Understand scripture based in use of terms

Right Divider

Body part
No, but James was writing about the same Kingdom of God that Paul preached.
The kingdom that James as preaching as the SAME kingdom that Jesus was preaching. It's the SAME kingdom where the TWELVE apostles will sit on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel.

Are you going to claim that Paul did not teach the kingdom of God to both the Jews and the Gentiles?
Paul was well versed to preach about all of the various kingdoms of God.

Right Divider

Body part
But it doesn't say anywhere that God counted Matthias as one of the twelve that would rule over the twelve tribes of Israel.
That is simply your ridiculous BIAS preventing your from believing the truth.

Your insistence on Matthias would be one of the rulers over the twelve tribes of Israel is foolish, where keeping an open mind about the possibility of Paul or someone else will take that place is not foolish.
Rubbish... Paul is the apostle of the GENTILES and NOT one of the TWELVE apostles that will with on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel.

If the Bible does not explicitly state something, it is better to be open to alternatives than to insist it is the only possible answer.
There is many things which the Bible does not explicitly state that are still completely true.

Judas was chosen as one of the twelve and was REPLACED per scripture.

Joh 6:70-71 KJV Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? (71) He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Judas' replacement from prophetic:

Act 1:15-26 KJV And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,) (16) Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. (17) For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. (18) Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. (19) And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood. (20) For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take. (21) Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, (22) Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection. (23) And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. (24) And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen, (25) That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. (26) And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

All perfectly in order per God's plans. Never any indication of a problem per scripture.

genuineoriginal

Paul is the apostle of the GENTILES and NOT one of the TWELVE apostles that will with on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel.

Acts 18:4
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.​

and NOT one of the TWELVE apostles that will with on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel.
Paul was chosen to be an apostle by the will of God

2 Corinthians 1:1
1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:​

Matthias was chosen by men by casting lots.

Acts 1:26
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.​

genuineoriginal

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Paul always preached the same kingdom of God to the Jews and to the Gentiles.
Paul preached the whole council of God. Something that the others did not have.
Read the context of that statement.

Acts 20:21-27
21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.​

Repentance towards God, faith towards our Lord Jesus Christ, the Gospel of the Grace of God, and the Kingdom of God are all part of the same message that Paul preached to the Jews and to the Gentiles.

Right Divider

Body part

Acts 18:4
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.​

I really enjoy your FALLACIOUS reasoning.

SO WHAT!? He preached to everyone.... SO WHAT!?

He's NOT the twelfth apostle.

Paul was chosen to be an apostle by the will of God
:duh:

Matthias was chosen by men by casting lots.
Indeed, and this was PER God's way to do it.

There are times in scripture were casting of lots are commanded by God.

Lev 16:8-10 KJV And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat. (9) And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the LORD'S lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering. (10) But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.

So you do NOT invalidate God's choice of Matthias, you simply show your complete ignorance.

P.S. Note the REQUIREMENTS for Judas' replacement:

Act 1:21-23 KJV Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, (22) Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection. (23) And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

You can bet that this was not of the things that Jesus discussed with them during the 40 day kingdom training.

genuineoriginal

Indeed, and this was PER God's way to do it.

There are times in scripture were casting of lots are commanded by God.

Lev 16:8-10 KJV And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat. (9) And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the LORD'S lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering. (10) But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.
The eleven were not commanded to cast lots to choose a twelfth.
Your position is that the twelfth apostle has to be Matthias, my position is that the Bible does not say for sure.
You would be right if it is Matthias or you would be wrong if it is someone else.
I can never be wrong about it.

Who’s the 12th apostle in Rev 21:14?

Most Christians speculate that the twelfth apostle is either Matthias or Paul

we do not know. Scripture does not tell us. However, many believe that it will be Matthias because of the pattern of 12 is directly related to Israel.

Although there are many who think it could be Matthias, there are others who think it could be Paul, because of the great work Paul did in spreading the gospel and building the church.

Nobody really knows for certain, because Revelation 21 doesn’t give their names, but I believe it is Matthias. It seems much more likely that Matthias would be the twelfth because of the pattern of 12 in leadership and government of Israel and because Paul was the “apostle to the Gentiles.” And it seems likely that those whose name are on the foundations of New Jerusalem are the names of twelve who walked with Christ during His earthly ministry.

The twelfth name inscribed on the foundations of New Jerusalem has been discussed and debated for centuries. But, remember, only God knows. I encourage you to do additional study and come to your own decision as to whether it might be Mattias or Paul.

Right Divider

Body part
The eleven were not commanded to cast lots to choose a twelfth.
How do you know that? The Bible does not say that.

Christ trained them for 40 days regarding the things pertaining to the kingdom of God and yet you think that they immediately blundered.

You are the blunderer.

Your position is that the twelfth apostle has to be Matthias, my position is that the Bible does not say for sure.
My position is the Biblical position that says that Matthias was NUMBERED with the eleven.

Your position is one of complete doubt about what God is doing.

The Bible give us NO reason to believe that there is any problem with how Matthias was chosen.

genuineoriginal

You don't get it.... you made a claim that is NOT supported by scripture.
Not quite. I objected to your claim because your claim cannot be supported by scripture.

Your claim is that Matthais is one of the TWELVE apostles that will sit on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel.
But, that is only inferred by you because there is a verse saying that Matthias was numbered with the eleven apostles by the men who decided on their own that they needed to appoint a twelfth apostle.

There are no verses that say that Matthias was chosen by Jesus to be the twelfth Apostle.
There are no verses that say that Matthias will sit on one of the twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Isreal.

Matthias and the Numbering of the Twelve Apostles

Remember that the election of Matthias was held before Pentecost, after which Peter (and his fellows) are suddenly much more effective for God (as one would expect with the coming of the Holy Spirit). Notice too that to "elect" Matthias, they turn to the Old Testament device of casting lots, something Jesus never did and something that is never authorized in the New Testament (or practiced elsewhere ever again). Notice that God did not communicate to Peter the need to get a new number 12 (although Peter did receive direct revelation when it was time to bring the gospel to the gentiles); and notice that when God decided to choose number 12, our Lord Jesus Christ Himself appeared to Paul in a very miraculous way that left no doubt as to God's call, God's "election" of Paul as number 12.

Matthias was no doubt a fine believer, but he was no apostle - except in the eyes of men (and erroneously so). Perhaps it would be more helpful to say about the apostles that "God never had more than 12". Finally, in the Greek text of Acts 1:26, Luke hints that the election, while an understandable thing for these men to do in the circumstances, was not divinely sanctioned. He says of the election of Matthias that he was "voted down along with the eleven" (the verb synkatapsephizo: συγκαταψηφίζω). According to its etymology, the base verb should mean to "vote down" i.e., defeat, or, better, "to condemn". The word itself only occurs one other place in all of Greek literature (Plutarch) where it means "join in condemnation"; here we also have a passive voice so on that model it should mean "be jointly condemned with". There may be doubt on the part of some scholars about the precise meaning of the verb in this context, but according to all linguistic convention it should at the very least convey a negative connotation - something that only makes sense if we see Luke here as being careful not to endorse the election of Matthias (cf. Lk.22:3 where Judas is described as being "of the number" of the disciples [ESV, NKJV, correctly from the Greek], implying that he was not really one in fact).

One final point on this has to do with the procedure followed by Peter and the others. Everywhere else in the Old Testament where the lot is used, godly inquiries start by asking the general question, "should we do A or not?" (e.g. 1Sam.30:8). The question these men should have asked was "should we choose a replacement for Judas or not?", instead of, "here are two choices for you Lord, take it or leave it".

Right Divider

Body part
Not quite. I objected to your claim because your claim cannot be supported by scripture.
You are the one that has ASSUMPTION problems. The scripture shows NO indication that there was a problem with the selection of Matthias to replace Judas.

The scripture says that he was NUMBERED WITH THE ELEVEN, which shows that he was fine with Jesus.

But enough of your stupidity and derailing. If you have anything sensible to say about the OP, please do.

genuineoriginal

You are the one that has ASSUMPTION problems. The scripture shows NO indication that there was a problem with the selection of Matthias to replace Judas.
The scriptures show many indications that there was a problem with the disciples deciding that they needed to fulfill prophecy on their own.
The scripture says that he was NUMBERED WITH THE ELEVEN, which shows that he was fine with Jesus.

You seem to have missed the part I highlighted.
I am assuming that happened because you deliberately refused to read it.
It says that the Greek word used for "numbered" shows that Matthias being chosen as the twelfth is not something that should be praised.

Matthias and the Numbering of the Twelve Apostles

Remember that the election of Matthias was held before Pentecost, after which Peter (and his fellows) are suddenly much more effective for God (as one would expect with the coming of the Holy Spirit). Notice too that to "elect" Matthias, they turn to the Old Testament device of casting lots, something Jesus never did and something that is never authorized in the New Testament (or practiced elsewhere ever again). Notice that God did not communicate to Peter the need to get a new number 12 (although Peter did receive direct revelation when it was time to bring the gospel to the gentiles); and notice that when God decided to choose number 12, our Lord Jesus Christ Himself appeared to Paul in a very miraculous way that left no doubt as to God's call, God's "election" of Paul as number 12.

Matthias was no doubt a fine believer, but he was no apostle - except in the eyes of men (and erroneously so). Perhaps it would be more helpful to say about the apostles that "God never had more than 12". Finally, in the Greek text of Acts 1:26, Luke hints that the election, while an understandable thing for these men to do in the circumstances, was not divinely sanctioned. He says of the election of Matthias that he was "voted down along with the eleven" (the verb synkatapsephizo: συγκαταψηφίζω). According to its etymology, the base verb should mean to "vote down" i.e., defeat, or, better, "to condemn". The word itself only occurs one other place in all of Greek literature (Plutarch) where it means "join in condemnation"; here we also have a passive voice so on that model it should mean "be jointly condemned with". There may be doubt on the part of some scholars about the precise meaning of the verb in this context, but according to all linguistic convention it should at the very least convey a negative connotation - something that only makes sense if we see Luke here as being careful not to endorse the election of Matthias (cf. Lk.22:3 where Judas is described as being "of the number" of the disciples [ESV, NKJV, correctly from the Greek], implying that he was not really one in fact).

One final point on this has to do with the procedure followed by Peter and the others. Everywhere else in the Old Testament where the lot is used, godly inquiries start by asking the general question, "should we do A or not?" (e.g. 1Sam.30:8). The question these men should have asked was "should we choose a replacement for Judas or not?", instead of, "here are two choices for you Lord, take it or leave it".

Right Divider

Body part
The scriptures show many indications that there was a problem with the disciples deciding that they needed to fulfill prophecy on their own.
Even if that were true (and, of course, you give NO reference to any such thing), it does NOT mean that they were wrong about Matthias. Your FALLACIOUS logic gets you into a LOT of trouble.

Last edited:

genuineoriginal

If you have anything sensible to say about the OP, please do.
Here is the OP
There are so many ways to see that Paul's epistles differ greatly from the so-called gospels (M,M,L&J).

During Jesus' earthly ministry to His people Israel, He frequently referred to Himself as "the Son of man".

This term appears 32 times in Matthew, 15 time in Mark, 26 times in Luke and 11 times in John.

The number of times that this term appears in Paul's 13 epistles.... ZERO.... NOT ONCE.

That is a VERY telling fact about Paul's ministry being different from the twelve apostles that will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Paul is probably the 12th apostle that will sit on the twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel because Matthias appears to have been chosen in error.

There is a reason Paul did not refer to Jesus as "the Son of man":
Paul never knew Jesus before the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.
Jesus only referred to Himself as "the Son of man" during His earthly ministry before the cross.

Paul only met Jesus after God exalted Jesus to the highest place, so Paul only knew Him as his Lord.

Philippians 2:8-9 NIV
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,​