Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So, you think

What I think has nothing to do with it.

That's what the text says.

Jesus referred to her as a dog.

Jesus called her a derogatory name and then went on to do her the biggest favour she could (and did) ask for?

Because, as He said literally right after, her faith was so great, therefore He, to use the analogy, fed her scraps from the table, and healed her daughter.

Then Jesus answered and said to her, [JESUS]“O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.”[/JESUS] And her daughter was healed from that very hour. - Matthew 15:28 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:28&version=NKJV

If anything, Jesus showed that prejudices based on race or creed didn't really fly, the parable of the good Samaritan being an obvious example.

Prejudice has nothing to do with it, as was explained by Jesus a few verses earlier:

But He answered and said, [JESUS]“I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”[/JESUS] - Matthew 15:24 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:24&version=NKJV

Jesus was sent to the house of Israel.

The woman was a gentile, therefore He was not sent to her.

She wanted to partake of that which belonged to Israel (the miracles).

He ignored her.

The disciples asked Him to send her away.

He, still ignoring the woman, said He wasn't sent except to Israel.

She worships Him, still asking for help.

He tells her that it's not good to give miracles to those He was not sent to.

She answers, in a show of faith, that even the gentiles can gain from those miracles.

He marvels at her faith, and finally gives in, and heals her daughter.

See how that works?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Fascinating

Artie has so much emotional investment in a politically correct version of Jesus, he baldly denies what's right in front of him on the written page

Arthur Brain

What I think has nothing to do with it.

That's what the text says.

Jesus referred to her as a dog.

Because, as He said literally right after, her faith was so great, therefore He, to use the analogy, fed her scraps from the table, and healed her daughter.

Then Jesus answered and said to her, [JESUS]“O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.”[/JESUS] And her daughter was healed from that very hour. - Matthew 15:28 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:28&version=NKJV

Prejudice has nothing to do with it, as was explained by Jesus a few verses earlier:

But He answered and said, [JESUS]“I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”[/JESUS] - Matthew 15:24 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:24&version=NKJV

Jesus was sent to the house of Israel.

The woman was a gentile, therefore He was not sent to her.

She wanted to partake of that which belonged to Israel (the miracles).

He ignored her.

The disciples asked Him to send her away.

He, still ignoring the woman, said He wasn't sent except to Israel.

She worships Him, still asking for help.

He tells her that it's not good to give miracles to those He was not sent to.

She answers, in a show of faith, that even the gentiles can gain from those miracles.

He marvels at her faith, and finally gives in, and heals her daughter.

See how that works?

What I see is an analogy rather than Jesus directly referring to her with an insulting name. You think that Jesus was actually startled by her response?

Tell me something JR, when have you ever referred to someone with a deliberately derogatory term and then done them a huge, altruistic favour immediately afterwards. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say never, right?

Right Divider

Body part
"It"?

Where it came to people who were abusing their authority and were pious hypocrites then Jesus did indeed have some choice terms but even then they weren't just insults. He explained just why they were such.
Jesus called gentiles dogs. I'm sorry that you have issues with the Lord's choice of terms.

Mat 15:22-26 KJV And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. (23) But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. (24) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (25) Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. (26) But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

Who were "the children" that Jesus was contrasting with the "dogs"?

Arthur Brain

Jesus called gentiles dogs. I'm sorry that you have issues with the Lord's choice of terms.

Mat 15:22-26 KJV And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. (23) But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. (24) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (25) Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. (26) But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

Who were "the children" that Jesus was contrasting with the "dogs"?

Jesus did not call the woman a dog, nor did He go around throwing insults at people in general either. I note that you had no response as to when Jesus actually did refer to people in less than complimentary terms either.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
Jesus did not call the woman a dog, nor did He go around throwing insults at people in general either.
Yes, He did call her a dog. He called ALL gentiles dogs and she was a gentile.

That you can try to turn this scripture on its head is typical of your respect for God's word.

I note that you had no response as to when Jesus actually did refer to people in less than complimemtary terms either.
I note that you have problems with plain and clear scripture.

Arthur Brain

Yes, He did call her a dog. He called ALL gentiles dogs and she was a gentile.

That you can try to turn this scripture on its head is typical of your respect for God's word.

I note that you have problems with plain and clear scripture.

No, He didn't. He used an analogy that you and others have took to make out that Jesus just called people dogs, different thing altogether. A few years ago this topic came up, mainly from people who were trying to justify their own name calling by making out that Jesus often insulted people. He didn't, He reserved that for people who were abusing their authority and other people in turn and were pious legalists etc.

Right Divider

Body part
No, He didn't. He used an analogy that you and others have took to make out that Jesus just called people dogs, different thing altogether.
Let me show you the scripture again:

Mat 15:26 KJV But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

A few years ago this topic came up, mainly from people who were trying to justify their own name calling by making out that Jesus often insulted people. He didn't, He reserved that for people who were abusing their authority and other people in turn and were pious legalists etc.
Deny scripture all that you want.... see Matt 15:26

Who were "the children"?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Mat 15:26 KJV But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

Who were "the children"?

you do realize that you're casting pearls before swine, right?

popsthebuilder1

Are you actually denying what Jesus said? That's exactly what Jesus called her.

He used the diminuitive form of the word for dog, so more like "doggette", (translated as "little dogs") but he still called her (and the gentiles as a whole) a dog, and he contrasted them being dogs with Israel being the children.

But He answered and said, [JESUS]“It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”[/JESUS]And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.” - Matthew 15:26-27 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:26-27&version=NKJV

98ea98fcbcf174154093d42e8d7de306.jpg

Strong's g2952

- Lexical: κυνάριον
- Transliteration: kunarion
- Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
- Phonetic Spelling: koo-nar'-ee-on
- Definition: a little dog, a house dog.
- Origin: Neuter of a presumed derivative of kuon; a puppy.
- Usage: dog.
- Translated as (count): dogs (4).

She was asking for food from the Master's table, miracles meant only for the children of Israel.
Yet Christ affirmed that her faith was effectual regardless of her not being a literal blood "Jew".

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Arthur Brain

Who were "the children"?

Rather, I'm denying that Jesus was simply and insultingly calling the woman a "dog". It's pretty obvious that He wasn't. Not that I expect you to read this but here's a perspective that makes a lot of sense in context.

https://www.cbeinternational.org/resources/article/priscilla-papers/jesus-and-canaanite-woman

I just like exposing the posers around here.

Ironic.

Right Divider

Body part
Rather, I'm denying that Jesus was simply and insultingly calling the woman a "dog".
Who ever said that Jesus was 'simply and insultingly calling the woman a "dog".'?

Why are you saying that someone said that? I certainly never said that.

It's pretty obvious that He wasn't. Not that I expect you to read this but here's a perspective that makes a lot of sense in context.
You are correct, I will not read it. But we can discuss scripture.

Jesus was contrasting His people with the gentiles. Jesus called gentiles dogs in comparison to His people.

When the Canaanite woman first approached Jesus He would not even say a single word to her.

Mat 15:22-23 KJV And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. (23) But he answered her not a word[. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

Arthur Brain

Why are you saying that someone said that? I certainly never said that.

Oh, did you think He was paying her a compliment if you actually thought He was simply calling her a dog then? You're on record on this very thread of stating that that's what Jesus was referring to her as.

You are correct, I will not read it. But we can discuss scripture.

Jesus was contrasting His people with the gentiles. Jesus called gentiles dogs in comparison to His people.

When the Canaanite woman first approached Jesus He would not even say a single word to her.

Mat 15:22-23 KJV And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. (23) But he answered her not a word[. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

The article in question addresses scripture and in a lot more detail and in the context of the time. It makes a lot more sense than you.

Right Divider

Body part
Oh, did you think He was paying her a compliment if you actually thought He was simply calling her a dog then? You're on record on this very thread of stating that that's what Jesus was referring to her as.
He did call her a dog, you moron.

He called all gentiles dogs (in contrast to His people, i.e., the children [which refers to the children of Israel]) and she was a gentile.

You are illogical and irrational.

Arthur Brain

He did call her a dog, you moron.

So was it a compliment then, or an insult? Bear in mind your post of #37 in that regard. Does it feel good and edifying for you to act immature and name call in turn?

He called all gentiles dogs (in contrast to His people, i.e., the children [which refers to the children of Israel]) and she was a gentile.

If you read the article, then you might actually learn some context but up to you.

You are illogical and irrational.

Why? Because I happen to disagree with you and show why?