Is Baptism a requirement for Salvation

genuineoriginal

Negative, I just don't water it down, As paul said, for Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel. Don't you know that the gospel has the God given power to baptize without water?
I don't remember seeing any verses to support your claim.
Is it from a doctrine of men instead of the Bible?

Cntrysner

Peter stated that the baptism is not for the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but is the answer of a good conscience towards God.

1 Peter 3:21
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:​

Are you rejecting baptism because you do not have a good conscience towards God?

So, water baptism for the remission of sins does not put away the filth of the flesh? Explain. Where did your sins go if you did not wash them away with water?

Don't you know, you can't wash away your sins, you have to be circumcised to escape your sin.

Cntrysner

I don't remember seeing any verses to support your claim.
Is it from a doctrine of men instead of the Bible?

You apparently can't see anything concerning salvation without a sign. As paul said...

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

Last edited:

Cntrysner

Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
Jesus said it was proper for John to baptize Him. Cite where he said he had to. And I will prayfully consider it.

Mat 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
Mat 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Did Jesus have to fulfill all righteousness?

Cntrysner

1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
Christ the Wisdom and Power of God
1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel:
Compare to..
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock

Cntrysner

circumsion was required for the jews…..I am not a Jew though so it has no bearing on me.

Yes it does...and must be to escape sin, you can't just wash sin away.

Col 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Did Jesus get baptized?

Matthew 3:13
13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.​

Did Peter preach baptism to the Jews?

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.​

Did Peter preach baptism to the Gentiles?

Acts 10:46-48
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.​

Was Paul baptized?

Acts 9:17-18
17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.​

Is there any valid reason for a Christian to refuse to be baptized?

Of course not. But it is still not required for salvation

drbrumley

Col 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

You are all over the map friend....you were speaking of actual circumsion of the jews and now you refer to the spiritual circumsion of Christ.

Please stick to the topic

Cntrysner

So, a person must be actually circumcised in your book....wow.

Yes actually, it's an operation of God and more powerful (more actual) than an operation of men as given to Abraham. It's like water baptism is an operation of men but baptism by the Spirit supersedes water baptism.

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Cntrysner

Quote Originally Posted by Cntrysner View Post

Drdrumley said..So, a person must be actually circumcised in your book....wow.

Look at the verses..you have to be to be complete in Christ.

drbrumley

Yes actually, it's an operation of God and more powerful (more actual) than an operation of men as given to Abraham. It's like water baptism is an operation of men but baptism by the Spirit supersedes water baptism.

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

So an uncircumsised man cannot be saved? Am I hearing you correctly?

Cntrysner

So an uncircumsised man cannot be saved? Am I hearing you correctly?

Look at the verses i gave you..

What do they mean to you?

drbrumley

Look at the verses i gave you..

What do they mean to you?

It sure doesn't mean my uncircumcised neighbor, although he gave his heart to Christ, is lost because a piece of flesh wasn't cut off....

Man, the beliefs of some people.

Cntrysner

You are all over the map friend....you were speaking of actual circumsion of the jews and now you refer to the spiritual circumsion of Christ.

Please stick to the topic

I did not define which because I wanted to capture your attention. You did the same referring to baptism, you did not clarify which. But still baptism and circumcision are required and both now are an operation of God not men, God's operations supersede man's in such a way that the rituals should not be performed by men now because they fly in the face of God. They are false and bare deception.