The Myth of an Effectual Calling

Jerry Shugart

R.C. Sproul writes that "Effectual calling is effectual because in it and by it God effects exactly what he intends in the operation: the quickening of spiritual dead souls to spiritual life. 'Calling' refers to the Holy Spirit's inward or secret operation on the soul...The call referred to in effectual calling is not the outward call of the gospel that can be heard by anyone within range of the preaching. The call referred to here is the 'inward call,' the call that penetrates to and pierces the heart, quicken it to spiritual life."

Sproul speaks of both an "inward" and "outward" call of the gospel and according to him it is only the "inward" which gives spiritual life to those who are spiritually dead.

Calvinist Jeremy A. Evans writes that "regeneration occurs before faith. The mechanism of God's saving work is the inner call to man, which is a special call to the elect that elicits the gift of faith and repentance. Sometimes this view is referred to as the effectual call, as opposed to the 'outer' or 'general' call unto everyone unto faith and repentance...The manner of God's activity in such a work (effectual call) is irresistible, hence often referred to as irresistible grace."

According to the Calvinists only some people receive the "inner call" of the gospel while others receive only the "outer call" which saves no one. With that in mind let us look at what Paul said about the "gospel of the grace of God":

"because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel, which has come to you, as it has also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth" (Col.1:5-6).​

In the following verse Paul is speaking about that gospel of the grace of God:

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men" (Titus 2:11).​

According to the Calvinists the gospel of grace which brings salvation did not appear to all people because some people received the "outward" call of the gospel which is not capable of saving anyone. But Paul makes it plain that the gospel of the grace of God which appeared to all people is capable of bringing salvation to "all" who hear it.

beloved57

R.C. Sproul writes that "Effectual calling is effectual because in it and by it God effects exactly what he intends in the operation: the quickening of spiritual dead souls to spiritual life. 'Calling' refers to the Holy Spirit's inward or secret operation on the soul...The call referred to in effectual calling is not the outward call of the gospel that can be heard by anyone within range of the preaching. The call referred to here is the 'inward call,' the call that penetrates to and pierces the heart, quicken it to spiritual life."

Sproul speaks of both an "inward" and "outward" call of the gospel and according to him it is only the "inward" which gives spiritual life to those who are spiritually dead.

Calvinist Jeremy A. Evans writes that "regeneration occurs before faith. The mechanism of God's saving work is the inner call to man, which is a special call to the elect that elicits the gift of faith and repentance. Sometimes this view is referred to as the effectual call, as opposed to the 'outer' or 'general' call unto everyone unto faith and repentance...The manner of God's activity in such a work (effectual call) is irresistible, hence often referred to as irresistible grace."

According to the Calvinists only some people receive the "inner call" of the gospel while others receive only the "outer call" which saves no one. With that in mind let us look at what Paul said about the "gospel of the grace of God":

"because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel, which has come to you, as it has also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth" (Col.1:5-6).​

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men" (Titus 2:11).​

According to the Calvinists the gospel of grace which brings salvation did not appear to all people because some people received the "outward" call of the gospel which is not capable of saving anyone. But Paul makes it plain that the gospel of the grace of God which appeared to all people is capable of bringing salvation to "all" who hear it.

Only they which are of God hears Gods words Jn 8:47

47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

To be of God simply means to be born of God, or His Spirit. Until then we cannot spiritually hear and understand the Word of God, which the Gospel is !

DAN P

Hi Jerry and I believe God appeared to all by at least TWO VERSES .

#1 It is in Psa 19:1-14 The HEAVENS DECLARE THE GLORY OF GOD and I happened to hear Chuck Missler on TV and also have a small book written by E W BULLINGER , called the THE WITNESS OF THE STARS .

#2 The other verse is in Rom 1:20 and backs up Psa 1 .

#3 Rom 1:21 having known God , it reads HAVING KNOWN GOD , verse 24 God gave them up in the desires of their hearts to UINCLEANESS !

So God did appear to all !!

dan p

Bradley D

I believe one can have different spiritual experiences. Some quickly. Some learned over a period of time.

beloved57

The Myth of an Effectual Calling

Its no myth, its the truth of Gods Word. Jesus effectually calls His Sheep to Him Jn 10:2-4

2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

DAN P

Its no myth, its the truth of Gods Word. Jesus effectually calls His Sheep to Him Jn 10:2-4

2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

Hi and who is the PORTER or GATE KEEPER in verse 3 and why in Rev 3:20 does Jesus have to knock , before Jesus can enter ?

Where does IT say that he B O C has a DOOR ?

Do you mean that PETER is at the GATE ?

Please give a verse , please ?

dan p

beloved57

Hi and who is the PORTER or GATE KEEPER in verse 3 and why in Rev 3:20 does Jesus have to knock , before Jesus can enter ?

Where does IT say that he B O C has a DOOR ?

Do you mean that PETER is at the GATE ?

Please give a verse , please ?

dan p

You and these off the wall questions !

The Lord Jesus calleth [kaleo] His own Sheep by name and leadeth them out. That word leadeth exagō means:

to lead forth:—bring forth (out), fetch (lead) out.to move, impel: of forces and influences on the mind

This is the effectual call of Christs elect or sheep !

Bradley D

The Lord called me and saved me from an alcoholic death one night in my navy barracks room. I was a sinner and God gave me a chance. I got sober. I retired from the Navy. I went home and helped my Dad with my Mom who had Alzhiemers. I married my wife (mother of my daughter) who had been hurt at work and could not work. I took her home to the Philippines in 2006. My dear wife passed away in 2019. I am now living with my daughter and helping pay the bills during these tough times. I feel that God had a mission for me.

DAN P

You and these off the wall questions !

The Lord Jesus calleth [kaleo] His own Sheep by name and leadeth them out. That word leadeth exagō means:

to lead forth:—bring forth (out), fetch (lead) out.to move, impel: of forces and influences on the mind

This is the effectual call of Christs elect or sheep !

Hi and if you are NOT in your narrative you become lost , with no answer !

Here is and is another EFFECTUAL CALL of Isaiah , in Isaiah 6:8 and reads , Also I heard the voice of the Lord , saying , Whom shall I send and who will GO FOR US ? Then said I, Here am I , SEND ME !!

Care to explain what verses 2 MEANS , and Verses 9-13 will explain it , if your eyes see what it means ?

dan p

Jerry Shugart

Only they which are of God hears Gods words Jn 8:47

Paul said that the gospel had come to all the world:

And Paul said that the gospel that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

Calvinism teaches that the gospel which brings salvation only came to some men but not all men.

Jerry Shugart

The Lord called me and saved me from an alcoholic death one night in my navy barracks room. I was a sinner and God gave me a chance. I got sober. I retired from the Navy. I went home and helped my Dad with my Mom who had Alzhiemers. I married my wife (mother of my daughter) who had been hurt at work and could not work. I took her home to the Philippines in 2006. My dear wife passed away in 2019. I am now living with my daughter and helping pay the bills during these tough times. I feel that God had a mission for me.

Bradley, I'm wishing you and your daughter the best and I am happy for you that the Lord called you and saved you from an alcoholic death. Sorry for the death of your wife but you will be united in heaven.

Jerry Shugart

Also they which are drawn to Christ are recipients of the effectual call Jn 6:44; 12:32

"And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me" (Jn.12:32).​

All men were drawn to Christ when Paul preached the gospel in all the world (Col.1:5-6) but all men are not saved by a so-called effectual call.

beloved57

Hi and if you are NOT in your narrative you become lost , with no answer !

Here is and is another EFFECTUAL CALL of Isaiah , in Isaiah 6:8 and reads , Also I heard the voice of the Lord , saying , Whom shall I send and who will GO FOR US ? Then said I, Here am I , SEND ME !!

Care to explain what verses 2 MEANS , and Verses 9-13 will explain it , if your eyes see what it means ?

dan p

I don't know what you talking about.

beloved57

"And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me" (Jn.12:32).​

All men were drawn to Christ when Paul preached the gospel in all the world (Col.1:5-6) but all men are not saved by a so-called effectual call.

Just the Sheep are drawn to Christ, All of them

beloved57

Calvinism teaches that the gospel which brings salvation only came to some men but not all men.

That's all the Sheep Salvation comes to. The gospel is preached to all that comes in contact with it but not all are the called!

Truth7t7

The parable of the sower would be fitting, the seed would be the gospel, and the various places plated would be the reception in f man?
​​​​​
Matthew 13:3-9KJV
3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Truth7t7

That's all the Sheep Salvation comes to. The gospel is preached to all that comes in contact with it but not all are the called!
Pretty Simple, Very Easy To Understand.

1.) Foreknowledge
2.) Predestinated
3.) Called
4.) Justified
5.) Glorified

Romans 8:29-30KJV
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.