Blaming the chaff for being chaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Right Divider

Body part
Hey, I've been nice.

But what was the wheat before it chose to be wheat, and what was the chaff before it chose to be chaff?

In your defense I now see I'm not asking my question the right way. Will work on it.
You are trying force your bias onto the Bible. Therefore, you ask dumb and silly questions. Whether you think that it's nice or not, it's just true.

Right Divider

Body part
You're not nice. Jesus' commandment was "treat others as you would have others treat you". Food for thought.
I didn't say that I was being nice. I said that what I said was true. Therefore, I am honest.

And Yes, if I were as silly as you I would want others to tell me that. So instead of being a "victim", accept some honesty.

genuineoriginal

So was there ever a time when the unrighteous were righteous?
Throughout our walk through life, we often swap back and forth between being unrighteous and being righteous.

Ezekiel 18:20-24,26-28
20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.
23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord God: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.
27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.
28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.​

Winston Smith

BANNED
Banned
Jesus wasn't nice either.

http://kgov.com/nice

Incorrect. He was nice. He just wasn't milquetoast, he didn't mince words... Do you think Jesus went around being a jerk and being mean b/c "Jesus wasn't nice"? When his disciples pressed him with questions did he say "Sheesh, what are you a dunder head ha ha ha ha..."? Come on, man. You know what's right. Look in yourself and be honest. That's what Jesus told us to do instead of memorizing laws.

way 2 go

Separating chaff from wheat makes sense to me; but I've never been able to get anyone to answer a straight forward question which is; how is it possible to fault chaff for being chaff?

Thanks.

chaff is a part of wheat

you only get chaff at the end of the life of wheat

Mat 3:12 whose fan is in His hand, and He will cleanse His floor and gather His wheat into the storehouse; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

everyone is given a life (wheat) but are spiritually dead unless they are made alive in Christ.
if they remain spiritually dead they are chaff(dead seed)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Incorrect. He was nice. He just wasn't milquetoast, he didn't mince words... Do you think Jesus went around being a jerk and being mean b/c "Jesus wasn't nice"? When his disciples pressed him with questions did he say "Sheesh, what are you a dunder head ha ha ha ha..."? Come on, man. You know what's right. Look in yourself and be honest. That's what Jesus told us to do instead of memorizing laws.
I think you should take back what you said so you don't embarrass yourself, and then go read the article I linked to.

Winston Smith

BANNED
Banned
chaff is a part of wheat

you only get chaff at the end of the life of wheat

Mat 3:12 whose fan is in His hand, and He will cleanse His floor and gather His wheat into the storehouse; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

everyone is given a life (wheat) but are spiritually dead unless they are made alive in Christ.
if they remain spiritually dead they are chaff(dead seed)

I see. So I guess what I'm asking is, what makes one person remain spiritually dead and another not make this mistake?

Winston Smith

BANNED
Banned
I think you should take back what you said so you don't embarrass yourself, and then go read the article I linked to.

Thanks for your concern. Not worried about embarrassing myself b/c I'm being honest, not proceeding from ego or trying to win a debate or trying to make a fool out of anyone. So if there's something wrong with what I said, isn't it better to discover it instead of deleting my post and pretending it didn't happen?

Winston Smith

BANNED
Banned
Jesus wasn't nice either.

http://kgov.com/nice

I was first aware of Bob's take on this circa 1997; am well aware of it. It's not especially revelatory. At the time I took it as something obvious to say b/c he was getting weird people calling into his show saying things like "don't judge". Well, a lot of people are already aware that's out of context, but Bob drew up this essay length thing to answer the stoned late night hippy dippy nit wits who were calling in.

And there's a lot there to talk about, too. But in another thread, right? But it is partly relevant to my question. The people God hates, the people who do evil, who made them evil?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So if there's something wrong with what I said, isn't it better to discover it instead of deleting my post and pretending it didn't happen?

I said for you to retract what you said, not delete it or pretend it didn't happen.

Huge difference.

Incorrect. He was nice.

Jesus wasn't nice, neither were His followers.

He just wasn't milquetoast, he didn't mince words... Do you think Jesus went around being a jerk and being mean b/c "Jesus wasn't nice"?

I think you assign too much niceness to Jesus because otherwise you might be offended.

When his disciples pressed him with questions did he say "Sheesh, what are you a dunder head ha ha ha ha..."?

Not in so many words, but yes.

For example:

Spoiler
Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.It was that Mary who anointed the Lord with fragrant oil and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.Therefore the sisters sent to Him, saying, “Lord, behold, he whom You love is sick.”When Jesus heard that, He said, [JESUS]“This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”[/JESUS]Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.So, when He heard that he was sick, He stayed two more days in the place where He was.Then after this He said to the disciples, [JESUS]“Let us go to Judea again.”[/JESUS]The disciples said to Him, “Rabbi, lately the Jews sought to stone You, and are You going there again?”Jesus answered, [JESUS]]“Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world.But if one walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.”[/JESUS]These things He said, and after that He said to them, [JESUS]“Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”[/JESUS]Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.”However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.Then Jesus said to them plainly, [JESUS]“Lazarus is dead.And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him.”[/JESUS]Then Thomas, who is called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with Him.” - John 11:1-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John11:1-16&version=NKJV

The disciples were a bunch of knuckleheads, and Jesus had to knock some sense into them occasionally...

Come on, man.

:AMR:

You know what's right.

You're right about this, at least...

Look in yourself and be honest.

Sounds like a bunch of new-age dribble.

Are you by chance a new-ager?

If not, quit spouting this nonsense and stick with what the Bible ACTUALLY says.

That's what Jesus told us to do instead of memorizing laws.

Are you just saying that? or do you actually think that that's what Jesus said?

Please show us, if the latter, where Jesus said to "Look in yourself and be honest."

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
And there's a lot there to talk about, too. But in another thread, right? But it is partly relevant to my question. The people God hates, the people who do evil, who made them evil?

No one "made" them evil.

They simply chose to be evil, ie, to reject God.

TrevorL

Greetings again Winston,
Ok, what are we before we choose? Are we good and not foolish? Imagine a time line; imagine someone moving along it. Are they good people for a while and then at some point on the line become wicked?
Yes to some extent there is a process. We all have the potential to go in either direction and some of this result can be because of the various choices that we make. Psalm 1 which uses the figure of chaff is describing the end result of the path of the wicked, but that end result is partly due to their wrong choices, possibly their choice of a wrong environment, of wrong companions. The first two verses depict these two environments, and in a sense they are a warning of what we need to choose, and they are therefore wise counsel as to how we may walk in the path of the righteous, that we may become like a tree planted by the rivers of water and endure and bring forth fruit, and thus not end up being chaff. Yes, there is a timeline in Psalm 1.
Psalm 1:1-6 (KJV):1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. 4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away. 5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. 6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
Verse 1 suggests a slow process of decline, but this can be avoided by choosing and delighting and meditating in the environment of the word of God. The word will affect the heart or the mind, and the heart will affect the thoughts and actions, and the result will be fruit and stability. The figure of the tree and the figure of chaff are end results, and we have the potential to end up in either position, and we will end up as the tree if we listen to the counsel of the Psalmist and the Gospel message and we will receive the Blessing Psalm 1:1, Matthew 5:1-12.

It is not natural for us to delight in the word, nor is it natural for us to meditate constantly in this, but we need to develop this, by firstly choosing this, and gradually becoming used to the word, and this will eventually grab hold of our interest, and prove to be a joy and delight, and the basis of our life.

Kind regards
Trevor

Winston Smith

BANNED
Banned
I said for you to retract what you said, not delete it or pretend it didn't happen.

Huge difference.

You said "take it back".

The Bible is about general principles; so "the truth will set you free", "treat others as you would want them to treat you", "don't just break a commandment, but don't break commandments in your heart, either" "we're made in His image"... lead me to an understanding that the whole idea is to be like Jesus (and he said, in so many words, "be like me" in order to get into Heaven). And so if you judge rightly, and you are being truthful, and not lying, or as I put it, if you're being honest....... People often know better but they rationalize, they lie to themselves, the confuse themselves on purpose, or maybe they don't realize they're doing it...

Put another way, merely "loving God with all your might" and "treating others as you would want them to treat you" ends up encompassing everything else - that is, everything else proceeds out of that; doing that is being like Jesus and if you're truthful then you know what's right b/c you're having God's mind, as 'twere. And in my honest heart I see a difference between not mincing words for someone's own good and putting up stumbling blocks in front of someone for the sake of my ego and ending up with a millstone around my neck.

Anyhoo, this isn't what I wanted to talk about.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You said "take it back".

And?

Retract
1. draw or be drawn back or back in.
"she retracted her hand as if she'd been burned"
• withdraw (a statement or accusation) as untrue or unjustified.

:dunce:

The Bible is about general principles;

Sorry, but it's not.

It contains principles that can be applied to daily life, but that's not what it's about.

so "the truth will set you free", "treat others as you would want them to treat you", "don't just break a commandment, but don't break commandments in your heart, either" "we're made in His image"... lead me to an understanding that the whole idea is to be like Jesus (and he said, in so many words, "be like me" in order to get into Heaven). And so if you judge rightly, and you are being truthful, and not lying, or as I put it, if you're being honest.......

Did I miss something? or did you just not finish your sentence there...

People often know better but they rationalize, they lie to themselves, the confuse themselves on purpose, or maybe they don't realize they're doing it...

Put another way, merely "loving God with all your might" and "treating others as you would want them to treat you" ends up encompassing everything else - that is, everything else proceeds out of that; doing that is being like Jesus and if you're truthful then you know what's right b/c you're having God's mind, as 'twere. And in my honest heart I see a difference between not mincing words for someone's own good and putting up stumbling blocks in front of someone for the sake of my ego and ending up with a millstone around my neck.

Anyhoo, this isn't what I wanted to talk about.

Then why talk about it?

Why start a thread if you can't even stay on topic in your own thread?

:liberals:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.