is reflected in the Apostle Paul’s statement that the Church is "the pillar and foundation of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15). If the Church is the foundation of religious truth in this world, then it is God’s own spokesman. As Christ told his disciples: "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me" (Luke 10:16).

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/papal-infallibility

musterion

I've had non-Catholics say that very thing to me.

And I can count on two hands the number of Catholics who have made a very sharp distinction between "we Catholics" and, meaning me, "you Christians." Are you willing to be as honest as they are and admit we are NOT the same?

Cruciform

Don't need men if you have Christ.
Why, then, have you derived your assumptions and beliefs from the men who invented your chosen man-made non-Catholic sect (tradition)? And why, then, did Jesus Christ himself appoint men to guide and teach His one historic Church in his own name and by his very authority? In any case, your glaring False Dilemma Fallacy is noted.

Cruciform

And I can count on two hands the number of Catholics who have made a very sharp distinction between "we Catholics" and, meaning me, "you Christians." Are you willing to be as honest as they are and admit we are NOT the same?
"...the same" in what way, specifically?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
... your glaring False Dilemma Fallacy is noted.

i suspect that you once again don't know what you're talking about

False Dilemma

Description: When only two choices are presented yet more exist, or a spectrum of possible choices exists between two extremes. False dilemmas are usually characterized by “either this or that” language, but can also be characterized by omissions of choices. Another variety is the false trilemma, which is when three choices are presented when more exist.

Logical Form:

Either X or Y is true.

Either X, Y, or Z is true.

can you put musty's statement in that form?

john w

Hall of Fame
Thus the Church cannot teach heresy, meaning that anything it solemnly defines for the faithful to believe is true. This same reality is reflected in the Apostle Paul’s statement that the Church is "the pillar and foundation of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15). If the Church is the foundation of religious truth in this world, then it is God’s own spokesman. As Christ told his disciples: "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me" (Luke 10:16)........

The church, which is his body,respective, yes, fallible members of the body of Christ, not some "ecclesiastical hiearchy" of Roman Catholic clowns, wearing clown suits, hats..... is never said to be infallible-no scripture says that. You applied humanism to come to that conclusion.

The church is described as a "pillar," and what is the function of a "pillar?" Support. That is Paul's point, i.e., a pillar supports the already existing truth of "the scripture of truth." The body of Christ is never said to be the source of the truth, as the deceitful Roman Catholic Organization asserts.

I know, I know.....already answered here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here ..............................................................................................................................

Last edited:

Cruciform

i suspect that you once again don't know what you're talking about
Post your proof.

can you put musty's statement in that form?
His statement: "Don't need men if you have Christ."
  • EITHER men, OR Christ
  • Christ
  • Therefore, not men

Unfortunately for his assumptions, the biblical model is "BOTH Christ, AND men." Thus, his dilemma is decidedly and demonstrably false.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Bulverism.
Not at all, rather simply the manner in which human beings gather and retain knowledge. We all derive our information and beliefs from other human beings whom we encounter in various ways throughout our lives. You are certainly no exception to that fact. My statement stands exactly as posted.