ECT Do you see All, Some, None of the Spiritual Gifts in Operation Today?

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I also used to attend an assemblies of God pentecostal church with a girlfriend of mine,
they were more concerned about me wearing makeup and jewelry
and teaching me how to learn to speak in tongues
than they were about teaching me what salvation and freedom in Christ is.

:thumb: Correct, Assemblies of God; they are often referred to Assembly of God which is a splinter group.

That is the truth, you know let's look like the world and be Bertha-Better-Than-You, and put on a fashion show and who knows what else. :roses: :peach:

:listen: I've seen that more than once.

That should be first and foremost, Salvation and Freedom in Christ. :poly:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was old enough to understand them telling me too that makeup was a sin, that i couldnt cut my hair, and that the only jewelry that was allowed by God was a watch and a wedding ring and that women were required to wear dresses all the time.

Paul doesn't have a laundry list of requirements. Only modesty.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I said no such lie. I said the church that did that to me was assemblies of God, you created the rest in your feigned outrage.

I dont care what their website says, i know what church i was at, and what they did.

I reject the things you say also and you say you are assemblies of God, thats enough for me to know its not for me.

I am not AOG. I associate with PAOC (www.paoc.org).

andyc

Hey, arrogant North American idiot. GFA has much integrity and the founder lives in Texas. Just because they are brown does not mean the miracles are not well documented and checked out by arrogant Americans. These things also happen here, but to a lesser degree thanks to people with massive unbelief influenced by the spirit of the age, self-sufficient Americans who barely need or want God, etc. You have bought into a lie and prefer a scientific, naturalistic worldview over a biblical one. They have more need and openness and do not grieve and quench the Spirit like too many here do.

:thumb:

S0Z0

BANNED
Banned
Hi S0Z0!

What kind of charismatic church were you involved with? What led you to leave it?
Non-denominational. Every well known charismatic evangelist, pastor, teacher, celebrity in the country would speak there. I became very active in working with many in the movement.

I left it because their teachings were not consistent with what the Bible teaches (separate baptism of the Holy Spirit, healings, prophecies, apostles, etc).

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Some. But there are probably more in operation in other places.

Ephesians Chapter 4 makes it clear that there's no such thing as cessationism.

"Till we all come to the unity of the faith"

When has the Christian church ever been unified?

Is anyone around here a perfect man?

Anyone around here just like Jesus?

"And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love."

JesusFan

Acts recorded the working of the Holy Spirit in ways NOT norm for now, as was in the transistion era between Covenants, was establishing jesus as Lord for both Jews/Gentiles!

Tongues fulfilled prophets Joel/Isaiah, healings sign to witness to messiah Jesus, and the Apostles/prophets of NT era had revelatory aspects, giving forth doctrines, confirming doctrines etc NOT same today!

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Acts recorded the working of the Holy Spirit in ways NOT norm for now, as was in the transistion era between Covenants, was establishing jesus as Lord for both Jews/Gentiles!

Tongues fulfilled prophets Joel/Isaiah, healings sign to witness to messiah Jesus, and the Apostles/prophets of NT era had revelatory aspects, giving forth doctrines, confirming doctrines etc NOT same today!

This is sheer assumption not demanded by the text. Acts is transitional and selective history/historical narrative. There is no hint that these things would be rescinded at the start vs end of the Church Age (I Cor. 12-14 didactic). You beg the question, assume what you try to prove, without evidence from the text (I Cor. 13 proof text does not negate the 3 whole chapters).

JesusFan

Do you hold that God has given to saints today the gifts to physically heah, do miracles, and to speak/teach prophetic words for today than?

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you hold that God has given to saints today the
gifts to physically heah,
do miracles, and to
speak/teach prophetic words for today than?

Physical healing? Yes. James 5:14-15, 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

Do miracles? I believe we cannot limit God and put God in a box and say no God not today, that would be foolish, I believe that somethings can only come by prayer and fasting. (Matthew 17:21, Mark 9:29)

Speak/teach prophetic word for today? I believe that Jesus was the last prophetic word (Hebrews 1:1-2) to man and closed it out His revelation to John. As for prophetic word, foretelling (prophecy) what the scripture gives is it, some fulfilled, some being fulfilled and some yet to be fulfilled; I believe that Joel 2:28 is valid as well. Forth-telling is to me the affirmation, assurance and reassurance, and encouragement from God's word and prophecy from God's word that is already given. However if the God wants to do a new thing He says He will or that He can, Isaiah 43:19.

I also believe there will be another great awaking before the Second Coming of Jesus.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Do you hold that God has given to saints today the gifts to physically heah, do miracles, and to speak/teach prophetic words for today than?

The gifts are given to the church and are not resident in individuals. Yes, tongues, prophecy, healing, words of knowledge/wisdom, gifts of giving, faith, administration, teaching, etc. are for today. Perhaps you have a misunderstanding of the nature and use of gifts?

This Charming Manc

The gifts of the spirit are clearly for today in scripture and clear in my church experience.

If you remove the gifts from the christian experience you have to say that the gospels most of acts and good chunk of Pauls the letters are not for today also. Which is aposition i refute.

However I would warn against dodgy guys, with fake smiles, white suits and bad toupes.

Seriously gifts performed on stages by 'christian superstars' to make themselves seems important or more spitritual than us just sucks, and is full of fakery and forgery.

I would also say much pentecostal preaching and doctrine is flawed, and doesnt stand up to good biblical interpretation.

I also would suggest many cessationist actually manifest the gifts of the spirit as I understand them, but are incomfortable with the charismatic/pentecostal labels and langauge used for the above reasons.

Where would you stand on this issue?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Non-denominational. Every well known charismatic evangelist, pastor, teacher, celebrity in the country would speak there. I became very active in working with many in the movement.

I left it because their teachings were not consistent with what the Bible teaches (separate baptism of the Holy Spirit, healings, prophecies, apostles, etc).

You mean they preached the bible....yes that does irk some.

beloved57

Paul preached the risen Christ. He did not preach the distinctive TULIP doctrines that were not even heard of for centuries later.

Yes, Paul preached what now a days is called Tulip, as His Gospel, changing it to the name of man is not going to change that !

oatmeal

What gifts?

Eternal life? Romans 6:23. Yes,

Gift of Holy Spirit? Acts 2:38 Yes

Gift of righteousness? Romans 5:17. Yes.

Gift of salvation? Ephesians 2:8-9. Yes.

Gifts of ministries? Ephesians 4:8,11. Yes.

oatmeal

What?

No rebuttal?

oatmeal