Death and how to comfort the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

God's Truth

I meant the part where we are present with the Lord. If we are immediately present with the Lord, then why did Paul write that they should look to a future event for solace? Their solace should have been in the past event of already joining Christ.

Paul dealt with some people who were teaching there was no resurrection. 1 Corinthians 15:12-19

12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

God's Truth

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but nowhere in the Bible does it say anyone goes to heaven.
Jesus explicitly declared otherwise.
All the dead are in their graves until either Jesus's return or else Judgment Day.

You are wrong.

Matthew 23:13 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

WYRose

BANNED
Banned
WYRose User Name
Both of you are bringing up valid points from scripture, but you are not coming to the same conclusions. Can we try to dig into the topic rather than dig into each other?

Ok what do you want to know?
What you are seeing is my showing truth - while other one has a head filled with Babylonian nonsense.

God's Truth

Sure. Those who loose loved ones hear this about 20 to 50 times at a funeral. I don't believe the intention is to be glib during a time of great loss, but when such is given that many times, it starts to lose its comfort and for the loved ones, seems words that do not help 'them' in their loss and pain.

On your other point, we had a youth in our church who was from a strong Catholic family. She died in a car wreck and her parents wanted a Catholic funeral. It was okay, but the Priest told her parents exactly what you are saying: That 'our sister lies in the grave until the resurrection.' It was awful and no comfort but for a future hope.

Catholic denomination doesn't teach that.

God's Truth

Here it is as explicit as can be: [h=1]John 3:13 King James Version (KJV)[/h]
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

That scripture is about no one but Jesus can go to heaven with their body.

God's Truth

So despite Jesus saying he would be dead three days you say he and the thief flew off to heaven?

So tell me why [h=1]Hebrews 11:32-40 New International Version (NIV)[/h]
32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets,
39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised,

If they had not received their rewards by the time Hebrews was written possible 30 years after Jesus returned to heaven why do you say the dead fly off to heaven?
The thief is still in his grave just like Gideon etc.

You are like so many others in these last Days - you take odd verses and fail to understand them or their context.

They went to where Abraham was.

way 2 go

So despite Jesus saying he would be dead three days you say he and the thief flew off to heaven?

so you are saying Jesus lied to the criminal on the cross ?

Luk 23:43 And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
All thoughts perish.
Abraham is in his grave waiting for resurrectiion day.

Dig up a corpse from a grave, and by golly you're right--you won't find any thinking going on inside that corpse. All thoughts have indeed perished from it. But the soul of that person is no longer in that corpse. That is the part you miss.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This thread went down into bickering awfully fast. It now locked because of that. If you can't discuss the subject instead of each other, then the thread is dead. :grave:

Status
Not open for further replies.