Easter, the great feast of the Paschal Mystery,

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
https://www.facebook.com/Dr.ScottHahn/posts/3028195920534831

Every year, as we prepare to celebrate Easter, the great feast of the Paschal Mystery, we undergo purification through forty days of desert: the “forty days” of Lent. Lent is the season that begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, the day before Easter. When we exclude Sundays (the ancient Fathers forbade fasting on Sundays), that usually makes for a total of forty days.

The number forty is primarily symbolic—and it is richly symbolic. The earliest reference we have to a forty-day preparation for Easter is in the canons of the Council of Nicaea (a.d. 325). One of the most compact expressions of its meaning, however, appears in the work of St. John Cassian in the fifth century. He describes Lent as “the tithes of the year,” because it is roughly a tenth of the days in a year. We give those days to the Lord as a special offering; and, in doing so, we imitate his own fast, as he intended us to do. Cassian also notes the Old Testament models of Israel in the wilderness, and of Moses and Elijah, who also underwent fortyday fasts.

If we are lay people living in the world, we need not take on a monastic fast of bread and water. In my country, we follow the Lenten custom of fasting by “giving something up,” preferably a favorite food or pastime to which we are unduly attached. We may also stop eating between meals, or skip dessert, or forgo second helpings. We return it all to God for forty days, not because any of it is “bad,” but because it is indeed very good. Only good things should be offered in sacrifice to God; only the best of the harvest could be offered as a tithe. We give them to God so that we learn not to put anything in God’s place in our lives.

—I hope you enjoyed this excerpt from my book “Signs of Life.” Learn more at https://stpaulcenter.com/product/sig...biblical-roots

Scott Hahn

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Ready or Not, It’s Lent
https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/ready-or-not-its-lent

Lent is here, that penitential season on the liturgical calendar when Catholics give up all sorts of things for spiritual reasons. And it is again that time of year when the questions start pouring into Catholic Answers’ apologetics department about how Catholics should observe Lent. The unspoken problem at the root of many of the concerns often seems to be a need to know how quickly the Lenten penances can be chucked.

God's Truth

Ready or Not, It’s Lent
https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/ready-or-not-its-lent

Lent is here, that penitential season on the liturgical calendar when Catholics give up all sorts of things for spiritual reasons. And it is again that time of year when the questions start pouring into Catholic Answers’ apologetics department about how Catholics should observe Lent. The unspoken problem at the root of many of the concerns often seems to be a need to know how quickly the Lenten penances can be chucked.

No such thing in the Bible.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Do you want to make up an oxygen ritual that isn't in the Bible?

Don't you fear God?

What happened to Aaron's two son's?
If something's not in the Bible, like how oxygen isn't in the Bible, that really doesn't mean very much at all then, wouldn't you say?

God's Truth

If something's not in the Bible, like how oxygen isn't in the Bible, that really doesn't mean very much at all then, wouldn't you say?

You can't make up rituals that God didn't command.

It is called obeying man rather than God.

It is called nullifying God with your traditions.

Matthew 15:6-9 Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’”

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
You can't make up rituals that God didn't command.

It is called obeying man rather than God.

It is called nullifying God with your traditions.

Matthew 15:6-9 Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’”
Non-responsive.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
No such thing in the Bible.

Not true.

Question:

Every year during Lent I'm asked why Catholics fast and abstain. How can I explain our Lenten practice?

Answer:

Explain that Lent is the 40 days before Easter in which Catholics pray, fast, contemplate, and engage in acts of spiritual self-discipline. Catholics do these things because Easter, which celebrates the Resurrection of Christ, is the greatest holy day of the Christian year (even above Christmas) and Catholics have recognized that it is appropriate to prepare for such a holy day by engaging in such disciplines.

The reason Lent lasts 40 days is that 40 is the traditional number of judgment and spiritual testing in the Bible (Gn 7:4, Ex 24:18, 34:28, Nm 13:25, 14:33, Jon 3:4). Lent bears particular relationship to the 40 days Christ spent fasting in the desert before entering into his public ministry (Mt 4:1-11). Catholics imitate Christ by spending 40 days in spiritual discipline before the celebration of Christ’s triumph over sin and death.

Fasting is a biblical discipline that can be defended from both the Old and the New Testament. Christ expected his disciples to fast (Mt 9:14-15) and issued instructions for how they should do so (Mt 6:16-18). Catholics follow this pattern by holding a partial fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Abstinence from certain foods is also a biblical discipline. In Daniel 10:2-3 we read, “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning for three weeks. I ate no delicacies, no meat or wine entered my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, for the full three weeks.” Catholics use a practice similar to Daniel’s when, as a way of commemorating Christ’s Crucifixion on a Friday, they abstain from eating meat on that day of the week during Lent. The only kind of flesh they eat on Friday is fish, which is a symbol of Christ.

Even the Ash Wednesday practice of having one’s forehead signed with ashes has a biblical parallel. Putting ashes on one’s head was a common biblical expression of mourning (1 Sm 13:19, Est 4:1, Is 61:3; see also Est 4:3, Jer 6:26, Ez 27:30, Dn 9:3, Mt 11:21, Lk 10:13). By having the sign of the cross made with ashes on their foreheads, Catholics mourn Christ’s suffering on the cross and their own sins, which made that suffering necessary.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/why-do-catholics-practice-fasting-and-abstinence-during-lent

God's Truth

Not true.

Question:

Every year during Lent I'm asked why Catholics fast and abstain. How can I explain our Lenten practice?

Answer:

Explain that Lent is the 40 days before Easter in which Catholics pray, fast, contemplate, and engage in acts of spiritual self-discipline. Catholics do these things because Easter, which celebrates the Resurrection of Christ, is the greatest holy day of the Christian year (even above Christmas) and Catholics have recognized that it is appropriate to prepare for such a holy day by engaging in such disciplines.
Nowhere in the Bible does it say to do what the Catholics do for 40 days.

As for Daniel, he didn't eat anything as a treat to himself for three full weeks, it is 21 days, not 40 weeks.

Daniel 10

2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.

3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

The reason Lent lasts 40 days is that 40 is the traditional number of judgment and spiritual testing in the Bible (Gn 7:4, Ex 24:18, 34:28, Nm 13:25, 14:33, Jon 3:4). Lent bears particular relationship to the 40 days Christ spent fasting in the desert before entering into his public ministry (Mt 4:1-11). Catholics imitate Christ by spending 40 days in spiritual discipline before the celebration of Christ’s triumph over sin and death.
Christ didn't eat anything. If you want to copy Christ, then copy and don't make up things that Jesus didn't do.

Fasting is a biblical discipline that can be defended from both the Old and the New Testament. Christ expected his disciples to fast (Mt 9:14-15) and issued instructions for how they should do so (Mt 6:16-18). Catholics follow this pattern by holding a partial fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.
You said it yourself that you don't do it as Jesus did. It is your own way and not from God.

Abstinence from certain foods is also a biblical discipline. In Daniel 10:2-3 we read, “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning for three weeks. I ate no delicacies, no meat or wine entered my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, for the full three weeks.”

Daniel was in mourning, and, like a person in mourning, they don't care to eat pleasing foods, only food to sustain themselves, they don't want to enjoy food, and they don't bother to put lotion on their skin. That is what Daniel was doing---not what Catholics do.
Catholics use a practice similar to Daniel’s when, as a way of commemorating Christ’s Crucifixion on a Friday, they abstain from eating meat on that day of the week during Lent. The only kind of flesh they eat on Friday is fish, which is a symbol of Christ.
Fish is still flesh. The Catholics forbidding meat except fish on certain days, or any food for lent reminds me of this:

1 Timothy 4:1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

Even the Ash Wednesday practice of having one’s forehead signed with ashes has a biblical parallel. Putting ashes on one’s head was a common biblical expression of mourning (1 Sm 13:19, Est 4:1, Is 61:3; see also Est 4:3, Jer 6:26, Ez 27:30, Dn 9:3, Mt 11:21, Lk 10:13). By having the sign of the cross made with ashes on their foreheads, Catholics mourn Christ’s suffering on the cross and their own sins, which made that suffering necessary.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/why-do-c...ce-during-lent

The sign of the cross isn't biblical, and neither is putting ashes on the forehead in a cross scriptural.

God's Truth

Show us all where God commanded that a New Testament be put together.

Waiting.....

tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock,

You are wrong. Buh bye.

Are you kidding? God said to write it down. There are so many, but here are some.

Exodus 17:14 And the Lord said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.

Exodus 34:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

Jeremiah 30:2 "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Write in a book all the words I have spoken to you.

Jeremiah 25:13 I will bring upon that land all the words I have pronounced against it, all that is written in this book, which Jeremiah prophesied against all the nations.

Isaiah 30:8 Go now, write it on a tablet in their presence and inscribe it on a scroll; it will be for the days to come, a witness forever and ever.

Habakkuk 2:2 Then the LORD answered me: "Write down this vision and clearly inscribe it on tablets, so that a herald may run with it.

Here are are more from the New Testament.

Luke 1:1-4 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

John 20:30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

2 Peter 3:1Dear friends, this is now my second letter to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking. 2 I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.

Acts 15:20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.

Romans 16:25-27 Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him–to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

2 Timothy 3:14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Romans 10:5 Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them.”

2 Corinthians 13:10 This is why I write these things when I am absent, that when I come I may not have to be harsh in my use of authority—the authority the Lord gave me for building you up, not for tearing you down.

2 Corinthians 1:13 For we do not write you anything you cannot read or understand. And I hope that,
Galatians 6:11 [ Not Circumcision but the New Creation ] See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!
Philippians 3:1 [ No Confidence in the Flesh ] Further, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you.
Revelation 1:11,12 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea…

Revelation 2:1-3:22 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; …

...and more.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Nowhere in the Bible does it say to do what the Catholics do for 40 days

I am not going to argue with your stupidity. Everything you said in these posts is a lie. If the only way you can state your beliefs is by attacking others and lying about others then you are no Christian.

I post what I believe. I did not go into your thread attacking what you believe. You are a tool when it comes to this topic.

There is nothing that says that everything we do has to be perfectly spelled out in the Bible. That is STUPID.

Goodbye Faux Xtian.

Last edited:

God's Truth

I am not going to argue with you and your stupidity. Everything you said in these posts is a lie. If the only way you can state your beliefs is by attacking others and lying about others then you are no Christian.

I post what I believe. I did not go into your thread attacking what you believe. You are a tool when it comes to this topic.

There is nothing that says that everything we do has to be perfectly spelled out in the Bible. That is STUPID.

Goodbye Faux Xtian.

You can't defend your beliefs with truth for a reason.