ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Eastern Orthodox, Ethiopian, Anglican, and a nearly handful of others trace their apostolic authority back to the same time as Rome does.

they never recognized the pope
and
they are not doing so well
like something was prevailing against them

Heterodoxical

Peter’s Confession of Christ
13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 1

WHO DID HE ASK THE QUESTION TO?

4 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.” 15 He *said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”

STILL SPEAKING TO THE DISCIPLES.

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

HERE IS THE ROCK, THE KEY TO THE CHURCH.

17 And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

The man who answered was addressed. If you are speaking to a crowd, and ONE of the crowd answers you, you follow up to that one who spoke to you. That is normal, and what Jesus did.

When Jesus referenced THIS ROCK, it's to the answer to the question, that IS the rock the foundation of the church. He says UPON THIS ROCK and the conversation continues with the GROUP he was addressing. He just picked up where he left off before Peter answered.

19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.” 20 Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.

If you don't believe me, BELIEVE PETER!!!!

Act 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers and elders of the people,

Act 4:9 if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a sick man, as to how this man has been made well,

Act 4:10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by this name this man stands here before you in good health.

Act 4:11 “He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone.

Act 4:12 “And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.” (NASB)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
you forgot this one

John 1:42

New International Version (NIV)

42 And he brought him to Jesus.

Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter[a]).
Footnotes:

John 1:42 Cephas (Aramaic) and Peter (Greek) both mean rock.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Off to my 'introduction to the Catholic faith' evening at the Cathedral here in the sunny UK. Wonder*if*they will be as friendly as all of you on here have been?! God bless you...and please...try not to burn the house down while I'm gone for a couple of hours will ya?

I leave the thread for a couple of hours and come back to find you've stuck on another 4 pages of debate...fast moving thread this.

Well my evening was great. Amazingly kind, gentle, spiritual and dare I say it...wise people that I ever hsd the pleasure to meet. We watched Fr Brennan's DVD about the Catholic faith (somd of his vids are on youtube...very helpful for things like Marian doctrine and all that other stuff we all like to agree on on this forum :)

Wonderful group discussion too. Oh how my group laughed when I mentioned I was told that by joining the Catholic Church I would be joining the whore of babylon, the spawn of satan, the unchristian and dark underworld. An extra laugh all round when I told them I couldn't possibly attendany further clandestine meetings if their bishops continue to wear purple...the colour of the whore...oh and no gold cups please...could they please use a plastic one.

When I pointed out the fact that I was a protestant brought up in the troubles of Northern Ireland and brainwashed to HATE catholics by my family/school/church; when I pointed out I had also lived in a charasmatic protestant evangelical religious community as an adult and left all behind, including ALL of my friends...and being technically homeless for the last year because of this..so I could follow my path of trying to discover the true church I was met with...absolute warmth, compassion and a genuine love.

The time went quickly but we were invited into the Bishop's house for more tea (we like our tea in the UK lol) and further discussion. I really felt at home being amongst those brothers and sisters.

I mentioned I actually turned around one day and walked out of the reception area whilst listening to the mass through the door...I didn't have the bottle to go in in front of all of those people and not know what I was meant to do...cross myself etc etc? This cathedral has over 1000 people at mass over a Sunday, so I am sure you can see why this protestant was slightly uneasy about it. So, tomorrow I am having a one to one tour of the cathedral with a priest to put me at ease...and so I know which statues to worship :crackup:

What a large step this has been for me and I feel nothing but peace about it.

There is a meeting each week for the next 6 weeks and I will gladly keep you updated.

Are there any valid reasons why I shouldn't go again? We are afterall, brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus

Last edited:

Lon

Are there any valid reasons why I shouldn't go again? We are afterall, brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus
Ah, an insincere thread. Just trying out your Catholic Apologetics. That would have been a more apt thread title: "Just trying out my new-found Catholic Apologetics on Protestants."

It is really very hard to believe you wanted a thing from us.
This thread...ignore
I'm outty

DAN P

I have been Evangelical Protestant most of my life, even spending some time living in a fulltime religious community.

The more I researched the origin of the bible and the history of my faith, the more I discovered the Catholic Church.

I am taking steps towards joining the Catholic Church and my question is this....'Why shouldn't I?'

I am not asking because I doubt my journey, I am asking because I haven't come across a good enough reason NOT to join.

Each side, for and against may debate, I look forward to reading each side's responses.

So, why shouldn't I convert to the Catholic Church?

Hi , and the JUST shall live by Faith , Rom 1:17 !!

Or, will you live by :

#1 , Or live by Legalism !
#2 , Or lve by Purgatory !
#3 , Or live by Ceremonialism !
#4 , Or live by Traditionalism !
#5 , Or live by Indulgences !
#6 , And will always let them Interpret for you !
#7 , They can not explain EKKLESIA , can they ??

And you will never understand Eph 3:9 to make all see what is the FELLOWSHIP of the Mystery , so ask them , to explain it to you ??

I hope this was not a setup by Curuciform ??

dan p

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
I have been Evangelical Protestant most of my life, even spending some time living in a fulltime religious community.

The more I researched the origin of the bible and the history of my faith, the more I discovered the Catholic Church.

I am taking steps towards joining the Catholic Church and my question is this....'Why shouldn't I?'

I am not asking because I doubt my journey, I am asking because I haven't come across a good enough reason NOT to join.

Each side, for and against may debate, I look forward to reading each side's responses.

Just repeating my op seeing as some of you haven't read it properly.

DAN P

Hi , and everyone should convert , IF you want the RCC to do the following for you ?

#1 , They are the only ones who know what the biblr says !

#2 , Learn about Purgatory , , and not found in the bible !

#3 , Learn about CEREMONIALISM ?

$4 , Learn why Tranditionalism is MORE important than the bible !

#5 , You have to LEARN about Ritualism !

#6 ,You will learn about LEGALISM , good stuff here !

#7 , And you have to go and Learn about PURGATORY , especially . since the bible does not speak about it !!

#8 , You will have to change and make a PILGRIMAGE to Rome , but will have to Learn how to KNELL and Kiss the POPES ring , first !

#9 , There maybe some other ANICILLARY things , like become a Monk in a Monastary , and I will say that you are DOOMED , don't you see ??

dan p

Lon

Just repeating my op seeing as some of you haven't read it properly.
Oh no. I read it accurately. You are well beyond a 'reason not to.' Your OP assumed that you were hesitant or in need of advice but you are not at all.

I'll even go a step further and say it is impossible to sway you at this point. True, right?

Can I just leave now?