ECT Our triune God

Lon

I think it is smart for Lon to retreat. He just couldn't prove his triunity.
At this point 1) you need patience and 2) I already said: a 'family' is not God and God is not a family. I have a family. My family is not me. :nono: Repeating myself isn't necessary and I don't need to say the exact same thing again, for you to understand this. I will this time. If I don't do so in the future, try rereading my prior post, the answer will likely be there all along.
He shall be my son ... are sons not family? We inherit the universe with our husband and you say that is not family?

I don't understand why this is hard for you. You sound like Nicodemus.
And I don't understand why it is hard for you. You seem to be confusing the terms 'family' and 'God' to me.
I didn't say we weren't God's family. Saying "I'm God!" is very different than saying "I'm a part of God's family." Huge huge difference.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't say we weren't God's family. Saying "I'm God!" is very different than saying "I'm a part of God's family." Huge huge difference.

Do you not believe Jesus is the Son of God?

We each were begotten by our father and born of our mother. In Jesus' case his father is God. But don't falsely construe Jesus' situation into believing that Jesus is the only son of God. Jesus is the only begotten son of God, but he is not the only son or daughter of God.

Jesus is the firstborn of many sons and daughters of God. Jesus' human mother was Mary but Jesus' spiritual mother is the same as our spiritual mother and Jesus is our half-brother. And God is our spiritual Father.

Lon

Do you not believe Jesus is the Son of God?
We each were begotten by our father and born of our mother. In Jesus' case his father is God. But don't falsely construe Jesus' situation into believing that Jesus is the only son of God. Jesus is the only begotten son of God, but he is not the only son or daughter of God.
You are 'adopted.' If I adopt a monkey, it does not a human make whether it becomes part of the family or not.
Jesus is the firstborn of many sons and daughters of God. Jesus' human mother was Mary but Jesus' spiritual mother is the same as our spiritual mother and Jesus is our half-brother. And God is our spiritual Father.
Yes, it does not make you "God," by any revelation. You have an imagination and a wild one.

Say "I am God" on TOL. You'll be swiftly looking elsewhere for company.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You are 'adopted.' If I adopt a monkey, it does not a human make whether it becomes part of the family or not.

If you adopt an apple does that make it an orange? Come on, Lon, keep it together. If a person or persons adopt a human (and that has been done) is the adoptee anything less than human?

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. (Romans 8:14)​

Let's say for the sake of discussion that sons and daughters are family. Whose family?

I will say to the north, "Give them up!" and to the south, "Do not keep them back!" Bring My sons from afar and My daughters from the ends of the earth. (Isaiah 43:6)​

Sons and daughters are family. You may not like it and you obviously disagree, but sons and daughters are family. It's a family relationship. But whose family? God says "my sons" and he says "my daughters" so why do you claim they are not his sons and daughters?

You keep saying God can't, God can't ... but what if he already has?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If Jesus had said,( and He did not) "I am God" then it would have been His Father speaking in/through Him.

Unless Jesus was speaking of Himself as the theos God had made of Him over the new creation (not the old)

Psa 2:2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
Psa 2:3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

Psa 2:6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
Psa 2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
Psa 2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

LA

Lon

Well, again, this is a triune thread, not one to go off on tangents. Please bring it back to triune specific discussion. Quadr-une isn't within the bounds or intent of this thread.

Thanks.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, again, this is a triune thread, not one to go off on tangents. Please bring it back to triune specific discussion. Quadr-une isn't within the bounds or intent of this thread.

Ok, I don't see the holy Spirit as being anyone other than the Father or the Son, not a third person, just one or both of them. But we know the holy Spirit does marry.

So there you go and I think that sums it up for me.

:car:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I am familiar with the Catholic viewpoint. An unmarried priest can be a "father" but not God. And Christ became a son by magic somewhere along the way so that there can be a "trinity" whatever that is.

So you too have bought Satan's lie that people cannot die. Lots of luck proving that one.

The resurrections are one of the fundamentals of Christianity. If people didn't die there would be no point of a resurrection.

There is physical, spiritual, eternal death with implications of separation, not cessation.

Physical death necessitates physical resurrection (glorification) where spirit-soul is reunited with body, God's intended tripartite being forever.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Let me see if I understand you, just because I believe God is a Father as Jesus said he is makes me a cultist? I don't get it, you don't believe in God the Father so I shouldn't either? Nah, I disagree.

I don't know anything about Mormon beliefs so was Herbert Armstrong a Mormon? I understand the Marriots are Mormon and Mitt is a Mormon. Are all Mormons bad people?

Is WWCOG a Morman thing?

Herbert W. Armstrong was the founder of World Wide Church of God. They taught a confusing God-Family concept (and that we will become part of this god-family too). He was influenced by JWs, Mormons, SDAs.

Mormons are another pseudo-Christian cult.

After Armstrong died, his group moved to orthodoxy and is now trinitarian (miracle of the Holy Spirit). There are other splinter groups holding to his old views.

I have not heard what group you identify with. I also do not clearly understand your views.

To start, is there one true God or many Gods/gods? Is Jesus Christ Almighty God/uncreated Creator, or a creature with a beginning? Is the Holy Spirit personal or impersonal?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Although we agree on our view of the Mormon and WWCOG doctrines godrulz, can you answer me two questions without us getting into our usual Oneness/Trinity debate? :)

1. Do you really think the apostles, who were originally OT Jews who were well educated in the Scriptures believed that God was three as the trinitarian view holds?
2. If so, when do you believe they received the revelation? On the Day of Pentecost? Later? Before?
Just wondering...

God bless!!

God's self-revelation is progressive. There was a transition in fuller understanding. At one point, they probably thought Jesus was Messiah, but were not clear on His Deity until later. Jesus revealed more about the Holy Spirit in Jn. 14-16, not at the start of His ministry. They would have understood His claims to Deity (Son of God, forgive sins, right hand of Father, one with Father, etc....the Pharisees also did, but rejected it as blasphemy).

It is not clear when any individual understood God's triune nature hinted at in the OT and fully revealed by the closing of the canon. They had a pre-theoretical approach before later formalizations in response to heretical attacks on the view that was held even if not understood fully.

The history of dogma and church history would shed light, but the important thing for us is what does the Scriptures teach now that we have them.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I have not heard what group you identify with. I also do not clearly understand your views.

I grew up as Southern Baptist. My dad liked the choir and the sermons were not too long.

I was even baptised. It looked like fun and was something I had never done.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
To start, is there one true God or many Gods/gods?

God is a generic term translated into English from the Greek theos. The meaning must be determined from the context. For example, the term Most High refers to the supreme God, but if there is a Most High God there are obviously less high gods, such as our brother Jesus Christ and such as was Adam.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I grew up as Southern Baptist. My dad liked the choir and the sermons were not too long.

I was even baptised. It looked like fun and was something I had never done.

Have you abandoned their beliefs? They are trinitarian.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God is a generic term translated into English from the Greek theos. The meaning must be determined from the context. For example, the term Most High refers to the supreme God, but if there is a Most High God there are obviously less high gods, such as our brother Jesus Christ and such as was Adam.

There is one true God by nature and many false or so-called gods, not God by nature (Gal. 4:8; I Cor. 8:4-6). Jesus is not false god, not lesser god (which is pagan polytheism if He is a true God), but He is God Almighty. He has the names, titles, attributes, deeds, position, etc. of the Father. This is not true about Satan, angels, bad judges in Psalms, Adam, etc.

You were SBC. What are you now?