Can a Christian lose their salvation?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Please provide Scripture with your response.

No!

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Obviously, if one believes they are saved by their own meritorious works, then it follows that they can lose salvation by their own unmeritorious works.

Then, some believe that they merit the merits of Christ through their own meritorious works, in other words, they believe their salvation rests in Christ's work on the cross plus their own good works, as if Christ's perfect sacrifice isn't good enough.

I didn't earn my salvation.
It was given to me through GOD's grace.
And I received it into my empty hands by faith... believing GOD.

I do not frustrate the grace of GOD, for if righteousness comes by law keeping (personal meritorious works), then Christ died in futility.

God's Truth

Obviously, if one believes they are saved by their own meritorious works, then it follows that they can lose salvation by their own unmeritorious works.

Then, some believe that they merit the merits of Christ through their own meritorious works, in other words, they believe their salvation rests in Christ's work on the cross plus their own good works, as if Christ's perfect sacrifice isn't good enough.

I do not frustrate the grace of GOD, for if righteousness comes by law keeping (personal meritorious works), then Christ died in futility.

We eat Jesus' flesh by obeying his words, his words are Spirit.

Wick Stick

The question is badly worded; based on a misunderstanding. Nobody currently "has" salvation, because salvation is a process and a state of being, not a thing. How can one lose a process? Can you misplace your state of being?

I guess if you're on the path, you can get off the path. That almost makes sense.

Oh, and you asked for verses. Here's a couple...

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Phl 2:12

Let us run with patience the race that is set before us. Heb 12:1

God's Truth

The question is badly worded; based on a misunderstanding. Nobody currently "has" salvation, because salvation is a process and a state of being, not a thing. How can one lose a process? Can you misplace your state of being?

I guess if you're on the path, you can get off the path. That almost makes sense.

Oh, and you asked for verses. Here's a couple...

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Phl 2:12

Let us run with patience the race that is set before us. Heb 12:1

If you have a personal relationship with Jesus, then you have salvation now.

Saved

Luke 7:50 Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Acts 15:11
No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Ephesians 2:5
made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

2 Timothy 1:9
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

Titus 3:5
he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

Luke 19:9
Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.

Wick Stick

If you have a personal relationship with Jesus, then you have salvation now.
Salvation is just safety. If you believe Jesus' teachings and practice them as part of a group of like-minded individuals, then you have entered that state of safety. You can leave that state by doing what Jesus forbid, failing to do what He commanded, or leaving the confines of the community to act within the world-at-large.

Now then, you've quoted a bunch of verses into a vacuum. Lets see if we can give them all back their context!

Saved

Luke 7:50 Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
This is about the healing of the particular physical affliction of a single woman.

Acts 15:11
No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”
What's under consideration a hypothetical-but-prophesied future event in this verse, dealing with the judgment and dispersion of the Jewish nation, from which the apostles and nascent church believed they would be spared (spoiler: they were).

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Ephesians 2:5
made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
In Ephesians 2, Paul repeatedly refer back to the initial re-generation of the Ephesian believers (their conversion). See Eph 2:1. With the establishment of the church at Ephesus, the believers there did indeed enter into salvation. This does not mean they were all granted OSAS-status-straight-into-heaven. It was still necessary that they walked out that salvation, and it's a fair guess that some of them didn't.

2 Timothy 1:9
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time.
Paul is writing to Timothy, and juxtaposes his current state (incarcerated, awaiting trial, very much endangered) against his ultimate fate (resurrected, incorruptible). It should be clear that this hasn't happened yet at the time of writing.

Titus 3:5
He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
Paul writes to Titus a short manual of basic doctrines and advice for dealing with a church (in Crete) which was largely reprobate and undisciplined. In this passage, he compares the behavior of the Cretans to his own past misdeeds, urging Titus to be long-suffering towards them (as by comparison God was long-suffering towards Paul).

[URL="http://biblia.com/bible/nkjv/Luke%2019.9%20/%20_blank"]Luke 19:9
Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.
This is again a conversion event. They began their walk that day. They didn't finish it the same day.

Jarrod

God's Truth

Salvation is just safety. If you believe Jesus' teachings and practice them as part of a group of like-minded individuals, then you have entered that state of safety. You can leave that state by doing what Jesus forbid, failing to do what He commanded, or leaving the confines of the community to act within the world-at-large.

Now then, you've quoted a bunch of verses into a vacuum. Lets see if we can give them all back their context!

No such thing as being saved being out of context.

This is about the healing of the particular physical affliction of a single woman.
No.
Jesus was speaking to her about forgiveness of sins.

What's under consideration a hypothetical-but-prophesied future event in this verse, dealing with the judgment and dispersion of the Jewish nation, from which the apostles and nascent church believed they would be spared (spoiler: they were).
None of that makes sense to me.
Jesus was teaching right then and there about the grace of forgiveness through faith in him.

In Ephesians 2, Paul repeatedly refer back to the initial re-generation of the Ephesian believers (their conversion). See Eph 2:1. With the establishment of the church at Ephesus, the believers there did indeed enter into salvation. This does not mean they were all granted OSAS-status-straight-into-heaven. It was still necessary that they walked out that salvation, and it's a fair guess that some of them didn't.
When a person is saved, at that time they are reconciled to God. God lives inside of them, and we are placed in Him in heaven.

Ephesians 2:6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,

Colossians 3:1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

Colossians 3:3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.

Paul is writing to Timothy, and juxtaposes his current state (incarcerated, awaiting trial, very much endangered) against his ultimate fate (resurrected, incorruptible). It should be clear that this hasn't happened yet at the time of writing.
I am not sure what you are talking about.

Paul writes to Titus a short manual of basic doctrines and advice for dealing with a church (in Crete) which was largely reprobate and undisciplined. In this passage, he compares the behavior of the Cretans to his own past misdeeds, urging Titus to be long-suffering towards them (as by comparison God was long-suffering towards Paul).

This is again a conversion event. They began their walk that day. They didn't finish it the same day.

Jarrod

We are saved now, and are continually being saved, and will be saved in the end, if we continue to have faith and obedience to Christ.

genuineoriginal

Can a Christian lose their salvation?
People who think this verse does not apply to Christians will never believe the truth about it.

Ezekiel 18:24
24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.​

genuineoriginal

Do you think Paul was mistaken about it?

Romans 2:7
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:​