Is Baptism a requirement for Salvation

heir

TOL Subscriber
Greetings again Jerry and “heir”, We do have the following information concerning James, Cephas (Peter), and John:
Galatians 2:7–9 (KJV): 7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; 8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles: ) 9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
I suggest that this excluded Peter and John from preaching to the Gentiles and we have the record concerning Philip with the Samaritans and the Eunuch and peter with Cornelius and his company. We have no record of the work of the other 10 Apostles and they could have preached to other Gentile areas and audiences not covered by Paul. John seems to have outlived both Paul and Peter and it seems that he was active with the Seven Congregations of Asia Minor, and these included Gentiles.
Although the above needs more explanation, I do not accept that Jesus is speaking about the Apostles’ preaching after the Second Coming.
Please don't lump me in with Jerry. I take the Lord's time to respond with you and I would expect the same toward me. As to the bolded above: Matthew 10:23 KJV
I cannot accept that there are two Gospels here and the rest of your Post. I am not interested in trying to unravel your obscure reasoning.

Kind regards
Trevor
Here are two gospels in one verse (Galatians 2:7 KJV). There are several gospels in the Bible. Gospel=good news. All of those gospels in the Bible cannot be the good news of your salvation, but one is. What is it? What is the gospel of YOUR salvation? If you respond correctly and I can show by the scriptures that it was before a mystery, will you believe it?

genuineoriginal

Here is the description of Biblical faith:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"
(Heb.11:1).​
That is describing how the faith of a believer is shown by the acts of the believer and those acts provide evidence of God to those who do not know Him.
Look at the rest of the chapter.
Hebrews 11 is all about the acts of various believers in the Old Testament.

genuineoriginal

A person cannot "will" himself to believe that five plus five is anything but ten because the "evidence" he possesses tells him that five plus five is ten.
A person can will himself to believe something different if the person changes his frame of reference
5 + 5 = 10 in base 10
5 + 5 = a in base 16
5 + 5 = 12 in base 8

Each of these is true and provable.
A person believes what he believes because of the "evidence" which he has at his disposal and not because he just decides one day to "will" himself to believe that something is true despite the fact that he has no evidence to indicate that it is true.
That is why the evidence provided by the acts of believers is so important.

Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.
~St. Francis of Assisi

Jerry Shugart

A person can will himself to believe something different if the person changes his frame of reference
5 + 5 = 10 in base 10
5 + 5 = a in base 16
5 + 5 = 12 in base 8

Each of these is true and provable.

Of course my words were in regard to base 10. But you just ignored the evidence from the Bible which I gave you:

In the following passage we can see that being "born of God" is not dependent on a person's will:

"He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (Jn.1:11-13).​

A person's new birth has nothing to do with a person's "will" but at the same time that person is born again by believing the word of truth, the gospel:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you"
(1 Pet.1:23,25).

A person is born of God when he believes the gospel and the Apostle John tells us that man's "will" plays no part in being born again. Therefore, that proves that believing is not a function of the will.

Your silence speaks volumes!

genuineoriginal

that proves that believing is not a function of the will.
Jesus' words prove that believing is a function of the will.

Matthew 21:32
32 [JESUS]For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.[/JESUS]​

Mark 1:14-15
14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 And saying, [JESUS]The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.[/JESUS]​

If believing is not a function of the will, then God destroyed people in Egypt for no reason instead of for refusing to believe.

Jude 1:5
5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.​

ttruscott

A person cannot "will" himself to believe that five plus five is anything but ten because the "evidence" he possesses tells him that five plus five is ten.

This is NOT the point! The point is that faith AS A HOPE is a choice between accepting GOD at HIS word or rejecting HIM as false and a liar. It is a choice between accepting Christ as our saviour or to reject him as a charlatan and a liar. 5+5=10 is an axiom, a self evident truth, but the Deity of YHWH and the fact that salvation is only found in Christ is not... Our ability to believe can go either way as reality proves...the many reject these beliefs on faith and the few accept them by faith.

Use the English word faith instead of belief which can also mean proven and you will see how this got confused.

Jerry Shugart

The point is that faith AS A HOPE is a choice between accepting GOD at HIS word or rejecting HIM as false and a liar. It is a choice between accepting Christ as our saviour or to reject him as a charlatan and a liar.

When a person hears the gospel he either believes it or he doesn't. No one chooses to believe but instead they just believe the gospel. Let us look at the answer given in the following passage by Paul and those with HimL

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"
(Acts 16:30-31).​

They didn't answer by saying "choose to believe" but instead they simply said "believe."

No one has even attempted to answer the following which proves that believing is not a function of the will:

In the following passage we can see that being "born of God" is not dependent on a person's will:

"He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the children of of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God"
(Jn.1:11-13).​

A person's new birth has nothing to do with a person's "will" but at the same time that person is born again by believing the word of truth, the gospel:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures"
(Jas.1:18).​

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you"
(1 Pet.1:23,25).​

A person is born of God when he believes the gospel and the Apostle John tells us that man's "will" plays no part in being born again. Therefore, that proves that believing is not a function of the will.

Perhaps you will be the first person who actually addresses these verses.

TrevorL

Greetings again Jerry,

Firstly I would like to correct my previous Post as I wrote the opposite sense to what I intended. After quoting Galatians 2:7-9, I meant to say:
I suggest that this did not exclude Peter and John from preaching to the Gentiles and we have the record concerning Philip with the Samaritans and the Eunuch and Peter with Cornelius and his company.
None of the Apostles who were originally given the commission to preach the gospel to every creature ever went to the Gentiles except for Peter, and even then it took a special revelation from the LORD before he would go to a Gentile.

That paved the way for God to convert Paul and he was made the apostle of the Gentiles and a dispensation which had not been revealed in the OT began when Paul began to preach the "gospel of grace" to the Gentiles at Acts 13:46-48.

The gospel which was preached to the whole world was the "gospel of grace" (Col.1:5-6) and not the "gospel of the kingdom" (Mt.24:14).
I agree more or less with the sequence that you have stated. I disagree that there are two different gospels, as the NT Scriptures simply use the term “the gospel”.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again “heir”,
Please don't lump me in with Jerry. I take the Lord's time to respond with you and I would expect the same toward me. As to the bolded above: Matthew 10:23 KJV
I was saving thread space when mainly the comment and the reply is much the same. Matthew 10:23 does not indicate that they would only preach to the Gentiles after the return of Jesus. The command to preach to all flows down to us as well as the Apostles, and this is before the second coming. Some of the brethren in my meeting have preached the gospel and supported the believers in numerous countries over many years.
Here are two gospels in one verse (Galatians 2:7 KJV). There are several gospels in the Bible. Gospel=good news. All of those gospels in the Bible cannot be the good news of your salvation, but one is. What is it? What is the gospel of YOUR salvation? If you respond correctly and I can show by the scriptures that it was before a mystery, will you believe it?
I do not read Galatians 2:7-9 to say that there are two different gospels, but two areas of activity. One of the passages that I like to quote concerning the gospel and salvation is Acts 8:5-6,12, the Gospel of the Kingdom and the Name. I reinforce this by also showing that this was the Gospel that Paul preached Acts 28:30-31. I also refer to the speeches by Peter in Acts 2 and Acts 3 which give some of the detail of the things concerning the Name of Jesus Christ and the things concerning the Kingdom, and these two items represent a summary of the One Gospel. I accept and believe the teachings contained in Acts 2 and 3.

Kind regards
Trevor

Jerry Shugart

I disagree that there are two different gospels, as the NT Scriptures simply use the term “the gospel”.

The word "gospel" is a translation for a Greek word which means "glad tidings" or "good news."

The "good news" which was preached to the Jews during the Acts period and resulted in those who believed it being born of God is the fact that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God (Jn.20:30-31, 1 Jn.5:1-5).

The "good news" which was preached to the Gentiles during the Acts period concerns the fact that believers are "justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Ro.3:24, Col.1:5-6).

Both are "good news" or gospel but they are not the same gospel.

genuineoriginal

Once again you refuse to deal with the verses which I quoted!

I provided verses that showed that your proof texts do not show the whole story and that your conclusions were in error because you failed to consider the complete testimony of scripture.

Stop trying to claim that your tiny piece of the story is the whole story.
Find the verses that seem to contradict your current conclusions and use the ability to reason that God gave you to move beyond your myopia.

genuineoriginal

That paved the way for God to convert Paul and he was made the apostle of the Gentiles and a dispensation which had not been revealed in the OT began when Paul began to preach the "gospel of grace" to the Gentiles at Acts 13:46-48.

The gospel which was preached to the whole world was the "gospel of grace" (Col.1:5-6) and not the "gospel of the kingdom" (Mt.24:14).
The preaching of Paul and Barnabus ties the gospel Paul preached with the kingdom, proving that the "gospel of grace" is linked to the "gospel of the kingdom" and should not be wrongly divided away from it.

Acts 14:21-22
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,
22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.​

Cntrysner

When a person hears the gospel he either believes it or he doesn't. No one chooses to believe but instead they just believe the gospel. Let us look at the answer given in the following passage by Paul and those with HimL

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"
(Acts 16:30-31).​

They didn't answer by saying "choose to believe" but instead they simply said "believe."

No one has even attempted to answer the following which proves that believing is not a function of the will:

"He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the children of of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God"
(Jn.1:11-13).​

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures"
(Jas.1:18).​

(1 Pet.1:23,25).​

Perhaps you will be the first person who actually addresses these verses.

Amen Jerry, salvation is not by man's will because if it is it has to be by their works and that is why they won't address the truth of scripture you provided because if they have to let their works for salvation go they are condemned.

How is though that we don't choose to believe?

The point is this...genuineoriginal needs his work of water baptism that he chose by his own will to be saved.

Cntrysner

The preaching of Paul and Barnabus ties the gospel Paul preached with the kingdom, proving that the "gospel of grace" is linked to the "gospel of the kingdom" and should not be wrongly divided away from it.

Acts 14:21-22
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,
22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.​

The gospel of Christ is always linked and grace has always been there and will be through any dispensation even throughout eternity. You need to work that out.

genuineoriginal

Amen Jerry, salvation is not by man's will because if it is it has to be by their works and that is why they won't address the truth of scripture you provided because if they have to let their works for salvation go they are condemned.
Protestants think so much about "works salvation" that they keep missing the mark on that point.

I do not believe in doing works for salvation.
I believe that you can only condemn yourself by doing wicked works but you cannot save yourself by doing good works.
That is what the scriptures tell us.

The point is this...genuineoriginal needs his work of water baptism that he chose by his own will to be saved.
Being baptized will not save me, it is an outward act prompted by an inward belief.

The Apostle Paul said this:

Romans 10:13
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.​

Do you believe you can be saved without calling upon the name of the Lord?
I don't.

Do you believe calling on the name of the Lord is "works salvation"?
I don't.

Here is how to call upon the name of the Lord to be saved.

Psalm 6:4
4 Return, O Lord, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.​

genuineoriginal

The gospel of Christ is always linked and grace has always been there and will be through any dispensation even throughout eternity. You need to work that out.
I know what the scriptures teach and know that you are misusing the word "dispensation" because of the foolishness of Darby and the like.